Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,373,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Is Roswell really that "white?" I've never thought of it as such ...

NO, it is NOT that "white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:07 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
I don't know--we live <10 minutes from Roswell Square in East Cobb. My child's elementary school is that white. We attend church in Roswell (United Methodist FWIW--I know this doesn't apply to the OP) and it is that white. On school digger you can look at the breakdown for each school. I think unfortunately for the OP, it is difficult to come up with what she is looking at her budget (and for a lot of us here!) Yes, Roswell is clearly not Grant Park, but it is cute and possible to live in the walkable-to-restaurants/shops (granted, not a huge selection but still) and have good schools and a decent commute for the OP's dh. With the long hours his business requires, it seems like living further from work may not work in the interest of time with husband/dad. The comparable lack of diversity is worth exploring further, though, imo.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM

927 posts, read 2,226,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Is Roswell really that "white?" I've never thought of it as such ...

Put it like this, the older the children get, the less diversity they'll find. Some elementary schools in Roswell are very diverse, some are extremely white. Once they enter middle school, the two that serve Roswell are about 50% white to 20% black (Elkins Point) and 70% to 30% (Crabapple). Once in high school, it becomes about 60% to 20% at Centennial and 70% to 20% at Roswell.

Now we could go back and forth about how it "feels" to people or split hairs about the number of mixed couples we see in downtown Roswell, but those are the demographics.

The only thing that would make me look at Roswell a bit longer is the proximity from the job; because, let's be real, no one wants to deal with ATL traffic. That might be persuasive in itself. And perhaps those diversity numbers are okay for the OP. But, again, I don't think the OP is aiming for something that is simply OK for her.

Barring the proximity, there is nothing else in Roswell that the OP is looking for that she can't find much better in other parts of Atlanta.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM

115 posts, read 212,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
It's not about having trouble in metro Atlanta or it being looked down upon, so I hope that is not what you gleaned from my statements. I'm sure a mixed race family can indeed be fine anywhere in metro Atlanta. Rather, it's about having a neighborhood that will be ideal for a black and white family. Roswell is not ideal given the plethora of diverse, liberal, and urban neighborhoods in the actual City of Atlanta that more ideally fit the OP's specifications, none of which describes Roswell.
Bizchick, your posts are so helpful! 10% black is definitely NOT what we are looking for (and the primary reason we left Portland in the first place).

Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Put it like this, the older the children get, the less diversity they'll find. Some elementary schools in Roswell are very diverse, some are extremely white. Once they enter middle school, the two that serve Roswell are about 50% white to 20% black (Elkins Point) and 70% to 30% (Crabapple). Once in high school, it becomes about 60% to 20% at Centennial and 70% to 20% at Roswell.

Now we could go back and forth about how it "feels" to people or split hairs about the number of mixed couples we see in downtown Roswell, but those are the demographics.

The only thing that would make me look at Roswell a bit longer is the proximity from the job; because, let's be real, no one wants to deal with ATL traffic. That might be persuasive in itself. And perhaps those diversity numbers are okay for the OP. But, again, I don't think the OP is aiming for something that is simply OK for her.

Barring the proximity, there is nothing else in Roswell that the OP is looking for that she can't find much better in other parts of Atlanta.
Yes, his hours will be crazy, which is all the more reason the kids and I need to be comfortable in our surroundings (I will need to make friends since I won't see much of my husband!). In addition to our children being bi-racial, our eldest daughter is gender non-conforming so we really want a place that will embrace us and all our quirkiness!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I am curious how long ago you lived there.
I left Roswell July 2012. As of this posting, I have only lived away from it for about 14 months.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM

550 posts, read 989,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandshaws View Post
Yes, his hours will be crazy, which is all the more reason the kids and I need to be comfortable in our surroundings (I will need to make friends since I won't see much of my husband!). In addition to our children being bi-racial, our eldest daughter is gender non-conforming so we really want a place that will embrace us and all our quirkiness!
I think this could be tough in Roswell.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Bizchick, your posts are so helpful! 10% black is definitely NOT what we are looking for (and the primary reason we left Portland in the first place).

No prob!! You have a unique situation, so if anything it'll just take a bit of time to figure out what you can do. It's a challenge, but nowhere near impossible!

And, the rental market is fortunately pretty good in Atlanta, so if you don't like a place and it doesn't work out, you only have a year-long commitment.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
No prob!! You have a unique situation, so if anything it'll just take a bit of time to figure out what you can do. It's a challenge, but nowhere near impossible!

And, the rental market is fortunately pretty good in Atlanta, so if you don't like a place and it doesn't work out, you only have a year-long commitment.
True... but with a kid in elementary school, it's tougher to just up and move to a different area after putting her in a new school to begin with. It would be great to at least feel good enough about an area that we would stay in the same school if we went from renting to buying (or from renting one place to renting another place).

Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
True... but with a kid in elementary school, it's tougher to just up and move to a different area after putting her in a new school to begin with. It would be great to at least feel good enough about an area that we would stay in the same school if we went from renting to buying (or from renting one place to renting another place).

Riiight. Then definitely think long and hard. And visit! It's important to get a sense of how the different neighborhoods feel on different days and at different times -- both to guage how safe it is for you and the family, to see if it's active/urban enough for you all, and to see how people of different races interact. One of the best places for the latter is at parks and playgrounds after school. Do kids of different races play together? Do the moms (probably sexist thinking, but they usu. are moms) mix it up or are they more homogenous?

Also, check city data for the school diversity percentages and clatl.com for their ultimate neighborhood guide, which breaks down the qualities and amenities of most neighborhoods in the city proper, and some outside of that. It's a little dated (2011) and it could be more comprehensive, but the guide is a good start for newcomers.

It'd be good if you can come while the kids are on their December holiday break or spring break and spend a couple of weeks testing the neighborhoods and the commute. Perhaps stay at a cheap bed and breakfast in one of the neighborhoods, since they tend to feel more local and are right in the neighborhoods and not touristy areas.

Moving is no easy task, and the better you can research in person beforehand, the better off you'd be. Location can make a world of difference and can greatly alter your perception of a city for better or worse. Even living in the supposed greatest city in the world (NYC), my perspective and enjoyment depended on where I lived.

If you'd like further recommendations, feel free to PM me! One of my first jobs required me to learn every nook and cranny of the city and I've got a decent perspective on metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta