Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM

100 posts, read 142,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Of Deen View Post
Mate, I just wouldn't move at this time in your life. Wait until your wife has the baby in London so that you aren't caught up in this convoluted American insurance racket. It's just not worth blowing all your dosh on some greedy "health" corporation scheme.

And when you do decide to move to the States, please place San Francisco way, way, way above Atlanta as your potential new home. Trust me on this, as a fellow Brit.
Very true. Have your baby in the UK. Its free. And for the record, it was me who said that most Brits don't know where Atlanta is. In the same way, most Americans don't know where Birmingham (2nd tier, UK city, industry hub) is either. I doubt there are many Brummies who would bother arguing the point....
Anyway, as a fellow Brit, yes San Fran is the US city that is the most like London. More than NYC even. Not the same, but not a culture shock. Atlanta is a culture shock. It's a big sprawling mass of strip malls interspersed with quaint neighborhoods that managed to avoid being knocked down (not for want of trying) surrounded by an even bigger mass of suburban strip malls and subdivisions (think home counties if they knocked everything down and built a McDonalds every 3 miles or so. Kind of like a never ending Croydon.) There is no cohesive public transportation system so you have to drive most of the time.
That's not to say its bad. Some people love it. You might. Just visit, drive around and look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:54 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I only know the gay nightlife, and it wasn't nearly as lively and fun as Atlanta's. Again, that's just my opinion.
Yes Gay nightlife over there was wack lol I had friends from france and London come here last year and they loved it here. I studied abroad there with AIU and boy oh boy its definitely a culture shock. They only thing that I really enjoyed was shopping thats about it. Far as transport The average person in London commutes over an hour to get to work, which is no better than what people do in Atlanta . For a city that is as large as london why does the subway close at 12:30 oh I forgot like Marta there doing maintenance to only wake up to Major Delays on the Circle, District, Bakerloo and Metropolitans lines, Did I forget the subway is very expensive. Even though I like the shopping, the shopping is a right pain in the arse as london has the bizarre trait of filling entire streets with only one kind of shop. so, you end up travelling all over the city to satisfy what would in any other city be a reasonably simple list of items to collect – generally within walking distance of each other.

Is it me do the people look miserable on a daily? and English sure are obsessed with our celebs, our music stars our music etc. London is only worth it if you are FILTHY rich if you are not rich then London can be a nightmare. Crap transport, high prices, horrid/non-existent customer service, early closings of all general services (post office, doctors, dentists) need I say more. Hard to believe Brits put up with it. I think London is definitely a unique place and there is no other place like it – that’s for sure. It does have some cool things but, most of the time, the bad out weighs the good. You have to master the art of “turning a blind eye” in order to live in London.The sun like..NEVER shining is a real disappointment and people definitely suffer with depression and low moods there. London provides a poor quality of life – mainly driven by its excessive costs/taxes, inefficiency, unfavourable weather, bad service, and pollution.

Thats just a few things I could come up with.

Things arent 100 percent perfect in Atlanta, Same can be said about London..

Last edited by Staysean23; 08-28-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 PM

139 posts, read 207,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyjo View Post
Anyway, as a fellow Brit, yes San Fran is the US city that is the most like London. More than NYC even. Not the same, but not a culture shock. Atlanta is a culture shock. It's a big sprawling mass of strip malls interspersed with quaint neighborhoods that managed to avoid being knocked down (not for want of trying) surrounded by an even bigger mass of suburban strip malls and subdivisions (think home counties if they knocked everything down and built a McDonalds every 3 miles or so. Kind of like a never ending Croydon.) There is no cohesive public transportation system so you have to drive most of the time.
That's not to say its bad. Some people love it. You might. Just visit, drive around and look.
I think a never-ending Milton Keynes is more appropriate for Atlanta. Croydon is still rather dense and has adequate public transport.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM

139 posts, read 207,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is just another opinion...I lived in the UK and thought the health care was atrocious. It took me 4 months just to get an appointment and I had a pressing medical condition at the time, and the doctor was subpar at best. There are probably good points and bad for each type of system, but to say that one is defintively better is just not true because it depends on individual needs.
Where in the UK did you live, for how long, and which hospitals were treating you? What pressing medical condition did you have? Sounds more like Republican talking points word for word, rather than a genuine anecdote. I've lived long enough in the States to have memorised the Republican "playbook" used to scare Americans into thinking Obamacare is a Bolshevik plot. Utter *******s!

As the Olympics showed you, most of Britain loves the NHS. Is it perfect, no. But it's far superior to the American health care system.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:26 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yes Gay nightlife over there was wack lol I had friends from france and London come here last year and they loved it here. I studied abroad there with AIU and boy oh boy its definitely a culture shock. They only thing that I really enjoyed was shopping thats about it. Far as transport The average person in London commutes over an hour to get to work, which is no better than what people do in Atlanta . For a city that is as large as london why does the subway close at 12:30 oh I forgot like Marta there doing maintenance to only wake up to Major Delays on the Circle, District, Bakerloo and Metropolitans lines, Did I forget the subway is very expensive. Even though I like the shopping, the shopping is a right pain in the arse as london has the bizarre trait of filling entire streets with only one kind of shop. so, you end up travelling all over the city to satisfy what would in any other city be a reasonably simple list of items to collect – generally within walking distance of each other.

Is it me do the people look miserable on a daily? and English sure are obsessed with our celebs, our music stars our music etc. London is only worth it if you are FILTHY rich if you are not rich then London can be a nightmare. Crap transport, high prices, horrid/non-existent customer service, early closings of all general services (post office, doctors, dentists) need I say more. Hard to believe Brits put up with it. I think London is definitely a unique place and there is no other place like it – that’s for sure. It does have some cool things but, most of the time, the bad out weighs the good. You have to master the art of “turning a blind eye” in order to live in London.The sun like..NEVER shining is a real disappointment and people definitely suffer with depression and low moods here. London provides a poor quality of life – mainly driven by its excessive costs/taxes, inefficiency, unfavourable weather, bad service, and pollution.

Thats just a few things I could come up with.

Things arent 100 percent perfect in Atlanta, Same can be said about London..
No it isn't just you...they are miserable for the most part, but maybe they aren't all that aware of it. The general population lives very much below that standard that we have here - I agree, a very poor quality of life there. I was kind of on the poor side there as well, where I am solidly middle-class in the U.S.

Funny story...I had just gotten a shipment of my things from Atlanta and I was telling this guy I met that one huge box was all of my coats. He couldn't believe that I had several winter coats when most Londoners just have the one. It was very telling about life there.

I agree with your entire post.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Where in the UK did you live, for how long, and which hospitals were treating you? What pressing medical condition did you have? Sounds more like Republican talking points word for word, rather than a genuine anecdote. I've lived long enough in the States to have memorised the Republican "playbook" used to scare Americans into thinking Obamacare is a Bolshevik plot. Utter *******s!

As the Olympics showed you, most of Britain loves the NHS. Is it perfect, no. But it's far superior to the American health care system.
You actually expect me to publish my medical conditions here on city-data? Don't ask such personal questions. Wow, I guess I can add education woes to my list of UK shortcomings.

You can question the validity of my story all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I lived there for 2 years...Earl's Court, Eardley Crescent. I'm far from Republican...so you must not recognize things as well as you think. Any more personal questions?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Very true. Have your baby in the UK. Its free. And for the record, it was me who said that most Brits don't know where Atlanta is. In the same way, most Americans don't know where Birmingham (2nd tier, UK city, industry hub) is either. I doubt there are many Brummies who would bother arguing the point....
What do you expect when you make a decision to live out in the burbs? It's not real smart to locate there and then complain that it's not like the city. Of course it isn't...but you have choices in Atlanta just like anywhere else. You can live in an urban, walkable, dense area or you can live in suburban hell. You chose hell apparently.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
[quote=JoeTarheel;25852227]No it isn't just you...they are miserable for the most part, but maybe they aren't all that aware of it. The general population lives very much below that standard that we have here - I agree, a very poor quality of life there. I was kind of on the poor side there as well, where I am solidly middle-class in the U.S.

Funny story...I had just gotten a shipment of my things from Atlanta and I was telling this guy I met that one huge box was all of my coats. He couldn't believe that I had several winter coats when most Londoners just have the one. It was very telling about life there.

I agree with your entire post. [/QUOTE

Yes about the Winter coats. lol I notice that too..People there have no interesting hobbies – it’s too costly and there’s no room for any sports gear in the dinky apartments. So people just work, eat and drink week after week. Actually, to have fun on the weekend people grab a Ryan Air flight and LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

The only people who think living in London is great is those on welfare benefits or those who have never lived in another city or country (no sense of relativity) Or the ones who are filthy rich . Would hate to attempt to raise a family there.

I dont know if you notice with the orange juice there.. Cold toast I can understand, that’s just a cultural difference. But hot orange juice? What idiot makes orange juice from a frozen can and boiling water? It’s not tea!!!!!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:26 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Mate, I just wouldn't move at this time in your life. Wait until your wife has the baby in London so that you aren't caught up in this convoluted American insurance racket. It's just not worth blowing all your dosh on some greedy "health" corporation scheme.

And when you do decide to move to the States, please place San Francisco way, way, way above Atlanta as your potential new home. Trust me on this, as a fellow Brit.
Have you actually lived there or are you speaking as a tourist? Really, if you don't have high income, San Francisco is not manageable. Housing cost in particular is worse than anything else.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:
I did see some similarities between SF and London, such as the abundance of hills and the new skyscraper (the Shard) which looks like the Transamerica Pyramid in SF. Still, I think Seattle is more like London IMO, as I stated earlier. Then again, Seattle and SF have been said to be similar to each other. I think a Londonite (or Londoner?) can enjoy living in Seattle as well, and it is a popular city for Brits to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta