Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 990 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for a move in ready 3/2 home in-town in the 250-275k price range which has pretty much narrowed our choices to GP, east Atlanta, and Kirkwood. We possibly have the option of building a home on the south end of the GP area and are trying to decide if it's a good decision.

We just got out of a nightmare condo situation my husband was in and definitely looking for somewhere that our house is more likely to hold at least some value and is a family friendly area that we can stay in at least 5-7 years.

For those of you in GP now are you still happy? How is the neighborhood overall and do you not regret moving to the area. Any feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Any kids in the mix?

If seeing some appreciation (or at a minimum, maintaining value) is the ultimate goal, I'd say Kirkwood is probably the best option on your list. I think the way the schools there (and gas prices) are trending give it a better chance to gain value in the time frame you considering. That's not a knock on Grant Park, I just think that you may have more "move in ready" options in Kirkwood in your price range. I don't think you'd end up in a hole in either area (although once you factor in agent commissions, closing costs, moving costs, etc, it can be tough to break even in that time frame even if house gains value), I just see a bit more upside in Kirkwood.

I wouldn't discount Oremwood Park either.

Last edited by red92s; 08-31-2012 at 05:22 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
I've been watching this, curious to see the responses but seems there has not been much. I always though Grant Park was a good choice for a decent area, charter school possibility, nice park,great farmers market, intown location etc. But the last few times the subject has come up here there has been little response, much not be many posters here that live in the area.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 AM

25 posts, read 76,200 times
I live in Grant Park and it's good overall and excellent with kids. It seems like everyone buying homes lately (last year or two) either has small children or is on the verge of having small children, so if you have a young family, it's really a great place. Anecedotally it seems like home prices here are recovering as many of the nicer houses i've seen going up for sale are selling very quickly, often under contract within a couple of days. The schools (outside of the charter school, which is already good) are going to improve in the next few years as the wave of not-yet school aged children hits. The charter school is already overfull, so many of these will be heading to Parkside. Someone mentioned Ormewood Park in another post, definitely check that out too, it's between EAV and GP and very similar to GP.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
I moved to Kirkwood almost 2 years ago and its a great place. Toomer E.S. is really moving forward and as those kids move up to Coan M.S. the school will rapidly improve more than it is now. The neighborhood is very close and we all work hard to constantly improve the area. It is served by 2 MARTA stations and 2 bus routes, so transit is always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta