Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,922,364 times

Advertisements

Looks like this is moving forward:

"The State Transportation Board voted Thursday to spend $1.7 million to help two Atlanta business groups spruce up two bridges over the Interstate 75/85 Connector."

"The price tag to refurbish all five bridges is $10 million. The DOT plans to provide about one-third of the funding – $3.5 million – with the rest to come through a small grant from the State Road and Tollway Authority and from private sources, including the two self-taxing organizations."

GDOT puts up $1.7M to refurbish two Connector bridges - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,476,893 times
Hmmm....for some reason, I think there might be better ways to spend $10 million to improve Atlanta's image, other than by creating "eye-catching bridges".........

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hmmm....for some reason, I think there might be better ways to spend $10 million to improve Atlanta's image, other than by creating "eye-catching bridges".........
What did you have in mind? Curb appeal is one of the best bang-for-your-buck returns.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,979,191 times
Quote:
Hundreds of thousands of people travel through Atlanta and this is all they ever see of the city. Its about time GDOT spent some money in the City of Atlanta.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What did you have in mind? Curb appeal is one of the best bang-for-your-buck returns.
We're talking about a bridge- not a house that you're trying to sell. Regular upkeep, maintenance and painting is all a bridge needs- as long as it doesn't look like it's falling down, it's fine. No one is going to move a business to, or have a convention in, Atlanta just because they went through on the connector and said "wow- they've got some pretty attractive bridges here".......

How about improving the streetscapes in downtown so the convention visitors have a better view and perception of the area? How about building a homeless shelter that might take some of the homeless off the streets so people don't see them while they're in town? How about hiring additional street cleaners, police and maintenance people to make the city safer and more inviting? How about some advertising campaigns, better signage, banners, or whatever to promote the city or make it easier to find your way?

Do you even know what $10 million looks like, and how much it can do if it's spent wisely?

We're getting a widened overpass in my town, and the City Council approved spending $255k two years ago to have the city's name cast into the side of the bridge, and to have ornamental railings and light poles put in instead of the GDOT standards. They said the bridge would serve as "a gateway to the city", as if it was going to lure people off the interstate to explore what we have to offer. The citizens blew a gasket, as those funds could have been used to improve roads, add sidewalks, or make other transportation improvements in town (they were transportation-only funds). Now that the bridge is nearing completion, we'll have to see what happens when all those folks get lured off the interstate, and can't walk around downtown because the money that would have gone toward sidewalks went toward a pretty bridge instead.

Now multiply that 40x to get to $10 million, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
We're talking about a bridge- not a house that you're trying to sell. Regular upkeep, maintenance and painting is all a bridge needs- as long as it doesn't look like it's falling down, it's fine. No one is going to move a business to, or have a convention in, Atlanta just because they went through on the connector and said "wow- they've got some pretty attractive bridges here".......

How about improving the streetscapes in downtown so the convention visitors have a better view and perception of the area? How about building a homeless shelter that might take some of the homeless off the streets so people don't see them while they're in town? How about hiring additional street cleaners, police and maintenance people to make the city safer and more inviting? How about some advertising campaigns, better signage, banners, or whatever to promote the city or make it easier to find your way?

Do you even know what $10 million looks like, and how much it can do if it's spent wisely?

We're getting a widened overpass in my town, and the City Council approved spending $255k two years ago to have the city's name cast into the side of the bridge, and to have ornamental railings and light poles put in instead of the GDOT standards. They said the bridge would serve as "a gateway to the city", as if it was going to lure people off the interstate to explore what we have to offer. The citizens blew a gasket, as those funds could have been used to improve roads, add sidewalks, or make other transportation improvements in town (they were transportation-only funds). Now that the bridge is nearing completion, we'll have to see what happens when all those folks get lured off the interstate, and can't walk around downtown because the money that would have gone toward sidewalks went toward a pretty bridge instead.

Now multiply that 40x to get to $10 million, and you'll see what I mean.
It is more than just bridges:
I-75/85 Connector Transformation

Old 11-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
No.....the pie-in-the-sky thing you just posted is "more than just bridges"- the $10 million you linked to today is just to "beautify" five bridges. The "Connector Transformation" would easily have a pricetag in the billions as laid out in that presentation.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:39 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,706,253 times
Quote:
Oh-la-la...

Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
No.....the pie-in-the-sky thing you just posted is "more than just bridges"- the $10 million you linked to today is just to "beautify" five bridges. The "Connector Transformation" would easily have a pricetag in the billions as laid out in that presentation.
Billions?! Nope. $40-$50 Mil. The bridges are the most expensive part.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM

7,583 posts, read 10,832,037 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting this! I hadn't seen any updates in awhile.

I'll be sure to comment soon.

I see lots of promising things, a couple of concerns, and room for potential not being met
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta