Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:16 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I wish Emirates would fly to Atlanta...

I was in Singapore with an Emirates ticket to Atlanta about 40 hours before NYC and Boston had that recent snow storm.

I knew I was flying into a jam, but it was too early to get new tickets w/o a costly change fee. I ended up stuck in Dubai on a long delay and they didn't have any other options to their network to re-route me from Dubai. I was truly stuck waiting on conditions at JFK to clear up.

Skyteam only seems to be partnered with smaller airlines in the Middle East putting most long hauls in the hands of Delta and the European airlines.

I think our middle eastern O&D is just too low.
For Middle Eastern service, I heard Delta was bringing back Atlanta to Tel Aviv, Israel nonstop, but I doubt it since no announcement for summer service has been made. The Israel flight is super crowded in the connection at JFK. Flying into Israel was the most unique thing. One hour before landing, no one can get out of their seat per Israel air regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 07:21 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
For Middle Eastern service, I heard Delta was bringing back Atlanta to Tel Aviv, Israel nonstop, but I doubt it since no announcement for summer service has been made. The Israel flight is super crowded in the connection at JFK. Flying into Israel was the most unique thing. One hour before landing, no one can get out of their seat per Israel air regulations.
Thats interesting.

When I flew from Manila to SFO two years ago on Philippine Airlines and I just came back from Hong Kong on a direct flight to SFO last week on Cathay Pacific both times they have the boarding gate area roped off from passengers until one hour before flight time because the US mandates all foreign traffic inbound to the US to go through additional screening at the gate. They go through every bag looking for bottled water, etc. . Strange how other international destinations don't require these additional steps. Yes the terrorists have won since the US is scared to the point short of having us passengers strip down to our undies to board a flight.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
I think LAX at the In and Out burger joint is a spotters dream also.
I wouldn't call it a spotters dream, because only so many large planes fly there.... but at some point in your life you have to go to Maho Beach in Saint Marteen. It is something else. You can also watch alot of stupid people.

The runway begins right at the beach, which is open to the public.

After watching some smaller planes take off and land a KLM 747 came in and took off a few hours later.

I thought I was far enough away..... but that was the largest sand storm ever. So many people just hit the ground or ran into the water.

File:Corsair Airbus A330 at SXM Bidini.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but that cafe you see on the side of the beach is a great place to grab a drink and watch the planes come in.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM

730 posts, read 828,110 times
although new aircrafts have made flying even safer, I do miss those jumbos from the 80's and 90's. The L-1011, MD-11 (which KLM still operates), dc-10, 727, and many more were awesome jets. The one plane I wish delta could have operated was the concorde
Concorde Final Take off BA (Awesome Angle) - YouTube Of course no body wanted that thing flying anywhere near their city due to noise. It only operated between JFK and Heathrow I believe.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I wouldn't call it a spotters dream, because only so many large planes fly there.... but at some point in your life you have to go to Maho Beach in Saint Marteen. It is something else. You can also watch alot of stupid people.

The runway begins right at the beach, which is open to the public.

After watching some smaller planes take off and land a KLM 747 came in and took off a few hours later.

I thought I was far enough away..... but that was the largest sand storm ever. So many people just hit the ground or ran into the water.

File:Corsair Airbus A330 at SXM Bidini.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but that cafe you see on the side of the beach is a great place to grab a drink and watch the planes come in.
I must be missing something because I saw nothing but heavies and different airlines coming into Lax.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,985,209 times
Quote:
I must be missing something because I saw nothing but heavies and different airlines coming into Lax.

Your not missing anything. Your correct, LAX is a spotters dream. They have close to 40 foreign carriers flying in there with three carriers operating the A380 on LAX service (QF, KE, and SQ) not to mention many trans pacific and trans atlantic 744s, A340s, 777, etc. I don't know what that poster was talking about.

SFO can also be a good airport to spot. We have 25 foreign carriers with most operating heavies. Though not as much as LAX. Believe it or not, SFO has more passenger capacity to Hong Kong than LAX.

My SFO airline wishlist:
Qantas (DFW stole them from us)
Qatar or Etihad
Turkish
Thai
Malaysia
Vietnam
China Southern

I would like to name more, but I'm talking realistic chances and I have a hunch we could see some of these carriers by the end of the decade.

Once again congrats Hartsfield-Jackson fans on getting the Korean Whale Jet. I'm jealous because we have yet to get year 'round A380 service. Just seasonal teases from LH, AF, and SQ. Surprises me with such a good O&D market like the Bay Area. I think we could see Emirates operate annual service with one when they get more online. Here's hopin'.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. Read the whole statement. I was talking about Maho Beach.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Just saw in Airline routes today, Korean Air moving its daily A380 service up to Oct 2013 versus Jan 2014. Delta also restarting Kingston, Jamaica daily service in Dec.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM

3,710 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Just saw in Airline routes today, Korean Air moving its daily A380 service up to Oct 2013 versus Jan 2014. Delta also restarting Kingston, Jamaica daily service in Dec.
Both good news! Kingston was one of our glaring holes in the Caribbean.

Is the daily A380 service in addition to 3x weekly 777 service? Or is all 777 service canceled now?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
The only thing stupider than posting the clt-atl comparison, is responding to it with your own statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta