Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a separate suburbs forum?
Make a new "Atlanta suburbs forum" 28 32.56%
No new forum. 58 67.44%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 PM

421 posts, read 749,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Never understood why so many in the suburbs think those of us that live intown live in a "different world" when we are really just a short drive.
40 minutes is short?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
You could, but it'd be completely dead just like the other Georgia subforums.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,738,339 times
Why promote more ITP vs OTP separatism? That attitude isn't doing Atlanta ANY sort of good... Only holds back progress with disagreements

Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
There should not be a separate forum for the Atlanta suburbs because the suburban (mostly OTP) vs. urban (mostly ITP) experience and the accompanying political, social and cultural tension between the generally more left-leaning area inside of the I-285 Perimeter and the generally more right-leaning area outside of the I-285 Perimeter is one of the things that makes living in the Atlanta area so very unique.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeminds View Post
Who said anything about density?
Because most people who claim to live in Atlanta don't live in Atlanta at all. Again, out of Metro Atlanta's nearly 6 million people, less than 500k of those people actually live in the City of Atlanta. It has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum that this area's growth has centered mostly around the suburbs. Even when discussing crime statistics many people in this forum feel all of the MSA should be lumped together when discussing Atlanta's crime.

One thing I find interesting on this forum is the inability to separate Atlanta from it's suburbs. Even when I talk to people in person. I remember I was at a gathering at a friend's place in Alpharetta. I didn't know many of the peple there so they began asking questions about me. Everyone lived in the north suburbs but me. One of the ladies asked where I lived. I said Atlanta. Everyone laughed at me then my friend said, "We all live in Atlanta!" I said, "No, you don't live in Atlanta. You live in Duluth. She asked me where I lived. I actually live in the city of Atlanta."

I see where Flimadiddle is coming from in terms of density because most people who call themselves Atlantans don't live in Atlanta. As a result, there would be too much overlap from those who live in the suburbs if there were two separate forums.

I think many people see Atlanta's suburbs as neighborhoods instead of the different municpalities with their own governments and public services that they are. A seperate forum would be pointless.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
In most other large cities something like two thirds of the metro population live in the city limits. Here only ten percent live in the city limits.

Sandy Springs, Alpharetta etcetera are just as important to Atlanta as almost any intown neighborhood. If the lines were drawn the way they should be Decatur, Perimeter Center, Brookhaven and more would be in city limits.

Let's stop the ITP vs OTP crap and start working together.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
No because Atlanta is so interdependent on its suburbs. Just look at how many people are downtown in the daytime for work, but the mass exodus occurs when people leave work on the daily basis. I would say those additional people are part of the City of Atlanta data in some ways.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Why promote more ITP vs OTP separatism? That attitude isn't doing Atlanta ANY sort of good... Only holds back progress with disagreements
It's not separatism as it is efficient and practical. The needs of the city and suburbs are clearly different and it would REDUCE fighting to have different forums to talk about them.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
There should not be a separate forum for the Atlanta suburbs because the suburban (mostly OTP) vs. urban (mostly ITP) experience and the accompanying political, social and cultural tension between the generally more left-leaning area inside of the I-285 Perimeter and the generally more right-leaning area outside of the I-285 Perimeter is one of the things that makes living in the Atlanta area so very unique.
It keeps discussions from going anywhere. The conservative suburbs can discuss their own needs.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
In most other large cities something like two thirds of the metro population live in the city limits. Here only ten percent live in the city limits.

Sandy Springs, Alpharetta etcetera are just as important to Atlanta as almost any intown neighborhood. If the lines were drawn the way they should be Decatur, Perimeter Center, Brookhaven and more would be in city limits.

Let's stop the ITP vs OTP crap and start working together.
It isn't "VS". The suburbs have different needs and nothing gets done when you try to lump them together with the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta