Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 AM

56 posts, read 103,803 times

Advertisements

If it wouldn't be too much trouble can someone give me a price check (or a guess) on 1 or a few of the items listed below? I want to compare them to how much they cost in my state.

Snacks
Lay's Potato Chips (Ruffled)
Cheetos (Puffs)
Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake Rolls

Frozen Meals
Banquet Frozen Dinners (not family size)
Marie Callender's
Hungry Man

Prepared Meals
Hamburger Helper
Velveeta Cheesy Skillets
Chef Boyardee (any variety)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
here krogers weekly ad take look thru it most of the stuff on your list is in it somewhere,

Kroger Weekly Ads

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,373,478 times
That's quite a diet.

If you're trying to compare costs of living based on groceries, you're going to find that they're pretty much the same everywhere, possibly fractionally cheaper here because of relatively less transportation and a lot of competition when it comes to supermarkets. But whether you pay $4.29 for a bag of chips or $3.49 (Those are actual prices of a bag of doritos... I bought a bag the week before last that was $4.29 and then it went on sale the next week and was $3.49) is really a drop in the bucket compared to other areas such as:

cost of auto insurance
cost of health insurance
cost of actual healthcare, dentist work etc
cost of getting around (transit fares, tolls etc)
cost of gas
cost of electricity
cost of natural gas or heating oil
cost of water and sewer
cost of state income taxes
cost of sales taxes
cost of property taxes
cost of education
opportunity cost of potentially long commutes and living in sprawlburbia

and
cost of rent or real estate.

Don't forget to compare wages or salaries too.
If you haven't considered those things, I'd suggest weighing those costs more heavily than the price of a package of Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake Rolls.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
If it wouldn't be too much trouble can someone give me a price check (or a guess) on 1 or a few of the items listed below? I want to compare them to how much they cost in my state.

Snacks
Lay's Potato Chips (Ruffled)
Cheetos (Puffs)
Little Debbie Strawberry Shortcake Rolls

Frozen Meals
Banquet Frozen Dinners (not family size)
Marie Callender's
Hungry Man

Prepared Meals
Hamburger Helper
Velveeta Cheesy Skillets
Chef Boyardee (any variety)
I hope you are using this as some sort of base and not an actual diet. I'm pretty sure there is not a natural ingredient in any of those items...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM

164 posts, read 375,365 times
Default same as anywhere else in the USA except grocery tax

I think the gorcery tax at least in Atlanta/Fulton County is about 4%... which is higher than somes places like MN that don't have grocery tax... only tax on take-out or restaurant.

But the grocery prices in GA are comparable to anywhere I have been in the USA. Kroger and Publix are the big players and they operate in other states besides GA. I believe Kroger is based in Ohio and Publix is based in Florida. Trader Joes and Aldi (the ultra-low-cost German chains) are also here, and they cater to those that are price sensitive. Whole Foods and niche groceries (Savi, The Mercantile, Decatur Farmers Market, etc.) cater to the higher end.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pignchick View Post
I think the gorcery tax at least in Atlanta/Fulton County is about 4%... which is higher than somes places like MN that don't have grocery tax... only tax on take-out or restaurant.

But the grocery prices in GA are comparable to anywhere I have been in the USA. Kroger and Publix are the big players and they operate in other states besides GA. I believe Kroger is based in Ohio and Publix is based in Florida. Trader Joes and Aldi (the ultra-low-cost German chains) are also here, and they cater to those that are price sensitive. Whole Foods and niche groceries (Savi, The Mercantile, Decatur Farmers Market, etc.) cater to the higher end.
Decatur Farmer's Market is only a once a week (or less) thing. Your Dekalb Farmer's Market (YDFM) is an actual store, just outside of Decatur, and tends to be significantly cheaper than other grocery stores.

I don't mean to nit-pick. Just wanted to chime in since sometimes people confuse YDFM and Decatur Farmer's Market.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
Can't help with anything on your list but the chips. I just bought a large bag yesterday of Lay's and they were nearly $4.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I know that for consumer price index measures, a basket of goods is used, but I don't think it applies in the food category.

A bag of Lay's chips will probably sell for the suggested retail price printed on the bag, $4.29 or whatever it is. But at any given time, one of the grocery stores is probably slashing the price down, offering buy one get one free, or offering a similar deal on a competing brand. So unless you are brand loyal, store loyal, and unwilling to wait, you will never pay full price. Most people will buy whatever brand is on special, go to a competing store that is having a sale, or buy a few bags when they see them on sale and not get them when they are full price.

So a price check of food items at any particular time isn't a very accurate of food costs. The only way to tell that would be to keep track of all purchases over the course of a year so you can get an average of what you are paying.

The biggest thing I will say about the Atlanta food market is if you are budget conscious, it's easy to get knock-off brands for dirt cheap at ALDI. Also, unlike in Florida, Publix will allow you to purhcase a single BOGO (buy one, get one) item at half price if you only want one and not two.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,926 times
Aldi has everything you need. If you go elsewhere, it's because you enjoy wasting money.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Quote:
Aldi has everything you need. If you go elsewhere, it's because you enjoy wasting money.
This a pretty gross overstatement, but you can save significant money by making certain purchases at Aldi.

At some point, most people are going to:

* Want something Aldi does not stock
* Not have a debit card and not want to get cash before shopping
* Want or need to shop after 8pm or before 9am
* Prefer a national or another store brand over the Aldi brand

Aldi can be a money saver, but for most people, it is not one stop shopping for all of their food needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: