Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,791 times

Advertisements

Hi all and thanks in advance!

I moved to Atlanta in January and chose the Smyrna/Vinings area because that's where my job's at. However, since moving here, I've realized that the L5 area would probably be more of a match for me since I'm a mid-20's single guy who is into punk and indie rock and likes the sort of alternative culture that area offers. (And yes I know that my commute would be much longer with this move...that's not something I'm concerned about) Vinings is too hoighty-toighty for me and there doesn't seem to be much of a nightlife since it's a bunch of families living around here.

Ideally, I'd like to live close enough to bike to the L5 area but far enough away to be a little secluded and at least have the semblance of safety (i.e., not have to worry as much about crackheads and homeless people on my front stoop). However, in my online apartment searching, I really haven't turned up many places that seem all that great except maybe Bass Lofts and North High Ridge and even those have some pretty mixed reviews. I went to Promove but of course they recommended a bunch of apartments in the Midtown/Downtown area because they don't do business with any apartments east of Moreland. I'm looking for more of a village-y, non-urban vibe so I don't really want to live right in the middle of Midtown/Downtown if I can help it.

My questions:
1) Are there any apartments or duplexes in that area that come well recommended as places I should check out in my search?
2) Would I maybe be better served looking in Highlands (like in the area between North Ave and Briarcliff just north of Ponce)?

Other notes: Basically, I'm trying to get a feel for where most of the young people who hang out in the L5 area actually live. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who hangs out around there (part of why I'm trying to move closer). I'm looking to move in mid-December and I'm not really taking rent prices into consideration at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 11:33 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,688 times
Sounds like you would love the ambiance of Studioplex Lofts located in Old 4th Ward/Inman Park! It's walking distance to the Path trail and shops and eateries in the Old 4th Ward and Inman Park and jogging/biking distance to L5P/VAHI.

I own several units that I'm currently renting out in the building but if you check craigslist and search Studioplex some other listings should come up. It used to be all rentals but now the units are for sale (about 65% sold with a mix of private owners like myself who rent units out) check it out at studioplex atlanta. It's a great/secure building and it's still under the same management and it's right off of Freedom Parkway on 75/85 and next to I-20 so freeway access is a breeze.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,588 times
I'd check out stuff in Cabbagetown.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:24 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,262,660 times
Keep an eye out on craigslist. Oftentimes you can find basement or attic or duplex, etc, apartment in Candler Park. In fact, I own a duplex in Candler Park about 3/4 mile from L5P. I live in one unit and rent out the other. It's a spacious 2 bedroom/1 bath (1200 sqft) that I rent out for 1100/mo. It's rented right now...and probably will be for a while. But, you can find other places like that in Candler Park and Inman Park on places like craigslist. And you can find them in small sizes and less $$$.

I have a friend who lives in Bass Lofts and he likes living there, a lot. If you can afford ot buy there is a condo complex in Candler Park at McLendon and Candler Park Drive. It's a converted apartment complex so it definitely looks like apartments and don't look like anything special. But, they face Candler Park which is across the street and you can get them for anywhere between 150K to 175K. I know several young singles who live there and really like it. Great location.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta