Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 11,205 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my wife and I will be moving to Atlanta in the middle of July. We have been researching areas and think North Druid hills (specifically toco & merry hills) would be a good fit. We are going to rent before buying, since it is highly recommended here.

We will both be working in buckhead. I know its not very far but how is the surface street traffic in this area? Also we would like to ride Marta to downtown/midtown on the weekends. Will it be convenient from this area?

Any other knowledge or advice about the area would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:54 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
North Druid can backup pretty bad sometimes during rush hour (especially friday afternoons), however it's definitely not the worst surface street. Piedmont is way worse. Generally it's worse leaving Buckhead in the afternoon than going in the morning. But the good news is that they just repaved that section around Toco Hills, it was a pothole hell before.

However given that the distance to Buckhead is not far, even if you are moving slowly it will not take you all day to get where you are going.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
It wont be a terrible commute, considering that both Buckhead and Brookhaven abut NDH.
IMO, its a great area with a very committed neighborhood association. Emory U. keeps the area VERY stable. Everyone I know that lives there seems to love it; in fact, many I know that moved there intended to move elsewhere eventually, but never did, opting to renovate instead.
One thing you should know, and I mean this at face value. Merry Hills is dominated by Orthodox Jews (again, a contribution to the stability of the community). They are wonderful people, but dont expect to be included in the neighborhood kaffeklatsch. Unless, of course, you plan to join Congregation Beth Jacob.
Oh, MARTA rail is 10 min away.

Last edited by Iconographer; 06-22-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 11,205 times
Thanks for the responses, I think we're going to like the area

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
Hello- as a new resident of NDH, I was looking for membership associations. The DH association seems to be quite elaborate, but the only association I could find for NDH is NDHRA. They don't seem as active or as out-going for non-permanent residents. As a renter, I'm looking for community information, etc similar to what VaHi's have. Could you give me any direction about where possbile information sources or community links would be? Thank you!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
I heart NDH. I think it is one of the best locations to live in Atlanta. You have easy access to Buckhead, Midtown, VaHi, City of Decatur, downtown, Dunwoody and access to 78 (to Gwinnett) and 285 (OTP). There are tons of rentals in the area but quality does vary. Easy access to great shopping and dining. I find Brookhaven to be more walkable than NDH but does not have easy highway access compare to NDH.

I lived very close to the NE Expressway so I avoided a lot of the gridlock that occurs at various intersections at N. Druid Hills Rd. So, keep that in mind your search to see if you can be close to NE Expressway or along streets where you can take back roads to other major streets.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Traffic is about a zillion times better on the west side of I-85 in that area.

I would expect commuting to Buckhead to be terrible. Brookhaven/North Buckhead would be much easier.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:48 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordola View Post
Hello- as a new resident of NDH, I was looking for membership associations. The DH association seems to be quite elaborate, but the only association I could find for NDH is NDHRA. They don't seem as active or as out-going for non-permanent residents. As a renter, I'm looking for community information, etc similar to what VaHi's have. Could you give me any direction about where possbile information sources or community links would be? Thank you!
what part of NDH do you live in? i have a neighbourhood map i'm working on that has links to many neighbourhood associations. just find the neighbourhood and click on it for more info:

Interactive Atlanta Neighbourhood Map - Google Maps

Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
North Druid to Buckhead traffic is legendary. Invest in a good bicycle

Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 AM

100 posts, read 142,675 times
I don't think it's that bad a commute. Like someone already said, it's not a long distance so even if traffic is bad it doesn't take long. I do it a lot and have never had an issue. I'm sure you'll enjoy the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta