Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
All these neighborhoods are accessible by buses and most have a rail station. They all have local retail, grocery, & restaurants.
Buses go into the suburbs...and? Every area in the suburb has a plaza with all those things you mentioned....and?

Little tiny urban enclaves do not make for an urban city.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Buses go into the suburbs...and? Every area in the suburb has a plaza with all those things you mentioned....and?

They make for urban neighborhoods. I can live completely car-free in my neighborhood. Kroger, Target, Lowes is all 1 mile walk. MARTA station is <1 mile and a bus stop on the corner. Several great restaurants and a couple bars are 1/4 mile walk.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Well I am not just talking about the city proper but the metro in general. Prices should not be going up for rent anywhere if this place sucked so bad and everyone wanted to live in NYC.
I think with the high foreclosure rate and depressed home buying market, apartments are filling up so it's not a renters market.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Also, young professionals are delaying home buying for the ability of being mobile, just in case a job opportunity arises in other city.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Also, young professionals are delaying home buying for the ability of being mobile, just in case a job opportunity arises in other city.
That's a good point. As it becomes harder and harder to put down roots because we change jobs frequently, we might see an increase in renters, even for homes. For some people that can put down roots, it will be because they can make a living buying up homes and renting them out.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That's a good point. As it becomes harder and harder to put down roots because we change jobs frequently, we might see an increase in renters, even for homes. For some people that can put down roots, it will be because they can make a living buying up homes and renting them out.

Yes.

And read this:

Condos Are A No-Go At Ponce City Market - Department of Fresh Renderings - Curbed Atlanta

From one of the commenters (Urbanistor)--

RE:
"Careful consideration of the market indicates that consumers are likely to continue facing difficulty obtaining financing to purchase condo units, nationwide, for the foreseeable future,"

True. We bought an intown condo last year and the whole process turned out to be much more stressful and expensive than we anticipated. If I had it all to do over again, I would prefer to remain a renter. Hopefully things will change in the next couple of years.

On top of that (and this may be wishful thinking), I think the philosophy of the younger populations is changing. Just because owning a home is cheaper doesn't make it more attractive. Eating Taco Bell is cheaper than eating at Whole Foods, but plenty of people avoid Taco Bell. Flexibility, the lack of liability, the mobility, etc. that renting provides more than makes up for that rent vs own premium.

For what I pay in rent, I could own a pretty nice in-town home. However, that means that if my roof leaks, I have to fix it. I lose access to reliable (read: rail) public transportation. I lose the opportunity to interact with dozens of new people on a daily basis. I have no down payment at risk. Those are all things that are make the rent vs. own premium more than worth it.

@ Guest:
"Many people move here for work with no real idea if they are going to stay or not, so I think the rentals are justified."

This mentality is a large part of the problem in this city. Rentals aren't just for people who are hanging around for a couple years before they move on to buy a home. Rentals, and our city, need to start being viewed as a place where people will come and stay. That means developing an appropriate product for various income segments. That means developing buildings that will provide a solid infrastructure for the city as a whole, for an extended period of time, not throwing up a parking deck next to every building.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to historic, intown neighborhoods? Decatur, Inman Park, Candler Park, Kirkwood, East Atlanta?
Have you ever been to a "real" city(sorry, you left that one hanging). Honestly, those places really aren't all that impressive considering how "big" Atlanta is. It should have much more vibrant and interesting neighborhoods than the ones you listed. Decatur is about the only one that I'd consider vibrant and diverse nowadays. The rest are snoozefests, even EAV which looked pathetic last time I rode through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Atlanta haters like yourself hate all aspects of the metro. What does it matter if other cities are increasing in rental prices? No one said this was the only city. The point is the prices would not be rising if people thought this places was just sh*t hole like so many posters like yourself imply.
Because it really makes rising rent prices in Atlanta irrelevant, genius. Now if rent prices in Atlanta were rising relative to other cities, then your thread might actually make some sense.

Quote:

Yes, little enclaves can be cool but when that's pretty much all a city has...

Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Bingo.

Quote:
They make for urban neighborhoods... Kroger, Target, Lowes is all 1 mile walk. MARTA station is <1 mile and a bus stop on the corner. Several great restaurants and a couple bars are 1/4 mile walk.
Same can be said for Dunwoody, and not even the part that is Perimeter Center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Decatur is about the only one that I'd consider vibrant and diverse nowadays.
Decatur may be "vibrant", but my experience has been that Decatur isn't every diverse. Every time I go to the Decatur Square area for a night out, it is nothing but white upper middle class. And so clean it's like hipster Disney World.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
I do think many things in Atlanta metro do not have depth.

One of the recent threads talked about highrises - they are only along Peachtree. However, driving on the interstate you have the impression that there is a line of highrises from Downtown thru Buckhead.

Great suburbs for kids and transplants, but they are only increasingly the ones in a limited northern arc. And they don't work if your work takes you to downtown, or some times even Perimeter.

We have 5.5 million people, but only when you count far-away counties that you would never set foot in.

Busiest airport, but only because the next equivalent airport 600 miles away. And because of all the people who transit through.

Northern Gwinnett has three major malls, but only the one on Buford seems to be thriving.

Falcons enter playoffs, but when the regular season is an easy.

Atlanta is supposed to a great place for tourists. Just don't stay in the area where the attractions are.
---

Metro Atlanta is a nice place, and probably a better deal than what most people generally get. But there is a little bit of PR that one has to understand. Still if someone is from anywhere in this country, and don't like their situation, they may be able to find their niche location that they like in metro Atlanta.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM

492 posts, read 791,050 times
Quote:

Because it really makes rising rent prices in Atlanta irrelevant, genius. Now if rent prices in Atlanta were rising relative to other cities, then your thread might actually make some
Rents aren't raising in every city in the country ****lock. Only in ones that are valuable while other drop or remain stagnant.

Quote:
Have you ever been to a "real" city(sorry, you left that one hanging). Honestly, those places really aren't all that impressive considering how "big" Atlanta is. It should have much more vibrant and interesting neighborhoods than the ones you listed. Decatur is about the only one that I'd consider vibrant and diverse nowadays. The rest are snoozefests, even EAV which looked pathetic last time I rode through.
Name better neighborhoods that Houston, Dallas, Miami, and Charolett have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta