Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times

Advertisements

Sorry I was typing on my phone. I lived in DC before I moved back to Atlanta. Im from Georgia. I moved to DC because I wasn't ready career wise for Atlanta and DC was the perfect city for me career wise. Once I finished with what I needed to do I moved back. I enjoyed DC. I love traveling to Philly and NYC, I love the great museums DC has, I love being able to walk around the DC at night, etc. DC had more things that I disliked such as the COL, traffic, COL, I didn't like the party scene because people didn't know how to have fun, etc. All in all I enjoyed my time in DC and I gained a lot buy moving to DC but I would rather be back here. Atlanta is far from perfect but I enjoy it here more. City wise DC is already there and Atlanta is still growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 15,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
In DC the AA promoters cater to the 21-27 year olds and everyone older has to generally go to those events. This being said everybody knows where to go because generally most DC promoters cater to the same group. In Atlanta our promoters cater to different age groups. We have the professional 21-25 crowd, 22-29 crowd, 30-38 crowd, 35+ crowd, house music crowd, industry crowd,etc. In Atlanta if you ask somebody where to party at they will only be able to tell you where their demographic hang out. They will not be able to tell you everywhere else to go. You being over 30 from the Midwest you will love our events such as House in the Park, Old School Saturday, house music events by DJ Kemit, ananse salah, etc, Sol Fusion, Sunset Lounge, etc,etc.
Now, that I think about it I guess there are limited spots in DC for the 30+ crowd. I do limit my visits to the PARK at 14th at some other similar spots! LOL! I'm going to have to make a trip out there soon, to get a feel for the place before I make a decison.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyizdlimit View Post
Now, that I think about it I guess there are limited spots in DC for the 30+ crowd. I do limit my visits to the PARK at 14th at some other similar spots! LOL! I'm going to have to make a trip out there soon, to get a feel for the place before I make a decison.
The funny thing about Atlanta is if you ask the average person where to go they will only give you a limited amount of places to go because everybody do not go to the same places. In DC everybody knows where to go because everybody go to the same spots but it's not like that here

Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Nightlife is more Midtown, Buckhead, Virginina-Highlands, Little 5 Points, Decatur, East Atlanta, and Sweet Auburn. Each area has a different scene and crowd.
Midtown= clubs, upscale restaurants
Buckhead= frat boy scene
Little 5 Points= local music, eclectic mix
Decatur= family friendly bars and restaurants
East Atlanta= music and hipsters
Sweet Auburn= smaller bars

Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM

449 posts, read 1,176,210 times
Quote:
ATL _II_DMV, why are you moving back to Atlanta if you don't mind sharing?
Definitely the cost of living. I'm in my late 20's now and have a plan to cake up on $ down there.

I rent out two rooms in my townhouse up here. In Fairburn, Ga, I have a SFH down there that I'll be living in by myself and my mortgage is half of what I pay up here.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 15,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Definitely the cost of living. I'm in my late 20's now and have a plan to cake up on $ down there.

I rent out two rooms in my townhouse up here. In Fairburn, Ga, I have a SFH down there that I'll be living in by myself and my mortgage is half of what I pay up here.
I completely understand. I have a condo in MD that I bought at the height of the market, but have been renting it out for the past three years. I have been living in a rented TH in DC, but am ready to buy again. DC is out of the question...too high, but I have been looking at new builds in MD.

I have been looking on realtor.com in the ATL and there definitley some deals, I'm just unsure if I would like the area. I will probably visit in April.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM

22 posts, read 24,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
In DC the AA promoters cater to the Go Go crowd or 21-27 year olds and everyone older has to generally go to those events. This being said everybody knows where to go because generally most DC promoters cater to the same group. In Atlanta our promoters cater to different age groups. We have the professional 21-25 crowd, 22-29 crowd, 30-38 crowd, 35+ crowd, house music crowd, industry crowd,etc. In Atlanta if you ask somebody where to party at they will only be able to tell you where their demographic hang out. They will not be able to tell you everywhere else to go. You being over 30 from the Midwest you will love our events such as House in the Park, Old School Saturday, house music events by DJ Kemit, ananse salah, etc, Sol Fusion, Sunset Lounge, etc,etc.
Those House events like "House in Park" aren't still around are they? I thought "House in the Park" ended in 2009.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachmancan View Post
Those House events like "House in Park" aren't still around are they? I thought "House in the Park" ended in 2009.

Last year over 15k people came out. See for yourself

"House In The Park Atlanta 2012" " You Will Not Melt " Stop IT Charles 011.MOV - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 AM

38 posts, read 43,944 times
Quote:
Hello All,

I am new to posting although I've been on this forum plenty of times, so forgive me if the structure is off.

I've seen the many threads about those contemplating moves to Atlanta. So I will try to keep with the format.

Here is some background information:
I'm a single, 30+ AA female who has been living in the DC area for about 8 yrs now. Before that I lived in the city of Detroit (was born, raised and went to college in the metro Detroit area). I have a graduate degree in HR and currently work in the field. I have an opportunity to move to the Atlanta area for work.

The issue is that I would like to own and live in a SFH or luxury TH(I've done the condo thing), but it looks like I would get more for my money in Atlanta vs. DC. I like the DC area and all, but the cost of living is definitley a plus for Atlanta.

With that being said, is there anyone out there who has moved from DC to Atlanta and are happy with their decision as far as COL? What would be some of the drawbacks to Atlanta as opposed to DC outside of (being close to other major cities, Metro train system, close to water)?

Thanks for your input!

Hi There,

I moved from DC to back to ATL (I'm at ATL Native) and I regret it so much. I wouldn't do it. My husband spent the last 11 years in DC and had a great career there, was never without work, and I had a good job also...we moved to be closer to family....it has been since Aug. and he still hasn't found work and I took a pretty severe paycut and lost benefits...I'm working for a small business now and am trying to get with a big company once again but I had to take this one to eat and you know how it is looking for a job when you already have one...it's a vicious circle...anyhow, if I were you I wouldn't do it, if you lose your job it's going to be very difficult to get a new one. DC is pretty much guaranteed employment if you have a degree and experience...here not so much. Not to mention culturally, the food here is all chains (if you enjoy DC Peruvian chicken or Kabob forget it) and there really isn't anything to do - there aren't any nice areas like Georgetown or the (DC) Mall....here there are shopping centers and some parks and that's about all there is to do if you want to get out of the house. Downtown doesn't have the busybody feel that DC does...everyone drives...no one walks around the city just to enjoy the day. It's just totally different...so I grew up here and can honestly say I regret coming back and wouldn't advise anyone else to do it unless you have a support system if you lose your job (someone to stay with so you don't have to choose between rent or a car repo).

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM

492 posts, read 791,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellada328 View Post
if you enjoy DC Peruvian chicken or Kabob forget it
You sure love bringing this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta