Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,224 times

Advertisements

I am a elem teacher and we (husband and two teenage daughters) are thinking of moving to Lithia, Douglasville, or Mableton, Ga. We are African American, and want to live in a quiet area near the City of Atlanta but not in it.

We want to be in a city that has several libraries, Barnes and Nobles, Publixes, and clean spacious parks close by.

What are the pros and cons of Lithia, Douglasville, and Mableton, Ga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Moving to the Atlanta room (as these are suburbs of Atlanta).

Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 PM

106 posts, read 237,310 times
Mableton is ok and close to Smyrna and closest to ATL of the three.

Dville if farthest and more quiet. If u are on Chapel Hill side, I think it's the best choice.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Just know that it is hard to sell a house in Atlanta bc of the surplus in inventory so be prepared to love wherever you buy bc you will pretty much be stuck with it for a good while. I'd look at the schools in the areas and weigh that heavily. I don't think these areas are known for having good schools....
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysreading View Post

What are the pros and cons of Lithia, Douglasville, and Mableton, Ga.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
I would definitely say no to Mableton. Yeah sure they have some nice subdivisions but the schools aren't good. The homes are 200k and up in those subdivisions and are in my opinion too expensive for that area. Outside the subdivision the area is pretty industrial and rundown-looking. Sure it's close to Atlanta but the area close to the city has many homes with bars on the windows which is never a good sign. Also that area is close to Atlanta's city dump and incinerator so you will smell trash burning. From what I understand some of the homes there were built on landfills. It also has a few cemetaries in that area and lots of power lines.

There also nothing to do and mostly nothing but fast food restaurants. I'd never buy a house in Mableton but that's just me.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I would definitely say no to Mableton. Yeah sure they have some nice subdivisions but the schools aren't good. The homes are 200k and up in those subdivisions and are in my opinion too expensive for that area. Outside the subdivision the area is pretty industrial and rundown-looking. Sure it's close to Atlanta but the area close to the city has many homes with bars on the windows which is never a good sign. Also that area is close to Atlanta's city dump and incinerator so you will smell trash burning. From what I understand some of the homes there were built on landfills. It also has a few cemetaries in that area and lots of power lines.

There also nothing to do and mostly nothing but fast food restaurants. I'd never buy a house in Mableton but that's just me.
A bit biased are we?

Living in Mableton, you won't smell garbage.
Mableton was not built on a garbage dump.
Only some parts of Mableton have an industrial appearance, and even in those areas, it is mixed in with newer commercial. I think a lot of people confuse older commercial for "industrial". After all, Mableton began to become suburban in the 1950s and 1960s, so it stands to reason that you'll have a fair number of buildings from this time period.
Other parts of Mableton are relatively nice.
The schools are "bad" because of the students who attend them and the scores they receive on standardized tests. It really is a cultural attitude with many of the students in that area. There are many students who perform well in those schools. The quality of education isn't necessarily worse.
You won't find bars on the windows in over 99% of the homes in Mableton.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
I have to agree that Atlanta_BD is a bit harsh on Mableton. I agree that the schools are not that strong and that should be a consideration but there are some very nice areas of Mableton that is an overflow from Smyrna (which is an overflow from Vinings)

Just last week the AJC featured an AA couple that bought in Chapel Hills in Douglasville and it seemed very nice.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM

Come on, you guys. This lady is asking for real advice for her family - comparing the three cities. Is everyone forgetting that Donald Hollowell (which turns into Veteran's Memorial, I believe) is the old BANKHEAD HIGHWAY????
A policeman recently told me that people don't know it but it is STILL one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I would say no to Mableton for that reason alone.
This woman is not familiar with Atlanta and she is moving her two children, herself and her husband. She needs a safe area and one with decent schools. OP, I would look at Lithia Springs and Douglasville (yes on Chapel Hill area) before Mableton. If you don't like Lithia Springs or Douglasville, I would encourage you to come and visit bc there are many many areas over west in addition to these three cities. These three are by far not your only options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Just know that it is hard to sell a house in Atlanta bc of the surplus in inventory so be prepared to love wherever you buy bc you will pretty much be stuck with it for a good while. I'd look at the schools in the areas and weigh that heavily. I don't think these areas are known for having good schools....

Old 04-13-2013, 08:53 PM

811 posts, read 1,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Come on, you guys. This lady is asking for real advice for her family - comparing the three cities. Is everyone forgetting that Donald Hollowell (which turns into Veteran's Memorial, I believe) is the old BANKHEAD HIGHWAY????
A policeman recently told me that people don't know it but it is STILL one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. I would say no to Mableton for that reason alone.
This woman is not familiar with Atlanta and she is moving her two children, herself and her husband. She needs a safe area and one with decent schools. OP, I would look at Lithia Springs and Douglasville (yes on Chapel Hill area) before Mableton. If you don't like Lithia Springs or Douglasville, I would encourage you to come and visit bc there are many many areas over west in addition to these three cities. These three are by far not your only options.
That is not Mableton, but is across the river in the City of Atlanta/Fulton County. It's a world of difference. Sure, Mableton isn't Alpharetta, but it sure isn't west Atlanta city limits.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 PM

Ok, I stand corrected. Thank you. So, 285 Donald Hollowell exit is not Mableton then? I ask bc my Husband has friends that live in a new subdivision in "Mableton" and I thought I remembered us coming off at that exit. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post
That is not Mableton, but is across the river in the City of Atlanta/Fulton County. It's a world of difference. Sure, Mableton isn't Alpharetta, but it sure isn't west Atlanta city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta