Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 AM

276 posts, read 432,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Move faster to pick them up before that happens. No brainier.
It really doesn't see fair/right that crittic, who only cares about the upkeep of his community, should have to go to every empty house and throw out flyers that the HOA has asked the AJC to stop sending. The AJC should stop littering.

It's strange, but my neighborhood in Vinings no longer gets these. We used to, but it has been ages since I last saw one. I live in a townhome community of 180 homes so it would be quick for AJC to spam us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,399,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Move faster to pick them up before that happens. No brainier.
But you said you do this on trash day. By the time our trash day rolls around, they look like....

So putting aside the fact that it would take over a couple of hours each week to clean up everyone else's mess and also that it dangerous because nearly all of the papers are in the street, what do you propose that I do to resolve the issue of trash day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
It really doesn't see fair/right that crittic, who only cares about the upkeep of his community, should have to go to every empty house and throw out flyers that the HOA has asked the AJC to stop sending. The AJC should stop littering.
)))

If it was just the EMPTY houses, I wouldn't be as bothered by it. But nearly every house, even the occupied ones leave the papers laying in the street. I reiterate... they are nearly ALL in the street not in the driveways or lawns.

(((
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
It's strange, but my neighborhood in Vinings no longer gets these. We used to, but it has been ages since I last saw one. I live in a townhome community of 180 homes so it would be quick for AJC to spam us...
It could be because some concerned citizen called up the AJC and got them to stop (probably temporarily) or it could be they just don't need to do your neighborhood. I guess the way it works is the AJC is obligated by contracts with their advertisers to hit a certain number of households and if they don't have enough subscribers then they have to make up the difference with spam papers and delivering to people who don't subscribe and don't want them.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,165,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Hey, it sounds like you're a problem solver!

How would you suggest I clean this?
A sandblaster would work.

More seriously, I guess I'd consider using a wet vac with a brush. If the little Green Machine I used to clean up after the kitties had a long enough cord, it would handle that quite well.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A sandblaster would work.

More seriously, I guess I'd consider using a wet vac with a brush. If the little Green Machine I used to clean up after the kitties had a long enough cord, it would handle that quite well.
I guess I had better get to work on that then and have plenty of extension cords because I have a hundred or so homes to do.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I guess I had better get to work on that then and have plenty of extension cords because I have a hundred or so homes to do.
My HOA would simply request (and then emphatically request of required, possibly followed by more forceful action) that the homeowners clean up their own property as they agreed to do when signing the covenant documents.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My HOA would simply request (and then emphatically request of required, possibly followed by more forceful action) that the homeowners clean up their own property as they agreed to do when signing the covenant documents.
Well we do that and some people still don't care.
Some are "untouchable" ... you know the ones, they're living here and not paying their dues, not maintaining their property and breaking every rule in the book but.... they've filed for bankruptcy! so nothing can be done.

It's just an ongoing battle to get people to clean up their mess. So many people just don't care, especially the rentals, they are by far the worst. Not just because of the renters not caring, but because the owner doesn't care either. He ain't gotta live there!

But in fairness to everyone, including the dead beats, the AJC is the one making this mess. They are creating a mess for everyone else to have to clean up and when that mess turns to a pile of vomit in the middle of the street, I really don't blame any of the adjacent homes for not cleaning it up.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
But in fairness to everyone, including the dead beats, the AJC is the one making this mess. They are creating a mess for everyone else to have to clean up and when that mess turns to a pile of vomit in the middle of the street, I really don't blame any of the adjacent homes for not cleaning it up.
Has anyone considered legal action? I would be interested in joining a legal effort to get them to stop.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Has anyone considered legal action? I would be interested in joining a legal effort to get them to stop.
See reply #6.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 AM

69 posts, read 190,047 times
I guess that's why Cobb county PD's Quality of Life unit does such an outstanding job. They respond to such calls as this and are quick to write citations to such violators. I am sure they would LOVE to get some of COX communications' money in the Cobb general fund.

You should check with your county to see if they have a similar agency. If not, there's a great idea for you to bring up at your next county commissioners' meeting for increasing general fund revenue through code enforcement.

We have the same problem here with this spam paper showing up on Thursdays "Evening Edge" it's called. I usually just throw mine directly in the trash. This is another sign of a has been media (print) dying a slow death, their circulation numbers are so poor, they have to resort to giving out these so-called "extras" to keep their advertisers happy by showing them inflated circulation numbers.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 AM

419 posts, read 976,852 times
Sounds like the HOA Gestapo isn't doing its job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta