Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Anyway, as for the venue itself, it's a dump and build on an old school philosphy. The best bet for the city is to either redevelop it as a movie/tv production studio (which it has done well as in the last few years) or bulldoze it and redo the whole area.
I think it would be smarter to focus on Lakewood Fairgrounds for movie/tv stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think it would be smarter to focus on Lakewood Fairgrounds for movie/tv stuff.
Well, that's already the case isn't it?

Anyway, what I was envisioning was that if the former Scitrek space was converted to sound stages, those huge blank walls facing Piedmont could hold giant billboards promoting whatever project or TV show was produced there -- like they have all over the place out in LA. (I think Turner Studios has a couple of these on the 10th Street side facing Alexander Coliseum?)

SONY STUDIOS LA:

CHELSEA STUDIOS NYC:

Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I actually like this idea too.

Lakewood should be the focus.

But--whatever the case, a Civic Center re-do should contain Buttermilk Bottom in its name.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Well, that's already the case isn't it?

Anyway, what I was envisioning was that if the former Scitrek space was converted to sound stages, those huge blank walls facing Piedmont could hold giant billboards promoting whatever project or TV show was produced there -- like they have all over the place out in LA. (I think Turner Studios has a couple of these on the 10th Street side facing Alexander Coliseum?)

SONY STUDIOS LA:

CHELSEA STUDIOS NYC:

Like!

BUTTERMILK BOTTOM STUDIOS ATL

Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Buttermilk Bottom is certainly no worse than Foggy Bottom in DC, which has a similar history and was not named for flattering reasons.

"Foggy Bottom was once a community of white and black laborers employed at the nearby breweries, glass plants, and city gas works. These industrial facilities are also cited as a possible reason for the neighborhood's name, the "fog" being the smoke given off by the industries ... "

Old 12-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Buttermilk Bottom is certainly no worse than Foggy Bottom in DC, which has a similar history and was not named for flattering reasons.

"Foggy Bottom was once a community of white and black laborers employed at the nearby breweries, glass plants, and city gas works. These industrial facilities are also cited as a possible reason for the neighborhood's name, the "fog" being the smoke given off by the industries ... "
Exactly.

Which is why I included a link to Foggy Bottom in one of my posts on the first page of this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27268396-post7.html

Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Exactly.

Which is why I included a link to Foggy Bottom in one of my posts on the first page of this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27268396-post7.html
Sorry ... missed it.

BTW ... Why is everybody saying Lakewood should be the focus of the studio business?! That's ONE studio company. There are plenty more to go around, and plenty more high-profile locations where they could be ... and be seen!

What's neat to me about the entertainment industry presence in LA is the fact that it's EVERYWHERE ... throughout the city, and very prominent. I think it's exciting to drive over the hills into Burbank and see a bunch of studios all clustered together ... down Melrose past Paramount ... out in Culver City where residential neighborhoods back up to the Sony Pictures wall ... why can't the industry grow to have that kind of profile in ATL? Right now it remains rather hidden ...

Old 12-09-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry ... missed it.

BTW ... Why is everybody saying Lakewood should be the focus of the studio business?! That's ONE studio company. There are plenty more to go around, and plenty more high-profile locations where they could be ... and be seen!

What's neat to me about the entertainment industry presence in LA is the fact that it's EVERYWHERE ... throughout the city, and very prominent. I think it's exciting to drive over the hills into Burbank and see a bunch of studios all clustered together ... down Melrose past Paramount ... out in Culver City where residential neighborhoods back up to the Sony Pictures wall ... why can't the industry grow to have that kind of profile in ATL? Right now it remains rather hidden ...

What you describe would be good for Atlanta--I like.

In my opinion, Lakewood would develop like a Hollywood (or former Hollywood). I am imagining a film/TV/studio village...a very large village...not just one studio. Many lots, many studios, many stages, etc. would dot the immediate area. The Lakewood Heights neighborhood could develop with many boutiques, bars, and restaurants to coincide with "Lakewood." Though film/TV should grow to a very large presence throughout Atlanta, Lakewood would be known as THE pre-eminent place for film/TV in the American South.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What you describe would be good for Atlanta--I like.

In my opinion, Lakewood would develop like a Hollywood (or former Hollywood). I am imagining a film/TV/studio village...a very large village...not just one studio. Many lots, many studios, many stages, etc. would dot the immediate area. The Lakewood Heights neighborhood could develop with many boutiques, bars, and restaurants to coincide with "Lakewood." Though film/TV should grow to a very large presence throughout Atlanta, Lakewood would be known as THE pre-eminent place for film/TV in the American South.
I see what you're saying BUT ... is there really enough room down at Lakewood to do what you describe? And is having that mass of facilities all in one location a good idea? What happens if (and when) the industry tires of Atlanta, the tax incentives go away and business just falls way off? Do you want a bunch of huge empty buildings down there designed and built for a specific industry going to waste? We have WAY to many of those already!

The availability of large buildings made empty by the recession (or for other reasons) that can easily be converted into sound stages is one of the things attracting the industry to Atlanta right now. Screen Gems has built some buildings from the ground up yes, but the old fairgrounds exhibit halls are what brought them to the site. Atlanta would be much better off if more empty buildings were repurposed by the film industry.

That's PRECISELY what makes the Civic Center such an ideal candidate. The big boxy building, amount of secure GATED parking, the truck lot and easy access to the interstates and MARTA all make it an IDEAL television production center. If you've ever seen CBS Television City in LA, you'll know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. A backlot isn't necessary because its an all indoor production facility for game shows like Price is Right, soap operas, sitcoms, etc.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
I see what you're saying BUT ... is there really enough room down at Lakewood to do what you describe? And is having that mass of facilities all in one location a good idea? What happens if (and when) the industry tires of Atlanta, the tax incentives go away and business just falls way off? Do you want a bunch of huge empty buildings down there designed and built for a specific industry going to waste? We have WAY to many of those already!

The availability of large buildings made empty by the recession (or for other reasons) that can easily be converted into sound stages is one of the things attracting the industry to Atlanta right now. Screen Gems has built some buildings from the ground up yes, but the old fairgrounds exhibit halls are what brought them to the site. Atlanta would be much better off if more empty buildings were repurposed by the film industry.

That's PRECISELY what makes the Civic Center such an ideal candidate. The big boxy building, amount of secure GATED parking, the truck lot and easy access to the interstates and MARTA all make it an IDEAL television production center. If you've ever seen CBS Television City in LA, you'll know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. A backlot isn't necessary because its an all indoor production facility for game shows like Price is Right, soap operas, sitcoms, etc.

I see what you are saying...good points. Agreed. Yes. Party Rock.

But I think you misunderstood me (or I didn't explain well)...in terms of a "village"...

I am talking about the entire Lakewood "area," not just the fairgrounds.

The neighborhoods of:

Lakewood
Lakewood Heights
Norwood Manor
Swallow Circle/Baywood
Browns Mill Park
Polar Rock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta