Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,910,461 times

Advertisements

Use this website for help: CrimeMapping.com - National Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,555,565 times
stone mountain use to be so nice...it was were all the upper middle class blacks live and they had great schools...but in the last 15 years it decline. Move out a little further..like conyers and it gets a little better

Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,792,661 times
Moved from the Dekalb side of Stone Mountain about 7 years ago in the Abington Estates neigborhood, just north of Memorial and west of N. Harriston.
I think you can find a nice inexpensive house in a pretty safe neigborhood, but the schools are below average, and I would not send my kids there. You would probably end up doing most of your shopping in either Tucker or Gwinnett. Outside of panhandling and having stuff taken from an unlocked car--never had any problems. Neighbors were all pretty nice. Neigborhoods split between black, Asian (Vietnamese, Pakistani), and elderly White. No white families moved into the older neighborhoods while we lived there, although some did move into the new developments nearby (which can be had at a very reasonable price, now).

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,154,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Malone View Post
I've looked on other sites and found horrible reviews on stone mountain. Is it true it is for really poor blacks, school systems are terrible, its run down, and crime rate is high? Im interested in a particular subdivision that Im looking at in the area. What areas are good in the area?

Where specifically are you trying to move to?

Stone Mountain Lithonia Rd and north towards Gwinett is pretty decent. 30087 and the Lithonia neighborhoods that border the area are nice.

Redan Rd-is okay at best. Btwn allgood and Panola Rd, you will probably not want to live in there as the houses are okay to nice, but the crowd just makes you want to move.

S Indian Creek Dr- still seems okay on some parts.

Allgood & Roland Rds - Are not bad either and no marta runs there.

Rockbridge Rd- seems okay but I have not been over in that area in a while

S Hairston Rd- Avoid the apartment complexes. The neighborhoods near Covington hwy past the Publix are nice, but is considered Decatur.

N Hairston Rd- Avoid the apartment complexes, the newer town homes above central drive look nice

Memorial Dr- Is hopeless as it seems most of your shopping will not be on that road. There may be some nice neighborhoods left. Atleast there is a brand new walmart @ N Hairston eventhough everyone says alot of the crowd in there is very ghetto.

If schools are you concern I would try to stay near the Shiloh High school area in snelville, but you will have to deal with the awful commute on the 78.

But most of what you hear is true along with some great exaggerations too. Stn Mtn is not a run down projects slum area. The area looks nice on the outside in many areas, but the crowds you live with is what can make your life hell. I lived in Stn Mtn for 22 yrs and saw it go down hill from white flight to inheriting Atlanta problems from the projects, to too many section residents moving in and bringing down many of the neighborhoods. It can be hit or miss depending on where you live or if you have kids that you want o send to school.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I am looking into the townhomes at hairston park and clarion downs, any information on safety.I am concerned that they are both in front of bus-stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Where specifically are you trying to move to?

Stone Mountain Lithonia Rd and north towards Gwinett is pretty decent. 30087 and the Lithonia neighborhoods that border the area are nice.

Redan Rd-is okay at best. Btwn allgood and Panola Rd, you will probably not want to live in there as the houses are okay to nice, but the crowd just makes you want to move.

S Indian Creek Dr- still seems okay on some parts.

Allgood & Roland Rds - Are not bad either and no marta runs there.

Rockbridge Rd- seems okay but I have not been over in that area in a while

S Hairston Rd- Avoid the apartment complexes. The neighborhoods near Covington hwy past the Publix are nice, but is considered Decatur.

N Hairston Rd- Avoid the apartment complexes, the newer town homes above central drive look nice

Memorial Dr- Is hopeless as it seems most of your shopping will not be on that road. There may be some nice neighborhoods left. Atleast there is a brand new walmart @ N Hairston eventhough everyone says alot of the crowd in there is very ghetto.

If schools are you concern I would try to stay near the Shiloh High school area in snelville, but you will have to deal with the awful commute on the 78.

But most of what you hear is true along with some great exaggerations too. Stn Mtn is not a run down projects slum area. The area looks nice on the outside in many areas, but the crowds you live with is what can make your life hell. I lived in Stn Mtn for 22 yrs and saw it go down hill from white flight to inheriting Atlanta problems from the projects, to too many section residents moving in and bringing down many of the neighborhoods. It can be hit or miss depending on where you live or if you have kids that you want o send to school.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,861,282 times
How about Smoke Rise? We had some friends out there and it was beautiful.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,548,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How about Smoke Rise? We had some friends out there and it was beautiful.
Smoke Rise is a nice area with a Stone Mountain address inside of DeKalb County.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM

16,721 posts, read 29,587,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Smoke Rise is a nice area with a Stone Mountain address inside of DeKalb County.

Now, the people of Smoke Rise have the option of using "Smoke Rise" or "Stone Mountain" for their postal address.

Smoke Rise, GA.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,114 times
Ghetto these days.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,548,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Ghetto these days.
...But almost about as good as it gets in DeKalb County these days below Brookhaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta