Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times

Advertisements

Hey guys; been lurking here for a while and have appreciated having this forum as I started thinking about moving to Atlanta. I'll be in town to check out neighborhoods this weekend and wanted to gather some insight. My background: I work from home in the tech industry and am looking to buy a house; most recently renting in New Orleans, love it but miss big-city shopping options and some semblance of real public transportation (I realize MARTA's limits, but it's something). I'm looking at Atlanta because my family is in the southeast and I'd like to stay within driving distance. It seems like a good match of having the stuff I want from a big city while staying in this region.

1. Budget: aiming for $300k; can go up to around $325k
2. Definitely a single-family house; have a dog and need the outdoor space.
3. Work from home
4. No kids, no plans for them
5. Not sure what my preference is on suburban/urban. Willing to consider both.
6. Want to be within easy driving distance of a MARTA station with parking, or walking distance to an intown station
7. Don't care too much about the neighborhood demographics, as long as it's safe (safer than New Orleans isn't too challenging I think).

And lastly -- any thoughts on buying now vs. renting first? I'm really tired of having a landlord, I've got the savings and want to take advantage of the still-reasonable interest rates. Will be a first time homeowner though and just don't know if it's insane to move to a new city and buy my first place in one swoop.

Anyway, I'll be in town this weekend and would love to hear what you've got to say, it'll help me plan my trip. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 01:44 AM

8 posts, read 25,824 times
For that price range and I would consider Sandy Springs or Dunwoody - both are closer to Marta.
You may also move a little north to get a bigger lot for your money - Roswell / South Alpharetta. (You can drive to North Springs Station)
If you hunt well you can probably find an older SFH in buckhead/Brookhaven at around that range.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:54 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,274 times
Now seems like the time to buy, the desirable areas are having houses snapped up in hours or days instead of weeks or months like it was the last few years. a1strank gave you some good ideas for places. Parts of East Cobb could work well also that aren't too far from the Dunwoody Marta station that has free parking.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks guys. I'm in town now and will check out those areas; I didn't have them on my list before. @westau I have noticed exactly what you said -- I'm saving homes to look at and having them switch to "pending" before I even have a chance to get up here!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 PM

5 posts, read 8,081 times
Hi,

I don't know if you have already purchased. But I've lived in Atlanta, my whole life and I think that for the budget that you have, you can really find a nice location. I would also suggest buying a nice fixer upper and renovating a home that's especially designed for you. I think that the Kennesaw area (if you would like to stay north) or even the Sandy Springs areas. I think either would be a great location for you as well. But make sure that when purchasing a home, that you are really researching the property taxes because living in the actual city of Atlanta is kind of pricey.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Thanks, Fresh. Just visited this weekend, haven't purchased yet. I liked the suburban areas to the north with the park-and-ride MARTA stations alright. I really liked the Decatur and Druid Hills areas though. Not sure if my budget will stretch to find something decent there; renovation may be a smart move if I want to try to locate there. The suburbs + MARTA isn't a bad second option though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta