Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,078,076 times

Advertisements

Nairobi always comes in to defend Houston. He (she?) likes Houston...that's great.

I have lived in 10 different cities in my life. Houston was hands down the worst one. I never liked Houston, but I was also a kid when I lived there, so I never really claim to speak about it on any authority, except the weather, which is something that doesn't change over time. However, I can say that in my discussions with people, whenever Houston comes up I talk about how I had a rather negative experience there, and pretty much everybody chimes in says it's the worst place they've ever lived as well.

As always, your mileage may vary depending on what you're looking for, where exactly you live, if you have a lot of friends, how much money you make, etc. I've just never really run across a city as universally hated by most people who have ever step foot in it. In all my years, I've only met one person who grew up in Houston and liked it. And I'm not even sure if you could say she liked it, she just says, "it's not THAT bad."

But I do think that Atlanta and Houston do share a lot of similarities. Both have horrible air pollution in the summer, and both are cities that people typically relocate to just because they have a job there, not because they just thought it would be an awesome place to live.

So maybe Nairobi has a ton of friends in Houston, maybe he or she has a great paying job there, maybe there's some other circumstance that would pretty much make you like any place you are. Omaha or Kansas City would be great cities if you made tons of money and had tons of friends, but you don't exactly hear people touting them otherwise. Maybe they are great places, I don't know, but you don't hear too many people who can't wait to move there. I don't know a single person who has ever lived in Houston that is in any kind of a hurry to get back. If they miss Texas, they usually want to go to Austin or maybe Dallas, but usually Austin.

I don't know if any of this matters, but I lived in a place called Sugar Land, which I think is a far out suburb. I went to John Foster Dulles middle school and we lived in Sugar Creek Country Club. The neighborhood was awesome, but probably like a lot of sprawling country clubs, it didn't have that much of a feeling of community and Dulles was definitely leaps and bounds the bigget cess pool of a school I have ever attended. That was my personal experience, just for full disclosure of what shades my opinion of Houston. It could be that I would go there as an adult and love it, I have just never heard anything from anybody in discussions of Houston that would make me think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
<big yawn>

Sweetie, it's not up to you to "correct" other people's opinions.
Perhaps it isn't up to them, but correcting misinformation can certainly be helpful to others.

Keep in mind that these threads are kept around for years, and might still be useful references years later.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,359,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Nairobi always comes in to defend Houston. He (she?) likes Houston...that's great.

I have lived in 10 different cities in my life. Houston was hands down the worst one. I never liked Houston, but I was also a kid when I lived there, so I never really claim to speak about it on any authority, except the weather, which is something that doesn't change over time. However, I can say that in my discussions with people, whenever Houston comes up I talk about how I had a rather negative experience there, and pretty much everybody chimes in says it's the worst place they've ever lived as well.

As always, your mileage may vary depending on what you're looking for, where exactly you live, if you have a lot of friends, how much money you make, etc. I've just never really run across a city as universally hated by most people who have ever step foot in it. In all my years, I've only met one person who grew up in Houston and liked it. And I'm not even sure if you could say she liked it, she just says, "it's not THAT bad."

But I do think that Atlanta and Houston do share a lot of similarities. Both have horrible air pollution in the summer, and both are cities that people typically relocate to just because they have a job there, not because they just thought it would be an awesome place to live.

So maybe Nairobi has a ton of friends in Houston, maybe he or she has a great paying job there, maybe there's some other circumstance that would pretty much make you like any place you are. Omaha or Kansas City would be great cities if you made tons of money and had tons of friends, but you don't exactly hear people touting them otherwise. Maybe they are great places, I don't know, but you don't hear too many people who can't wait to move there. I don't know a single person who has ever lived in Houston that is in any kind of a hurry to get back. If they miss Texas, they usually want to go to Austin or maybe Dallas, but usually Austin.

I don't know if any of this matters, but I lived in a place called Sugar Land, which I think is a far out suburb. I went to John Foster Dulles middle school and we lived in Sugar Creek Country Club. The neighborhood was awesome, but probably like a lot of sprawling country clubs, it didn't have that much of a feeling of community and Dulles was definitely leaps and bounds the bigget cess pool of a school I have ever attended. That was my personal experience, just for full disclosure of what shades my opinion of Houston. It could be that I would go there as an adult and love it, I have just never heard anything from anybody in discussions of Houston that would make me think so.
Ah, yes, the "everyone I know hates (insert city)" narrative. We've never heard that one before.

Y'all could atleast make more of an attempt to be original with your B.S.

Lol But this is not about me loving one city and disliking the other. This is not even about me attempting to sway the OP into one direction. I love Houston and I love Atlanta. Those two facts do not contradict one another. I would gladly recommend one over the other if it would clearly be a better fit for the person inquiring. So spare me the straw mans.

...This is about the fact that you stated something ridiculous, and I called you on it. Period. "Humid heat with no relief" is not an opinion, it is an anecdotal statement with no basis in fact. If anything, you deliberately described Houston's weather as nothing but that, yet decided to expand on Atlanta's weather to make it look far better. Personally, I also prefer Atlanta's climate, but I'm able to make that point with facts and not half-truths.

I don't care if I'm from Houston or Timbuktu. B.S. is B.S, and if I notice it, I'm going to say something about it. I could care less about who's feathers get ruffled by my objections.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,319,325 times
I lived in Atlanta and enjoyed my 6+ years there. If I had the opportunity now to have to choose between Atlanta and Houston, I would go with Houston for the more international vibe and milder winters.
All of that Texas Medical Center, etc crap Houston boasts doesn't impress me and Atlanta being near the mountains doesn't impress me either since I'm not one to drive out and enjoy that type of stuff.

I really don't see a huge difference between the two otherwise.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,917,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I guess there's no answer to my question.
To what question

Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,078,076 times
Houston is humid heat with no relief.

In Atlanta, the relief comes in the form of the North Georgia mountains, where you can escape the heat within an hour drive for most people.

What's within an hour of Houston where you can escape the heat?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I lived in Atlanta and enjoyed my 6+ years there. If I had the opportunity now to have to choose between Atlanta and Houston, I would go with Houston for the more international vibe and milder winters.
All of that Texas Medical Center, etc crap Houston boasts doesn't impress me and Atlanta being near the mountains doesn't impress me either since I'm not one to drive out and enjoy that type of stuff.

I really don't see a huge difference between the two otherwise.
You've told this story how many times

Old 09-08-2012, 10:47 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,247,074 times
Oh man, I want to ignore it. But I can't.

Hey ATLTJL, you're opinion is BS! The Houston Thought Police has spoken.

Oh and,
Quote:
"Humid heat with no relief" is not an opinion, it is an anecdotal statement with no basis in fact.
Nairobi, this is why I have to speak up. Seriously! You are going to tell potential residents this! So let let me get this straight... Houston summers have variable temperatures and it really isn't that humid there?! That's how you will trick folks into living in your city?

How about you focus on the positives of your city rather than provide a false narrative. At this rate, anyone that follows your advice will hate you with a passion come their first July.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,319,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You've told this story how many times
Then don't listen. Free country.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Then don't listen. Free country.
Its that your final answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta