Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM

11 posts, read 11,151 times

Advertisements

My husband's job will be in downtown Decatur, and I keep reading about horrible traffic. We are not going to live in Decatur, as we are looking for newer apartments, and like several in the surrounding areas. My question is which area will give him the best/shortest commute. We are not worried about price, or lifestyle, just commute.

Can someone weigh in on the commute? At first we were looking at just miles, but I keep reading how traffic around Emory is really bad, so we thought maybe going west towards Midtown would be better than north. What do you think?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 PM

730 posts, read 828,110 times
just rent something near a marta station and have him take marta to decatur. problem solved.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 AM

32 posts, read 61,876 times
Traffic in Decatur is all about timing, if he's going to work at 7am, there won't be a soul in sight, at 9am, everyone and their dogs, bikes, kids, will be running about. Midtown would be pretty easy, VA Highlands, basically any community North of I-20, East of the connector/85 and ITP (Inside the Perimeter I-285) would work fairly well and keep the commute short. Alternative as mentioned is to take MARTA...

Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Check out the intown neighborhoods along the east MARTA line, eg: Inman Park, Candler Park, Kirkwood. Several new apartments in Inman Park along the BeltLine.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Honestly if you are doing the reverse commute from an area to the south or west of Decatur, it shouldn't be too bad. The major commuting corridors for Decatur are Ponce De Leon, Dekalb Avenue, College Ave, and Clairemont Ave. The see high volume, but typically it's much higher going towards downtown Atlanta or the Emory area, and back again in the evenings. Virginia Highlands, Candler Park, Inman Park, Glenwood Park, Old 4th Ward, and Midtown to downtown Decatur doing a reverse commute would probably be 20 minutes or under.

If possible, try to avoid needing to cross the east/west railroad (also the MARTA corridor line) to get into Decatur. There are a limited number of crossings and they can create choke points. As mentioned above, the Beltline trail is a great amenity, and links up with the existing bike path system that could allow bike commuting into Decatur (if that is your thing).

Last edited by red92s; 10-02-2012 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Going north on Clairmont, you'll start encountering newer complexes just north of N. Decatur Rd. Check out the Toco Hills, Briarvista, Sage Hill and Sheridan Rd. areas. These areas are all pretty convenient to downtown Decatur.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM

74 posts, read 185,698 times
If the commute is your biggest concern you should really try to rent in or near downtown Decatur. There are a couple of newer apartment complexes, plus there are a lot of newer condos that might be for rent.

Otherwise, I would think commuting down Ponce De Leon from closer in to town (Candler Park/Va. Highlands/Midtown) would be the best choice. Travelling Clairmont from the Emory/Toco Hills area is going to be really backed up during the normal rush hour.

The idea of renting near MARTA is also a good one.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,831,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argecash View Post
If the commute is your biggest concern you should really try to rent in or near downtown Decatur. There are a couple of newer apartment complexes.
Can you name one that is walking distance to downtown decatur? I can't.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Can you name one that is walking distance to downtown decatur? I can't.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=apart...ments&t=m&z=16How far is walking distance?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
There aren't many (any?) new rental buildings within walking distance of downtown Decatur.
Most of the rental buildings are old. There are some condo buildings with units that people rent out. The Artisan is the nicest one, but it's expensive and sort of like living in a hotel. There are others, like the Talley lofts that are sort of like young adult dormitories and are pretty dumpy and loud. For rentals in a safe part of Decatur you are better off looking up towards Emory.

When you say "There are a couple of newer apartment complexes" what complexes are they? I'm actually interested in learning about newer complexes in the area because I didn't find anything suitable (or even available) when I moved here in May.

FWIW, The better (newer, safer) rental complexes are mostly in Buckhead or Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta