Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM

258 posts, read 605,007 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I will be ending our currentl lease shortly. We have decided to by inside the city of Atlanta. We are in our mid twenties. No kids and no plans on them for the next few years. We do have a medium sized dog so we are looking for a house with a fenced (or fenceable) backyard.

Our needs and wants are fairly simple:

-$200K price cap
-2+ Bedrooms
-1,000+ square ft. (or 900 sq ft for a place that has an efficient use of space)
-Safety (Obviously we know any intown neighborhood in this price range is going to have it's share of non-violent crime, etc. We aren't under the illusion that his will be a gated Alpharetta subdivision here. We just don't want to worry about gang violence, assaults, armed robberies, murders, etc.)
-Backyard with at least decent space

The Standard Template:

1. Budget - $200K max
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Wife in Grant Park / I'm in Outside Sales so I travel around midtown area
4. Children(public school vs. private) - No kids at the moment. Will probably try for charter school down the road when we have them
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Urban (ITP) but also a house in a neighborhood
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not important.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Diverse is fine, but we don't want to be the ONLY white family.

So far we have come up with a few neighbordhoods that we are looking in. I wanted to start this thread to see if there are any areas we are missing. We don't want anywhere in unincorporated Dekalb.

We have seen a few good options in:

-East Atlanta (Some cool places under $200K a stone's throw away from EAV)

-Cabbagetown (The area doesn't seem sketchy, but the affordable houses seem to need more TLC than we have the time energy for.)

-Cheshire Bridge Rd Area (Yeah yeah yeah, the XXX shops are annoying, but there are some nice residential areas just off the road behind Southern Nights XXX and that car wash. However, I'm not sure what this neighborhood is called. Is it just considered Buckhead-ish?)

-Underwood Hills (This is where we are renting right now. Its a long shot that anything decent here would fall to $200K but we are still keeping our eyes open for bargains that might pop up.

We have done our research on these areas. We are wondering if there were any additional suggestions you guys might have that might meet our needs? We would like to have as many options as possible to look into. Thanks!

Last edited by mjedwards409; 08-11-2013 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM

95 posts, read 178,121 times
Check out Toco Hills area just north of Decatur. You can find some small homes in your price range and it is a decent area.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassNorth View Post
Check out Toco Hills area just north of Decatur. You can find some small homes in your price range and it is a decent area.
Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't that about TH. Will add that to the list to be willing to look at. Not crazy about the traffic from that particular area coming into the city. Every time we come back to Midtown from the Dekalb Farmers Market is a brutal stop and go that takes about 45 mins. But all options need to be on the table with a $200K price match.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 PM

95 posts, read 178,121 times
That is one of my biggest complaints about Atlanta is the insane traffic. What part of town do you work in? That would be my deciding factor on where I moved to.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassNorth View Post
That is one of my biggest complaints about Atlanta is the insane traffic. What part of town do you work in? That would be my deciding factor on where I moved to.
My wife works in Grant Park and I work in West Midtown. Normally we have in-town mapped out pretty well and traffic isn't a huge concern. However, that North Druid Hills area specifically has been brutal every time I have driven on it. Not so much because of the traffic alone, but just the fact that the roads are so small and the traffic lights are just a pain in the butt.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,736 times
Have you considered looking in Grant Park or Summerhill? Since your wife works in the area, it would be great for her, and it's also a short commute to West Midtown. I think you can find a 2 bed in GRant Park for right around your price range, maybe $215, and Summerhill definitely has some in that price range. They are both safe, walkable neighborhoods - I think they meet your criteria perfectly.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Have you considered looking in Grant Park or Summerhill? Since your wife works in the area, it would be great for her, and it's also a short commute to West Midtown. I think you can find a 2 bed in GRant Park for right around your price range, maybe $215, and Summerhill definitely has some in that price range. They are both safe, walkable neighborhoods - I think they meet your criteria perfectly.
She loves Grant Park. Every time I've been there it seems like all the places are either $350K+ or extremely sketchy. (Admittedly I haven't looked extensively at houses there) We will definitely speak to the realtor and see if she can show us a bit in that area too.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,726,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
She loves Grant Park. Every time I've been there it seems like all the places are either $350K+ or extremely sketchy. (Admittedly I haven't looked extensively at houses there) We will definitely speak to the realtor and see if she can show us a bit in that area too.
For Grant Park, stay north of the railroad tracks, south of memorial, east of hill, and west of confederate. Any listings that say Grant Park but are not in those boundaries aren't actually in Grant Park. I really wouldn't consider any part of Grant Park sketchy, there may be some run down houses here and there, but they tend to be owned by older people who survived the gentrification of the neighborhood. I can tell you with 100% certainty deals can be had in Grant Park. I bought a house fitting your exact criteria in the neighborhood, move in ready. Prices are going up a bit now, but I recently saw a 2/2 for $215 and a 3/2 for $220 in the neighborhood - they both sold very fast, so just keep an eye out.

For Summerhill, stay north if Georgia ave, and east of Turner Field. It is also a nice area with a very involved neighborhood association.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
For Grant Park, stay north of the railroad tracks, south of memorial, east of hill, and west of confederate. Any listings that say Grant Park but are not in those boundaries aren't actually in Grant Park. I really wouldn't consider any part of Grant Park sketchy, there may be some run down houses here and there, but they tend to be owned by older people who survived the gentrification of the neighborhood. I can tell you with 100% certainty deals can be had in Grant Park. I bought a house fitting your exact criteria in the neighborhood, move in ready. Prices are going up a bit now, but I recently saw a 2/2 for $215 and a 3/2 for $220 in the neighborhood - they both sold very fast, so just keep an eye out.

For Summerhill, stay north if Georgia ave, and east of Turner Field. It is also a nice area with a very involved neighborhood association.
Great info. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Kirkwood, east lake, edgewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta