Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM

229 posts, read 473,732 times

Advertisements

I just recently bought a new car and the license plate arrived in the mail, but it's the "new" one that I think looks plain stupid. The "alternate" standard tag is much more to my taste (just the peach in the center of the plate) so can I just go up to the DMV and have them swapped? I assume there would be a fee, but how much would it be? The dealer told me that I wouldn't have a choice yet the DMV website indicates otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 11:23 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Tag fee is $20

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
I just went through this. They sent me the new pumpkin plate. You can go down to the county and swap them for $20. Not worth the bucks to me. By next year I won't care.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
So long story short... I bought a new car, but for a few months I have to keep my old car (family sentimental reasons).
I had one of those UGA license plates, which charge $35/year (and I'm no longer doing that with my new car, but I will miss it!).

So I still had to pay taxes and insurance on this second car... In an effort to make it cheaper to hold on to I got rid of the UGA plate. I went to the tag office (gwinnett) to ask how much it cost to switch and find out if I could still save money by switching.

What I found out is you pay a $20 yearly tag fee anyways and the switch was absolutely free.

What I'm unaware of... Did I have to wait until I was paying my annual tax for it to be free? Was it only because I was getting rid of the UGA plate? If it was a normal tag would there have to be a reason? damage? etc...

Anyways I never paid for the plate switch, so maybe that will be helpful to some.

I'm in the same boat with my new car. I have the "pumpkin plate" (good call neil! ). I'm going to wait until near my birthday next year, pay my taxes in person, and ask what I can do at the lowest cost possible to have a new plate.

Btw, small pet peeve issue. I want to ignore the whole religion in gov't debate, but the "in god we trust" plates are tacky!!!! It isn't like they wrote eloquently in the background or like it is on our money. More importantly, it took away the county sticker! Why can't we have pride in what county we are from?

Old 08-15-2012, 12:04 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Btw, small pet peeve issue. I want to ignore the whole religion in gov't debate, but the "in god we trust" plates are tacky!!!! It isn't like they wrote eloquently in the background or like it is on our money. More importantly, it took away the county sticker! Why can't we have pride in what county we are from?
I'm not going to get into the religious debate either, but I have never heard of county pride. I've heard people being proud of their hometown or their home state, but never their home county. That must be a Georgia thing since a lot of counties here tend to have a lot of unincorporated areas.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I'm not going to get into the religious debate either, but I have never heard of county pride. I've heard people being proud of their hometown or their home state, but never their home county. That must be a Georgia thing since a lot of counties here tend to have a lot of unincorporated areas.
We have really small counties (spatially) compared to most states. Originally our county system was set up to have each county anchored by one major town with a few outlying towns. Whenever a town got big enough it was given its own county, so to an extent county and hometown pride use to go hand and hand a long time ago. You can still see rural counties in Georgia today that are built and set up that way. (Greenesboro - Green Co.)

Modern day... I think for most people it is just simply we had county names on our license plates for a long time and it is what people are use to.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM

37 posts, read 76,306 times
How are we even supposed to get a new plate? I renewed my car registration last month (online) and they just sent me a sticker for my old tag, just like always.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane078 View Post
How are we even supposed to get a new plate? I renewed my car registration last month (online) and they just sent me a sticker for my old tag, just like always.
Not everyone gets a new plate. If your plate is one of the black and white plates with "Georgia.gov" then you will not get a new one, at least not now. Only people with the older style plates will get them replaced.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane078 View Post
I went to my county tag office when I paid my annual tax. It took me about 10 minutes... but I'm sure that varies from county to county.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:43 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Anyone know the life of a plate here? The life of a plate here seems to be pretty short (<7-8 years, I would presume) in relations to other states. I noticed, my neighbor received a new plate with his renewal in May and his truck is a 2003 or 2004.

My sister in Maryland still has her first plate from 1994...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta