Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times

Advertisements

I was not giving an analysis of "how eachnrace handles panhandlers." i was explaining why I believe the City Council has been non-responsive to the problem andwhy I believe the panhandlers made the accusations they did. How could that not be germane to the topic of Atlanta not dealing with the panhandler problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Let me explain something about Atlanta.

For many years, expecially in the 80s and 90s, Atlanta was super desperate to be taken seriously as a major city. That's the feeling that fueled the bid for the Olympics. Atlanta had a huge chip on its shoulder and wanted to be taken seriously more than anything.

That's the attitude that led to a lot of the problems we have now. Anything that was a problem of urban life.....traffic, beggars, crime....not only was it not dealt with, it was in some kind of sick way welcomed. Because it meant Atlanta had arrived. Big cities have traffic, beggars, and crime, so if Atlanta has them too, that must mean we're a big important city!

Anybody who has lived here for at least 15 years understands what I'm talking about.

The problem is, Atlanta has fallen behind the curve. Those aren't the qualities that people want anymore. While all the other big important cities are figuring out how to tackle these problems and correct them, Atlanta is still to some degree stuck in the "that's part of life in the city" mode. To quote Cyrus, "that's crap, brothers." Those are things associated with CRAPPY cities. Good cities try to figure out how to curb the problems and rest on other laurels, they don't welcome the problems of urban life as some sort of bizarre validation of their importance in the world.

We have become reactive instead of proactive. By the time we figure out how to deal with all of these problems, every other good city will have already solved them and be way ahead of us. When Detroit is making a serious effort to solve a problem that you still have, you know you are in trouble.

Get out of your acceptance of urban problems to try to seem urban, Atlanta. Figure out what people want. No longer will people accept being harassed just as part of city life. There are too many good cities that don't have it, it's not just part of city life anymore. It's only part of life in crappy cities.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times
oh lord..

Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Let me explain something about Atlanta.

For many years, expecially in the 80s and 90s, Atlanta was super desperate to be taken seriously as a major city. That's the feeling that fueled the bid for the Olympics. Atlanta had a huge chip on its shoulder and wanted to be taken seriously more than anything.

That's the attitude that led to a lot of the problems we have now. Anything that was a problem of urban life.....traffic, beggars, crime....not only was it not dealt with, it was in some kind of sick way welcomed. Because it meant Atlanta had arrived. Big cities have traffic, beggars, and crime, so if Atlanta has them too, that must mean we're a big important city!

Anybody who has lived here for at least 15 years understands what I'm talking about.
I've been here far longer than 15 years, and with regard to traffic, beggars and crime, neither you nor I have any idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Wow, you guys really weren't paying attention in those days.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:37 PM
JPD

Quote:
Wow, you guys really weren't paying attention in those days.
Atlanta "welcomed" traffic, beggars, and crime? Not only is that absurd and laughably false, all of those things existed prior to the time period you are referring to.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Okay, maybe "welcomed" was the wrong verb.

How about this: Atlanta did nothing to curb these growing problems instead opting to allow them to metastasize to where they are today.

Surely somebody else out there knows what I'm talking about. When I talk about this idea of Atlanta allowing anything associated with "big cities" good or bad, most Atlanta natives totally agree with that statement.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
JPD

Quote:

How about this: Atlanta did nothing to curb these growing problems instead opting to allow them to metastasize to where they are today.

Surely somebody else out there knows what I'm talking about. When I talk about this idea of Atlanta allowing anything associated with "big cities" good or bad, most Atlanta natives totally agree with that statement.
That's massively insulting. Much of the crime and begging of that time period was the direct result of the crack epidemic. Are you honestly trying to state that law enforcement, the mayor, and the city council "did nothing" to reduce these problems?

As for traffic, I guess you never heard of GDOT's "Freeing the Freeways" project. Granted, traffic is still bad, but to suggest nothing was done is dishonest, at best.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:30 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say that Atlanta has done nothing to curb the panhandling problem either...a search for "Atlanta panhandling problem" yielded lots of results. Here are just a few:

Stop Panhandling Campaign Update | Downtown Atlanta
Reed pledges to aggressively address panhandling *| ajc.com
Donation meters part of Atlanta's anti-panhandling effort | The San Diego Union-Tribune
Atlanta Lawmakers Approve Panhandling Ban | Fox News
Atlanta Rule Aims to Curb Begging | www.wsbtv.com
Plans & Initiatives | STOP Panhandling
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/panh...-a-371085.html

So it's really not fair to say that the city hasn't acted on this problem...it has, and quite often in the 22 years I've lived here.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 08-21-2012 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2012, 03:07 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Nope. I mean black liberal guilt.
You may have coined a new phrase for our 21st century lexicon, Roslyn!

I Googled it and the only hit was a skit on the Jon Stewart show.

Black Liberal Guilt - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 11/06/08 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta