Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,260,696 times

Advertisements

I think Sting, DMB, and Muse are generally well regarded by music fans. None of that is vanilla pop music. Good lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,346,473 times
Chastain Park Amphitheater disagrees.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,452,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I think Sting, DMB, and Muse are generally well regarded by music fans. None of that is vanilla pop music. Good lord.
Agree.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:01 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That may be true, but these concerts would not be happening if the basketball games weren't happening. The lineup is intentionally vanilla and safe, because it has to appeal to the general public, and not specifically to music fans.
DMB has been selling out pretty much any and every size venue he has played for nearly 20 years. Obviously some fans there. Sting is going to bring in fans of older music. Muse is going to bring in fans of newer rock (BTW, I can't stand Muse, or at least what I know of them). If Zac Brown is playing, I'm pretty sure that will pull in a good number of people.

So...what do "music fans" listen to, then?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
DMB has been selling out pretty much any and every size venue he has played for nearly 20 years. Obviously some fans there. Sting is going to bring in fans of older music. Muse is going to bring in fans of newer rock (BTW, I can't stand Muse, or at least what I know of them). If Zac Brown is playing, I'm pretty sure that will pull in a good number of people.

So...what do "music fans" listen to, then?
I didn't say they don't have fans. I'm just saying their music is safe and bland. Sting is smooth jazz/adult contemporary. Your grandma likes him. Dave Matthews band is pretty much the same, except his voice is more grating than Sting's, so it seems like there's some edge there even though there isn't.

Most of the people who go to these types of shows probably couldn't name a current band or musician that isn't on the Billboard charts.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,385,776 times
Quote:
I didn't say they don't have fans. I'm just saying their music is safe and bland. Sting is smooth jazz/adult contemporary. Your grandma likes him. Dave Matthews band is pretty much the same, except his voice is more grating than Sting's, so it seems like there's some edge there even though there isn't.

Most of the people who go to these types of shows probably couldn't name a current band or musician that isn't on the Billboard charts.
Ah, ok...yeah, get your point there. I love DMB, and like some Sting, but otherwise... I just looked up the Billboard Top 100. I made it to #50 and still haven't found a band I listen to. But the truth is, if you're putting on a festival with a small number of bands, they generally need to be bands that will draw crowds. Small independent acts don't generally have that pull. Thus, they go with the safe.

EDIT: I made it through the entire top 100...nothing on there appealed to me!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM

32,041 posts, read 36,947,473 times
Quote:

Nothing wrong with that, of course, although I am not sure what "safe and bland" means. To me bland implies uninteresting.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Man JPD, talk about hating! Just because you don't like those bands doesn't mean people that do have poor taste. I don't like DMB at all, but I totally respect them as musicians, because they are more talented that just about any one of the non-billboard artists you speak of.

Normally I am right there with you. I hate watered down pop music created just to make money. The top 40 pop crap makes me lose faith in society even more. But these bands hardly fall into that category. This is an extremely respectable line up. Much higher quality than any other free festival with bands that people have actually heard of.

To call Muse safe and bland shows you haven't really heard their music. They are unique and extremely experimental with their music. Just because a band has had success doesn't mean they suck, sold out, or molded their style for the masses.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Man JPD, talk about hating! Just because you don't like those bands doesn't mean people that do have poor taste. I don't like DMB at all, but I totally respect them as musicians, because they are more talented that just about any one of the non-billboard artists you speak of.

Normally I am right there with you. I hate watered down pop music created just to make money. The top 40 pop crap makes me lose faith in society even more. But these bands hardly fall into that category. This is an extremely respectable line up. Much higher quality than any other free festival with bands that people have actually heard of.

To call Muse safe and bland shows you haven't really heard their music. They are unique and extremely experimental with their music. Just because a band has had success doesn't mean they suck, sold out, or molded their style for the masses.
I admit I haven't heard Muse, aside from their SNL appearance. I thought they were kind of annoying, but I could tell they were attempting something ambitious, so that's cool.

I never said a single word about anyone's taste, nor about the quality of the musicianship of the people in these bands. DMB and Sting's band are all talented musicians. I'm sure the Riverdance folks are talented dancers. See where I'm going?

What I AM saying is that this type of music appeals to people who don't really put much effort into seeking out music. They simply take what is offered by the radio or People Magazine and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that, but those aren't people with a passion for music.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I admit I haven't heard Muse, aside from their SNL appearance. I thought they were kind of annoying, but I could tell they were attempting something ambitious, so that's cool.

I never said a single word about anyone's taste, nor about the quality of the musicianship of the people in these bands. DMB and Sting's band are all talented musicians. I'm sure the Riverdance folks are talented dancers. See where I'm going?

What I AM saying is that this type of music appeals to people who don't really put much effort into seeking out music. They simply take what is offered by the radio or People Magazine and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with that, but those aren't people with a passion for music.
The reason I am arguing with you is that I am a person who is very passionate about music. I spend time seeking out new music. I can say with 100% confidence that I have great taste in music. I take pride in the diversity and quality of my music collection. And I generally hate music that resides on the billboard charts.

And the artists on this lineup appealed to me. Really, I was quite impressed. I take serious exception to the idea that these bands are flavor of the week, People magazine bands. All of these bands have been around for a long time, Muse being the youngest at 19 years. They are very well respected in music circles. To crap on these bands like they are just mass appeal bands is just not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: