Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I would love to see every CEO of every major company asked bait questions about hot button political issues so everyone could be boycotting everything. Cathy was straight up asked his opinion on an issue and he answered honestly. Now, should he have answered something like "We just focus on making chicken. I have no comment on that issue"? Maybe he should have. But the question was set up to bait him into giving a controversial answer. Cathy said he supports traditional marriage. You know what? So do many Americans, including President Obama up until recently. In fact, if you voted for Obama in 2008, you obviously didn't care much about gay marriage being legal.

Now, the truly conservative position (which also happens to be the one I agree with) on this issue is to get the government out of people's personal lives. Let them marry who they want, and let churches decide what they will recognize and what they won't.

But with that said, people need to lay off of Chik-fil-A (i.e. the bigotry accusations, etc) and go get worked up about something else. Even when most people agree on most things, the media and politicians will go find an issue to divide us, get us charged up emotionally, and get people turned out to the voting booth in their favor.
I completely agree, except it wasn't a baited question. Cathy didn't get caught in some trap. He was being interviewed by an obscure North Carolina-based religious website. I'm certain he had no inkling that his comments would go any further and turn virile on social media. But he should have known better. I also agree he should have just said "Our business is selling chicken" and left it at that.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,958 times
I went by to show my support. But I eat there all the time for breakfast anyway.

More of a free speech issue. They've always been closed on Sunday's so Cathy's opinion wasn't anything out of left field if you knew they were closed on Sundays.

I don't recall this same group, that is all up in arms, boycotting the president when he made similar comments.

Oh well, at the end of the day. It's a free speech issue and both sides can do what they please

Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,849,221 times
I will eat there, but not today (I don't plan on going out today).

I'm pro gay marriage btw, and I really don't have a problem with this Chick Fil A issue. It's not like they are banning gays from eating or employment.

If it's anybody that we pro gays should be going after, it's got to the boy scouts, especially since all their funds are not private.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:49 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,548 times
Scenario:

Let's be a liberal website in New England trolling the internet for sensational stories.

Let's look for a southern company based in the Bible Belt.

Let's look for a CEO known to support conservative causes.

Let's look for an interview he participated in solely with a religious orginization.

Let's see the response posed to a question in line with said religious organization.

Let's express "shock and awe" when CEO's position mirrors that of religious organization asking questions.

Maybe these reporters/politicians feigning to be upset need to attend more NAACP, Anti Defamation League meetings or HRC dinners to know that attendees who support/attend such events tend to have views in line with such.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Do they allow gay couples to eat there?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM

397 posts, read 843,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
I need to show my support to Chick-Fil-A for standing up for their descriminatory beliefs
Fixed that for you.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,378,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
How very "tolerant" of you to refer to fellow Americans that take a different position on gay marriage as "fox news watching neo nazis".

Was Obama a "neo nazi" when he didnt support gay marriage earlier this year?
You (and a number of other people on here) seem to be under the impression that I am an Obama supporter. Obama is a democrat and I am not a democrat.

Second of all, Dan Cathy put out a video last year I think where when this whole thing started making headlines, he welcomed all people to dine at his Choke-fil-A salt, sugar and grease dispensaries. I took him at his word. Now he's going public with his religious ideologies and I no longer feel welcomed to eat there.
I'm not trying to stifle free speech. He's entitled to speak out but when you're a businessman there are consequences of doing so.

I'm sure a number of other corporations are just as bad, funneling money to politicians who support hateful and discriminatory policies but they aren't on cable news blabbing away about their personal beliefs and thus I don't feel unwelcomed at their establishments.

And third of all, Choke-fila is nothing but overpriced junk food as I stated earlier. There isn't a single thing on that menu that will help you live longer, healthier lives. Therefore, if their aim is to cause early death, they picked precisely the group of people I'd like to see leave this planet first... the hateful religious nut jobs that are hell bent on eating there to make a statement and support what looks to me like a hate group.

Shame there is no universal healthcare system to help for all the health problems from years of eating that garbage but the people eating there didn't want that either. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
I would love to see every CEO of every major company asked bait questions about hot button political issues so everyone could be boycotting everything. Cathy was straight up asked his opinion on an issue and he answered honestly. Now, should he have answered something like "We just focus on making chicken. I have no comment on that issue"? Maybe he should have. But the question was set up to bait him into giving a controversial answer. Cathy said he supports traditional marriage. You know what? So do many Americans, including President Obama up until recently. In fact, if you voted for Obama in 2008, you obviously didn't care much about gay marriage being legal.

Now, the truly conservative position (which also happens to be the one I agree with) on this issue is to get the government out of people's personal lives. Let them marry who they want, and let churches decide what they will recognize and what they won't.

But with that said, people need to lay off of Chik-fil-A (i.e. the bigotry accusations, etc) and go get worked up about something else. Even when most people agree on most things, the media and politicians will go find an issue to divide us, get us charged up emotionally, and get people turned out to the voting booth in their favor.
Fantastic points all the way around.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
I had a sundae from there today. It was a huge line at Peachtree Center Mall. I agree with freedom of speech at all cost.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:07 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I completely agree, except it wasn't a baited question. Cathy didn't get caught in some trap. He was being interviewed by an obscure North Carolina-based religious website. I'm certain he had no inkling that his comments would go any further and turn virile on social media. But he should have known better. I also agree he should have just said "Our business is selling chicken" and left it at that.
I didn't know that was how it started. It still seems like Cathy's comments are being used in a way he probably did not intend, but he should be smarter than that as a CEO of major company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do they allow gay couples to eat there?
Of course they do.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Wow. Its a bad thing for someone to stand up for what they believe in and express it in a non-threatning manner. Amazing.

I had 10 chick-fil A spicy sandwiches today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta