Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times

Advertisements

New Dome deal would keep Falcons in Atlanta for 30 years | www.wsbtv.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brief fair-use quote from the article
A deal with the Georgia World Congress Center for a new stadium would contractually obligate the Atlanta Falcons to stay in Atlanta for 30 years.
Sounds like this anti-transit, increased-traffic, public money-to-private interest stadium is going to happen
If only I had the money, I'd file a lawsuit for an injunction against this. Unless they tore down the existing dome, and THEN built the new stadium right there, this will only decrease transit accessibility, and increase traffic, for downtown Atlanta, and probably the interstates down there too.
I'm just glad I'm planning to leave this metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
ATLANTA —
A deal with the Georgia World Congress Center for a new stadium would contractually obligate the Atlanta Falcons to stay in Atlanta for 30 years.
Sounds like a PR move to spin this waste of tax payer money in a positive light. Says Joe Readswhthehrd - "Oh yeah, I didn't like that stadium deal, but at least it kept the Falcons in town for 30 years."

Suck it beotches. I hope the people of Atlanta or at least on this board aren't stupid enough to fall for this crap.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Sounds like this anti-transit, increased-traffic, public money-to-private interest stadium is going to happen
If they build the proposed stadium on the south site, which would be in the Gulch redevelopment area it would be very accessible by transit. The north site would be 1 mile from the closest station.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
The north site would be an absolute disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost the SEC Championship Game if the stadium moved to that site. To me, the SEC Championship Game is a way bigger boon than any Falcons game: it completely fills our hotel rooms and brings in tens of thousands of people from out of town. The SEC is also pretty candid about being A-OK staying in the Dome, and certainly would only want higher seating capacity where ever the game goes, which is pretty questionable right now.

But yeah, it sounds like for whatever reason this is going to happen. The public needs to demand more information about the process; the snippets of news we are getting are nowhere near enough.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:24 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If they build the proposed stadium on the south site, which would be in the Gulch redevelopment area it would be very accessible by transit. The north site would be 1 mile from the closest station.
Again, a 2 second googlemap check shows that the distance from the Vine City Station to the site just north of the GWCC is only 0.5 miles.

Why do you insist on making things up?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:11 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Again, a 2 second googlemap check shows that the distance from the Vine City Station to the site just north of the GWCC is only 0.5 miles.

Why do you insist on making things up?

The North Site would be located on Northside & Ivan Allen Boulevard and the closest station would be Civic Center. Which is not a fun walk given the steep hill on Ivan Allen.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Walks along public streets tend to turn people off on using transit. I admit, I may have jumped the gun a bit, especially if they choose the south site, but I'd be willing to bet that they won't pick it, I have nothing to support this other than a gut feeling of course.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
The North Site would be located on Northside & Ivan Allen Boulevard and the closest station would be Civic Center. Which is not a fun walk given the steep hill on Ivan Allen.
Negative. Look at the map. Vine City Station is exactly 0.5 miles from that cross street.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
How many suburbanites are gonna walk 1/2 mile to the station. They already complain about catching a bus from five points to the Ted.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many suburbanites are gonna walk 1/2 mile to the station. They already complain about catching a bus from five points to the Ted.
So, you being wrong, decide to instead change the subject to something else you've been wrong on.

Remember that other thread where you used to bash people for not walking the 1/2 mile from the GSU MARTA station to Turner Field? You remember how I did a quick check and proved it was actually 1.1-1.2 miles and not the 1/2 mile you claimed.

You have an awful habit of making up figures that fit your agenda. Then, when proven wrong, you throw out a red herring anti-suburbs discussion. Pretty awful dude. If the facts don't support your point, perhaps you are wrong. Keep an open mind and think some son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta