Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I think the reason they have a picture of a Braves player is because of the Gwinnett Braves.

Using the logic of promoting things not in the county, why not just post a picture of a beach and palm trees and in the small print say you can get to the Gulf coast in just 5.5 hours?

I still say that is deceptive.
nah... you can't advertise something thats 5.5 hours away obviously.

What you're advertising is... hold a meeting or tradeshow here... Here is where you can stay, Here is where you can eat, and here is what there is to do.

Stone Mountain is right on our door step... its an Amenity people vising here can do.

There is also a cluster of hotels in the Park Place area of Gwinnett and a large part of their business are people visiting Stone Mountain.

But than again I'm biased... I grew up in Mountain Park, so we've always looked up at the Mountain and can hear the music form the laser shows every summer night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Stone Mountain has always been DeKalb's pride and joy and it is intricately connected with DeKalb history. I'm sure they are happy for Gwinnetians to come over for a visit but I doubt they'd be pleased about Gwinnett claiming it as a tourist attraction.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
nah... you can't advertise something thats 5.5 hours away obviously.

What you're advertising is... hold a meeting or tradeshow here... Here is where you can stay, Here is where you can eat, and here is what there is to do.

Stone Mountain is right on our door step... its an Amenity people vising here can do.

There is also a cluster of hotels in the Park Place area of Gwinnett and a large part of their business are people visiting Stone Mountain.

But than again I'm biased... I grew up in Mountain Park, so we've always looked up at the Mountain and can hear the music form the laser shows every summer night.
I could see the fireworks from my front yard at my old house off Five Forks. I was at least 8 miles away

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Isn't Stone Mountain in DeKalb? Yes, close to the line, but still? The town of Stone Mountain is definitely DeKalb. Even Stone Mountain Park, if some of it crosses into Gwinnett is nothing like the massive Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park. I love Stone Mountain, but it is very Six Flaggy too. The parkland around Kennesaw Mt NBP is like going to the middle of the Blue Ridge right in the middle of a 700,000 pop county. It is so much more than the visitor center and the drive to the top, what most people see.

Cobb's beautiful land along the Chattahoochee isn't matched in the rest of the NRA. Stunning beauty right on the heels of an edge city. And Cobb County's own park system is nothing to sneeze at either.

There is just a feeling that Cobb was part of Atlanta for many years before Gwinnett was. Cobb is more like a combo of DeKalb and Gwinnett in many ways.... Cobb actually has parts ITP. That is my feeling, and yes, my preference. Absolutely Gwinnett is a nice place, no doubt, not knocking it, but one of the reasons I prefer Cobb is it seems more varied in topography, history and architecture.
Yes...duh...you're right about historic Stone Mountain. My bad.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Hasn't the tennis center been pretty much abandoned anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Hard to find a map that shows detail, but the green blob in the right center of DeKalb is Stone Mountain Park, looks like all of it is in DeKalb.

Edit: The map boundary goes just past the actual line, look closely and you can see the yellow borderline between DeKalb and Gwinnett just inside the margin. So as CWK mentions, the tennis center is in Gwinnett, but the rest of the park in DeKalb.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 19,579 times
Also, Cobb has the city of Marietta right in the middle. Founded in 1834 with a traditional town square. A lot of Civil War history and a ton of character. Not one of those "suburbacities" without a soul that seem to be popping up everywhere. Just saying.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,136 times
I lived in Cobb for six years and I have been in Gwinnett for almost 3 years. Both counties obviously have pros and cons, but you can find good schools and neighborhoods in both depending on your preferences and price range.

As others have said, the sticking point will be job location. I am currently doing a Gwinnett-to-Cobb commute that isn't that fun. It isn't as bad as what some others deal with, but I wouldn't recommend having that much distance between home and work unless you have no other option. If the job is in Alpharetta, then you would want to stick with North Fulton or some parts of East Cobb or Northwest Gwinnett. If the job is in Duluth, then you defniitely want to stay in Gwinnett. If the job is in Kennesaw, then you definitely want to stay in Cobb. You would have multiple options if the job is in Downtown Atlanta, but that's not very common these days in some industries.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock_Woody View Post
Also, Cobb has the city of Marietta right in the middle. Founded in 1834 with a traditional town square. A lot of Civil War history and a ton of character. Not one of those "suburbacities" without a soul that seem to be popping up everywhere. Just saying.
For the sake of the OP.

This is a moot point in the discussion. So is Lawrenceville in Gwinnett, founded in 1821... the oldest city in the region.

Decatur in Dekalb is a great town center too founded in 1822. Gwinnett is also full of alot of old railroad stop towns. They are small, but the area settled first being further east, so there are alot of them.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 38,176 times
When my husband was relocated to Atlanta from TX, I drew a circle on the map...his job being at the center with a ten mile radius. Then I started looking at the cities that fell within the circle. Next I narrowed it down to what we could afford. Finally I looked at individual zip codes and school feeder patterns. When we came from out of town to look at houses we quickly dropped a few zip-codes from our list. Because of all our research we were able to buy a house on our first house-hunting trip. We have been here 8 years and have loved our location. We are in East Cobb

Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khg203 View Post
When my husband was relocated to Atlanta from TX, I drew a circle on the map...his job being at the center with a ten mile radius. Then I started looking at the cities that fell within the circle. Next I narrowed it down to what we could afford. Finally I looked at individual zip codes and school feeder patterns. When we came from out of town to look at houses we quickly dropped a few zip-codes from our list. Because of all our research we were able to buy a house on our first house-hunting trip. We have been here 8 years and have loved our location. We are in East Cobb
I wish more people moving here would do something like that. Our traffic problems would be dramatically diminished if a majority of people did that. I am always amazed at the people that live at the far ends of the region from where they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta