Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times

Advertisements

Run's round 6Mb/s burst to 10/Mbs, Have no trouble running 2 stream Hulu/Amazon @ a time.
1 @ time in HD mod' most of the time, Level 4 quality rest
2 @ time L4 quality.

Last edited by flyonpa; 04-05-2013 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: It Megabits.. Not Giga... Not have giga on the brain today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Run's round 6gb/s burst to 10/gbs, Have no trouble running 2 stream Hulu/Amazon @ a time.
1 @ time in HD mod' most of the time, Level 4 quality rest
2 @ time L4 quality.
Good to hear. I have had a couple people mention that they had trouble with Clear, but I think that was while they were still getting going. And nothing worse than AT&T or Comcast. Maybe I will give them a try.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Landline phone is dead, don't waste your money.
I also use clear, $35/month for unlimited 4G wireless internet.

Are you satisfied with your speed and reliability with Clear? I have been thinking about trying them, but have read some negtative reviews.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
The Key to Clear is to have a Direct Line of site to one of the Cell towers they are on. In back of my house facing away from towers it goes down to 2-3mb/s (2-3 bars) On 2nd floor in Direct line of sight of the towers Mostly 6mbs (Steady 5 bars). I can see two tower from 2nd floor (different windows).

From there website you can put in you address, and it will show the tower that are near by. Look @ night see how far you are from the red light on top of the towers.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:21 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Key to Clear is to have a Direct Line of site to one of the Cell towers they are on. In back of my house facing away from towers it goes down to 2-3mb/s (2-3 bars) On 2nd floor in Direct line of sight of the towers Mostly 6mbs (Steady 5 bars). I can see two tower from 2nd floor (different windows).

From there website you can put in you address, and it will show the tower that are near by. Look @ night see how far you are from the red light on top of the towers.

Thanks for the info...

Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Are you satisfied with your speed and reliability with Clear? I have been thinking about trying them, but have read some negtative reviews.
I live 300 yards from a huge cell tower, so I get very reliable speeds. Check the Clear coverage map for your area.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Depends on where you live to determine the choices available to you. Clear could be an option but the service is heavily oversubscribed, customer care lacking, and no clear commitment to. Ajob additional capital to be spent on future improvements.

Speed: typically, Comcast and Charter willbe faster, most of the time. Their infrastructure and marketing aims will make it so. Comcast installed DOCSIS 3.0 a few years back, have made steady improvements to that menagerie known as the Atlanta network. They also throw in Norton 360 and a host of other useful features.

AT&T U-Verse works well if they can get it installed. Speeds can come close to cable but, if you are a real power user with budget, you can easily surpass it. Remember, coax offerings in the commercial world run as high as 100mbs down up to 10mbps up.

AT&T's strength will be tech support. At Comcast, their customer care rivals the post office. You do the math. If you are somewhat technical you can usually get one of their folks to help you.

Value: despite the fact that most carriers now have poor customer care because the margins don't allow it, cable is typically your better bang for the buck. By the time you bundle phone, Internet, and tv, it comes out on top.

As it relates to land lines, the other poster was right about one thing. Land lines won't go down because they are powered at the central office. With Comcast, they are powered at the pole. They have been steadily installing ups units at the poles and may now have them all backed up but, residential and business lines will always have the reliability edge because of their power source. Nothing more. The question is, do you need it and are you really willing to pay for it?

The cheapest AT&T residential line will run you roughly $40 with all taxes, surcharges, universal service fund, and pay for the broke guy's service fees loaded in. Are you willing to pay for that? The only need I see is for the elderly or infirmed. This could be life saving as E-911 is fully implemented, redundant, and über reliable. If you have a sick relative or seniors in the mix or even young children, spring for the line. If you don't, drop it. Live with the VoIP lines offed by Comcast and others for the savings. They are good enough.

Or, rely on cell. Good enough.

Customer care is fair to crappy with all. Live with it. Clear is line of sight and your experience may vary. Hey, at least you have some choices. Watch out for promotional pricing and keep your eyes open for the next improvements in cable speeds. They are going to be significant albeit, heavily oversubscribed. U-Verse would be the number two pick. Dish and direct are okay for tv, laughable for Internet.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:45 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Clear is not what it used to be. When i got it in 2010, I got 5 bars of signal and 6mb constantly. Now I only get 3-4 bars and 3-4mb and have not seen the full 5 bars in over a year. On Friday nights the internet just drags and it seems if there is heavy rain, i will get no internet until the rain stops.

$40 a months is good for home service and being able to take the box with you if you are going somewhere that has clear service, but whats price if the internet is slow, drops, or just plain doesnt work.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:27 AM

229 posts, read 473,921 times
As for Clear, we use it (sort of)...actually, I have my grandparents set up with it for the internet only. It works great and it's not actually clear; it's Virgin Wireless. Same towers, etc. There is something you may want to consider, however. Although Clear and Virgin Wireless uses 4G, it's actually WiMax which is a technology that is being "cast aside" in favor for LTE. I imagine eventually Virgin and Clear will follow suit and go with the LTE but the equipment you buy today for Virgin -or- Clear will NOT be usable with LTE. As for speeds, I get similar speeds on WiMax (4-8 mps) and LTE (5-9 mps)...no real difference. But, YMMV.

For home, we are using U-verse. I hate AT&T but hate Comcast even more. I had Comcast for ONE day. Yep...ONE day. It was cancelled about 3 months ago and I am STILL fighting them about the bill. ABSOLUTE nightmare. I have been happy with U-verse although the wireless receivers are somewhat problematic. It's a new technology, so that's to be expected.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM

21 posts, read 30,968 times
Sadly there is no fancy Uverse where I will be moving to, only regular dsl ATT. So I guess comcast it is for me. I'm leaving pittsburgh and will be sad to leave my Verizon FiOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: