Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 04:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
QUOTE=Staysean23;25853077]

Everyone I know has more than 1 bleeding coat over there. For god sakes my aunt has more than 15 pairs of jeans. It is honestly not that expensive. Cost of living here and there are about the same. You can get a much bigger house here, but then calculate all the costs that come with that. Healthcare over here isn't cheap either. Gas is cheaper, but you drive much more.

The average salary in London is $75,000 compared to New York which is $51,000. London is expensive, but people also get paid more. The only major difference is having a larger house in the states. Not sure how standard of living is less. They all have the same amenities we have in the sates. We are not particularly wealthy and we have lived in five countries, and still like it over there. I think that it is a plus that over 80% of the British population have been abroad. Its gives people a better understanding of the world and its cultures. Besides England is the same size of Alabama. It is a small country so one would expect its populace to travel abroad fro holidays.

About shopping, have you never been to a shopping center (Uxbridge, westfield)? You can always go to an Asda or Tesco and find almost everything you need under a roof. The only explanation I can come up with is that you were living in a ****ty place like Slough.

I'm not sure where you've had hot orange juice.... We just get one in a tetra-pak from Tesco. Never had cold toast either.

Its a shame that you did not enjoy your short time in London. Even if you did not like it, I hope you made the most of it. We lived in Saudi for three years (I was too young to remember most of it), but is was real difficult to live there with the mutaween patrolling the street. If its not a permanent move, make the most of it.
I didn't have a bad time at all but it is not a place I would never consider moving too. Paris on the other hand I could if I had the resources. Atlanta offers me more bang for my buck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I didn't have a bad time at all but it is not a place I would never consider moving too. Paris on the other hand I could if I had the resources. Atlanta offers me more bang for my buck
I think it's pretty evident that people feel like they can talk all kinds of trash about Atlanta but heaven forbid someone have anything negative to say about a city like London (or any number of other cities).

It's all about personal opinions.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:31 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,275 times
I moved to ATL for a job in May and previously lived for 6 years in San Francisco, and 3 in NYC.
If SF and ATL are your two US options, I would definitely choose San Francisco.

Atlanta has some ok pockets here and there, and very nice people, but the overall experience has been mostly unpleasant. It's very hot and humid, and you must drive everywhere, usually in busy traffic. Those two factors alone make it hard to recommend.

I would also be wary of the fact that the housing costs in Atlanta seem so low. Purchasing a condo or foreclosed home is unbelievably inexpensive. However, renting in a nice neighborhood, or even a marginally nice neighborhood, is not inexpensive at all. It's about the same as renting in a place like Portland or Boulder.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,866 times
London is better city and the pay totally makes up for the cost of living. You guys win.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
London is better city and the pay totally makes up for the cost of living. You guys win.
I've been to London twice, and I love some of the areas to the south of the city (I stayed in a little inn in Godalming, Surrey, and that was beautiful). It *is* a beautiful city, but it has also had a bit of head start in its development.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I'm actually considering living in London, at least for a year or so. My only concern is the COL and getting a job that pays enough to survive it.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:51 AM

13 posts, read 12,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm actually considering living in London, at least for a year or so. My only concern is the COL and getting a job that pays enough to survive it.
You want to live in a nice place like Surbiton, Hampton, Kington upon Thames - Excellent living spaces, Lovely Leaft/Green part of London, River Thames a stones throw (literally at the bottom of my garden!) and 25 minutes on the sprinter (45 mins tops) on the train to London.

Live around here 12 years.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by london-tawn View Post
You want to live in a nice place like Surbiton, Hampton, Kington upon Thames - Excellent living spaces, Lovely Leaft/Green part of London, River Thames a stones throw (literally at the bottom of my garden!) and 25 minutes on the sprinter (45 mins tops) on the train to London.

Live around here 12 years.
Sounds nice! I'll have to look into it. How much does rent go for around there? I've been checking some flats on zoopla.co.uk, and have found some reasonable rents, a lot less than what I expected. Also, is it easy for an American to get a job there, like in the IT, entertainment, or travel industry?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Sounds nice! I'll have to look into it. How much does rent go for around there? I've been checking some flats on zoopla.co.uk, and have found some reasonable rents, a lot less than what I expected. Also, is it easy for an American to get a job there, like in the IT, entertainment, or travel industry?
The job market is relative - yes there are contractor and permenant jobs avialable.
Its a case of speaking to right employment bureaus in London.

Depends on what you want - quality, distance to public transport which is excellent.
I can walk 2 mins from my door to a bus stop stop (bus every 10 minutes) and in another 15 be at a train station that will take 30 to 45 minutes to central london.

2 bed + 1.5 bath apartment = £1275
3 bed + 2 bath house (semi detached) = £1500 to £1750
its relative you will easily find a place to suit budget and size, but its hyper competitive.
You need to take 2 days out, go to agents in the area, arrange viewings that day and make an offer the moment you like a place. Its v dense so during University start times its harder to find a place.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:24 AM

As the OP, jsut wanted to thank everyone for sensible and relevant input (you know who you are!).

My wife and i have visa interview at the e/o Oct, though company has confirmed i will based in Denver, CO for 6 months, then probably SFO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta