Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,905,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
What? The East Atlanta farmers market is at the intersection of May and Flat Shoals. There is a hand-painted sign for it visible in the Street View link you posted. Pretty much every report of that incident, including the subsequent memorial service, has it occurring very near that intersection. If someone says "we are interested in a home right beside the farmer's market", then they can likely see where the incident occurred. You are kidding yourself suggesting a couple hundred feet in any direction makes a difference here.
I was referring to the OP's earlier post that included a map.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 AM

258 posts, read 605,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
What? The East Atlanta farmers market is at the intersection of May and Flat Shoals. There is a hand-painted sign for it visible in the Street View link you posted. Pretty much every report of that incident, including the subsequent memorial service, has it occurring very near that intersection. If someone says "we are interested in a home right beside the farmer's market", then they can likely see where the incident occurred. You are kidding yourself suggesting a couple hundred feet in any direction makes a difference here.
This is indeed pretty close to the house I was talking about. Something to keep in mind.

On that note, we are looking through dozens of houses on Listingbook. There is only that one house in EAV that we are considering. (It looks like a great deal, and has been on the market since January so we may see that there is something wrong with the home itself.) We seem to be finding a lot of good options in Kirkwood and a few in Grant Park. From what I'm reading, both will have their share of petty crime but the violent crime doesn't seem to be as much of a concern as EA. Am I somewhat accurate in that assessment?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I was referring to the OP's earlier post that included a map.
Yes I believe you guys are looking at two different posts of mine. One was a question about the Mcpherson Ave area and the other one was a post about the house beside the East Atlanta Farmers Market.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
This is indeed pretty close to the house I was talking about. Something to keep in mind.

On that note, we are looking through dozens of houses on Listingbook. There is only that one house in EAV that we are considering. (It looks like a great deal, and has been on the market since January so we may see that there is something wrong with the home itself.) We seem to be finding a lot of good options in Kirkwood and a few in Grant Park. From what I'm reading, both will have their share of petty crime but the violent crime doesn't seem to be as much of a concern as EA. Am I somewhat accurate in that assessment?
I have lived in Kirkwood for over 2 years and while violent crime is very low, petty crime is an issue. One can make themselves preventable to petty crime. Remove all valuable things from your car, get an alarm, pad lock on gates, do not leave law equipment outside, and most important; get to know your neighbors.
I have not been a victim of crime, yet. knock on wood. I know my surroundings at all times and do not advertise my phone. I have walked several times home from the MARTA station late at night and never had an issue.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I have lived in Kirkwood for over 2 years and while violent crime is very low, petty crime is an issue. One can make themselves preventable to petty crime. Remove all valuable things from your car, get an alarm, pad lock on gates, do not leave law equipment outside, and most important; get to know your neighbors.
I have not been a victim of crime, yet. knock on wood. I know my surroundings at all times and do not advertise my phone. I have walked several times home from the MARTA station late at night and never had an issue.
Good to know. I'd rather take my chances with petty crimes than violent crimes. Luckily my wife and I both drive very modest cars and never leave anything valuable inside.

Is Kirkwood also "on it's way up" or is it just pretty much holding steady?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
Good to know. I'd rather take my chances with petty crimes than violent crimes. Luckily my wife and I both drive very modest cars and never leave anything valuable inside.

Is Kirkwood also "on it's way up" or is it just pretty much holding steady?
Its going up. 3 new restaurants, 1 new coffee shop/craft beer bar, 1 wine store, all opening in Downtown Kirkwood. Families everywhere, Toomer has begun research to become a k-8 for Jackson cluster. The neighborhood association is very strong Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA. Home prices are rising, several homes on my block are going mid $200Ks. I was lucky I bought my house at the bottom.
This is just my opinion, some posters on here will accuse me of trying to sell Kirkwood, but I feel it is a great, diverse neighborhood that offers a great lifestyle.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 AM

280 posts, read 390,219 times
Quote:
Its going up. 3 new restaurants, 1 new coffee shop/craft beer bar, 1 wine store, all opening in Downtown Kirkwood. Families everywhere, Toomer has begun research to become a k-8 for Jackson cluster. The neighborhood association is very strong Kirkwood Neighbors' Organization (KNO) :: Kirkwood Neighborhood, Atlanta, GA. Home prices are rising, several homes on my block are going mid $200Ks. I was lucky I bought my house at the bottom.
This is just my opinion, some posters on here will accuse me of trying to sell Kirkwood, but I feel it is a great, diverse neighborhood that offers a great lifestyle.
I agree, Kirkwood is on the way up. We have a lot of young marrieds in the medical training programs at Emory who have bought their first home in Kirkwood, because the commute to the jobs in the Clifton Corridor is very straightforward. It is a great area for cycling, because of the Trolley Trail from Decatur to the Krog Tunnel (and soon the Beltline).

Old 08-13-2013, 09:48 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,791,919 times
cq-Everyone knows you love your neighborhood! There are a lot of positive things happening in Kirkwood. (If it were up to me, it would be on our short list of places to move to--but it looks like I am losing the battle with my better half to live intown at all!).

Quote:

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
cq-Everyone knows you love your neighborhood! There are a lot of positive things happening in Kirkwood. (If it were up to me, it would be on our short list of places to move to--but it looks like I am losing the battle with my better half to live intown at all!).
I just wanted top present that to the OP, instead of having other people attack me for selling Kirkwood.
That's why my status is 'Mr. Kirkwood'

Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kferq View Post
I agree, Kirkwood is on the way up. We have a lot of young marrieds in the medical training programs at Emory who have bought their first home in Kirkwood, because the commute to the jobs in the Clifton Corridor is very straightforward. It is a great area for cycling, because of the Trolley Trail from Decatur to the Krog Tunnel (and soon the Beltline).
Don't forget the bike lanes on Hosea L. Williams Drive too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta