Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
What? 4"-6" of snow? I plan to come to ATL this X'Mas for vacay. Better not snow too much.
Actually, that is quite a rarity. This past winter, we hardly got any snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 03:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
To those wishing for snow: I am going to put on my Walls coveralls, face mask, and Hitek boots. Calmly hunt you down and blast you all with snow balls! Yellow snowballs! You want snow? Go to Snow Mountain! Purchase your ticket in advance.

Tongue in cheek people. I wouldn't blast you with a yellow snowball.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:14 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
To those wishing for snow: I am going to put on my Walls coveralls, face mask, and Hitek boots. Calmly hunt you down and blast you all with snow balls! Yellow snowballs! You want snow? Go to Snow Mountain! Purchase your ticket in advance.

Tongue in cheek people. I wouldn't blast you with a yellow snowball.
That's just nasty.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM

88 posts, read 128,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
What? 4"-6" of snow? I plan to come to ATL this X'Mas for vacay. Better not snow too much.
You'll likely be safe on Christmas as there's never been that much snow fall in Atlanta then, hell there's only been one White Christmas in the city in recorded history and that was in 2010.

Last time there was over 4 inches was in January 2011 and for several days after moving around the area was extremely difficult.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:56 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Many winter predictions by many well-know mets. have the southeast region(particularly, the Atlanta area) as having below average temperatures and above average precipitation. Storm tracks have many lows sliding across the northern Gulf coast which are favorable for storm systems to bring enough cold air aloft to bring the 0 c temperature gradient to the Atlanta area and thus turning any rain to snow.

What would really depend on if we get snow is blocking in the arctic, particularly Greenland and riding out in the west to funnel artic cold air down south.
You mean like what happened in early 2010? I hope so. That weather pattern actually brought snow to parts of southern GA too. The town where I live in had it's first real snow (2" or more) in over 20 years.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:01 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I would definitely like a cold winter, last year was awful.
Yeah, the tomatoes I had continued to grow through new years. It felt like I was living in Orlando.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooktheoriginal View Post
You'll likely be safe on Christmas as there's never been that much snow fall in Atlanta then, hell there's only been one White Christmas in the city in recorded history and that was in 2010.

Last time there was over 4 inches was in January 2011 and for several days after moving around the area was extremely difficult.
I remember that winter. Atlanta basically shut down as a result. In Kennesaw, there were stretches of road with no cars.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:13 PM

83 posts, read 113,372 times
The way the weather pattern is playing out...there should be one heck of a cold shot coming around the 10th and getting progressively colder through Xmas. This winter there will also be a jet stream pushed further south which generally is a favorable for snow in the south. Remember, all good snows in ATL come from the south when the cold is already established...and the pattern looks good for that this winter

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpatl4now View Post
The way the weather pattern is playing out...there should be one heck of a cold shot coming around the 10th and getting progressively colder through Xmas. This winter there will also be a jet stream pushed further south which generally is a favorable for snow in the south. Remember, all good snows in ATL come from the south when the cold is already established...and the pattern looks good for that this winter
This is true: Snow happens in Georgia when cold air masses from the north override moisture rising up from the Gulf. The reason we have snow so infrequently is, one or the other fronts is usually strong enough to push the other out before they override.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Basically, we need a gulf low pressure system to ride the coast for us to have the classic snowstorm setup, although there have been unique setups where we've gotten snow like the closed low in March of 2009.

Here's to hoping for snow this winter here in Atlanta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta