Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times

Advertisements

We are moving back to the Atlanta area and trying to choose a neighborhood—and like most folks, the choice of school zone is very important to us. I am pretty confident that my boys should do OK in the elementary schools in these areas, so I am more worried about middle school (and, to a lesser extent, high school). Reading stuff online about test scores and web-pages really only tell so much, and of the three, only Renfroe seemed open to scheduling some sort of tour at this time of year (neither the Inman or Trickum school secretaries were very helpful at or congenial at all, the person covering the desk at Renfroe was much better).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the boards have had recent experiences with these middle schools (or the High Schools they feed into). I am interested in the quality of instruction, quality of the facility, how well the school deals with behavior problems-bullying, and just how happy their kids were in these schools.

Last edited by jeoff; 04-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: random stuff got inserted into text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 16,819 times
We are going to visit East Cobb County middle schools, they all were quite accomodating when I asked to schedule a school tour. I am surprised other schools wouldn't let you visit.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Inman said it was too late in the year, Trickum pretty much just said no, and referred to their website and test scores. But, I got both to (hopefuly) forward my contact info to someone who could help. I got a call back from Renfroe, and they have a tour scheduled in May--again they were very nice. (maybe I just need to talk to someone that is not a school secretary).

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
CSD is currently the fastest growing school system in the state, and one of the fastest growing in the country. It may be relevant to your decision making process to know how they plan to accommodate that growth without having trailer farms, and how they plan to fund it without substantial tax increases. The school board is trying to incorporate more transparency into this master planning venture, after complaints of how things were handled previously surfaced. Might be good to get informed on the situation so you aware of any forthcoming facility changes or tax impacts.

A choice highlight:
Example: It is projected that the Decatur High School would require up to 32 Portable Classrooms to accommodate its growth. This would equate into CSD paying approximately $1,120,000 per year for a temporary solution. Another 17 Portable Classrooms would be necessary to accommodate projected growth at Renfroe Middle School at a cost of $595,000 per year.”

City Schools of Decatur - Master Planning
Decatur Metro » Superintendent Reaches Out to Community Regarding CSD Master Plan
Officials: Decatur is 1 of fastest growing districts in country - CBS Atlanta 46

Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 PM

The other schools did get back to me (and the folks that returned the calls were both nice and helpful). Inman will schedule a tour, Trickum may not be able to, but did try to be accomodating in other ways. I would still like actual input from parents that have had kids enrolled in these schools.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your input. Do you have children enrolled in CSD? Other than the rapid growth, what has your experience been like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
CSD is currently the fastest growing school system in the state, and one of the fastest growing in the country. It may be relevant to your decision making process to know how they plan to accommodate that growth without having trailer farms, and how they plan to fund it without substantial tax increases. The school board is trying to incorporate more transparency into this master planning venture, after complaints of how things were handled previously surfaced. Might be good to get informed on the situation so you aware of any forthcoming facility changes or tax impacts.

A choice highlight:
Example: It is projected that the Decatur High School would require up to 32 Portable Classrooms to accommodate its growth. This would equate into CSD paying approximately $1,120,000 per year for a temporary solution. Another 17 Portable Classrooms would be necessary to accommodate projected growth at Renfroe Middle School at a cost of $595,000 per year.”

City Schools of Decatur - Master Planning
Decatur Metro » Superintendent Reaches Out to Community Regarding CSD Master Plan
Officials: Decatur is 1 of fastest growing districts in country - CBS Atlanta 46

Old 04-24-2013, 02:18 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Thanks for your input. Do you have children enrolled in CSD? Other than the rapid growth, what has your experience been like?
I'm a product of the CSD system, but don't have kids of my own yet . . . and have been effectively priced out of that market for the foreseeable future.

I think it would be tough to fault the quality of the education available. Part of the draw used to be it was a smaller system, and that is rapidly changing. Because the schools are so engrained into the community, small issues create big ripples among residents. The redistricting process a few years ago is a good example. People move there for the schools, so backyard BBQ conversations regarding the direction and decision of the board can get divisive.

Last edited by red92s; 04-24-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 07:08 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,092 times
Is there such thing as a good middle school? LOL. It's such a tough age and a transition period for the kids. Most parents I know even in "good school districts" roll their eyes or make the bitter beer face when middle school comes up.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM

Yeah, I don't expect for middle school to be an easy transition. Still, there are differences in schools. And, all three of these schools have had recent massive changes that I am curious about:
Trickum has moved to a new location--Inman has been rezoned--and, as a previous poster noted, Renfroe is just growing quickly from year to year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Is there such thing as a good middle school? LOL. It's such a tough age and a transition period for the kids. Most parents I know even in "good school districts" roll their eyes or make the bitter beer face when middle school comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: