Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 PM

22 posts, read 50,049 times

Advertisements

Hi LovelySummer. Exegetical churches literally teach through an entire book of the Bible verse by verse. Many churches teach based on themes and then build Scripture around it. It's just two different approaches. I prefer exegetical b/c you get the whole of the Bible not just verses picked to go around a theme. Don't think either is better or worse, it's just a preference. Hope that helped.

Also, I agree about Suwanee, but it beats Buford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,147,380 times
Oh, I see. Thanks for that explanation. I'm not sure if Suwanee beats Buford. There needs to be an entire movement in the Atlanta to rid the metro of names that suck.

Suwanee
Buford
Dacula

I'm sure there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr74 View Post
Hi LovelySummer. Exegetical churc
hes literally teach through an entire book of the Bible verse by verse. Many churches teach based on themes and then build Scripture around it. It's just two different approaches. I prefer exegetical b/c you get the whole of the Bible not just verses picked to go around a theme. Don't think either is better or worse, it's just a preference. Hope that helped.

Also, I agree about Suwanee, but it beats Buford.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:19 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I've always hated the name "Suwanee" but I guess there must be a reason that someone would name a city that.
'Suwanee' most likely originates from Native American, probably Cherokee, given that there's a few things bearing the name in the Southeast; the town, the river in south Georgia, the Florida county, the college in Tennessee.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
'Suwanee' most likely originates from Native American, probably Cherokee, given that there's a few things bearing the name in the Southeast; the town, the river in south Georgia, the Florida county, the college in Tennessee.
We had a street called Suwanee Drive in my home town in Northeast Ohio, so somehow the word made its way up north as well; not sure of the origins of that street name. Here's a link that discusses the possible origins of the city name of Suwanee. To me, the name "Buford" is much worse! :-)

City of Suwanee, Georgia | About Suwanee - History

Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,391 times
What's wrong with Suwanee? Suwaaannnnneeee, how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Suwaaaannneeee...

Old 09-12-2013, 09:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
I have personally never even thought about it until now, but I guess to some, the names of the towns of Suwanee, Buford and Dacula are not all that appealing as suburban names.

But people who don't like the names of those suburban towns should keep in mind that those and other now-suburban towns were named long before anyone might have ever known that they would be suburbs of Atlanta.

Those now-suburban towns were not necessarily named to appeal to 21st Century suburbanites (see the "Hog Mountain" areas of Gwinnett and Hall counties...the historical "Hog Mountain" area of Gwinnett County in unincorporated Dacula is now known as "Hamilton Mill").

Those now-suburban towns and villages were named for their own unique reasons back in the 19th Century (historical figures, reasons of significance to the area's settlers and townspeople, etc).

Those former rural towns and villages and now-suburban towns and cities were not necessarily named to have a mass appeal like some subdivisions and residential developments built in the late-20th and early 21st centuries might have been named.

Many of those suburban towns with names that some may not find appealing were only recently overtaken and swallowed by the outer-suburban and exurban development of a fast-growing Metro Atlanta within the last 3 decades or so.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:25 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I have personally never even thought about it until now, but I guess to some, the names of the towns of Suwanee, Buford and Dacula are not all that appealing as suburban names.

But people who don't like the names of those suburban towns should keep in mind that those and other now-suburban towns were named long before anyone might have ever known that they would be suburbs of Atlanta.

Those now-suburban towns were not necessarily named to appeal to 21st Century suburbanites (see the "Hog Mountain" areas of Gwinnett and Hall counties...the historical "Hog Mountain" area of Gwinnett County in unincorporated Dacula is now known as "Hamilton Mill").

Those now-suburban towns and villages were named for their own unique reasons back in the 19th Century (historical figures, reasons of significance to the area's settlers and townspeople, etc).

Those former rural towns and villages and now-suburban towns and cities were not necessarily named to have a mass appeal like some subdivisions and residential developments built in the late-20th and early 21st centuries might have been named.

Many of those suburban towns with names that some may not find appealing were only recently overtaken and swallowed by the outer-suburban and exurban development of a fast-growing Metro Atlanta within the last 3 decades or so.
Another example is the northern part of Johns Creek as well as the south Forsyth part of Suwanee (which isn't really the city of Suwanee, just the zip code), which was called Shakerag. I have also spoken with a number of people who wish that they would change the name of "Cumming."

Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,562,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I have also spoken with a number of people who wish that they would change the name of "Cumming."
That its a town's name is probably the only thing keeping it from getting asterisked over on c-d.com

Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 50,049 times
My mother asked me to move anywhere but Cumming. She said she wouldn't be able to tell her friends. Hilarious!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:32 AM

74 posts, read 173,690 times
Your need for tennis and church should be fairly easy to find here in that area. ALTA has leagues that play out of a lot of the neighboring communities. I am sure that you will find a community that you can play out of fairly close to your home. Peachtree Corners and Norcross are a bit further south, about a 20 to 30 minute commute. There is plenty of what you want in the Suwanee - Buford area.

Suwanee is in a great location for you take advantage of the Mall of Ga. area with its great shops and resturants. Good location for traveling with quick access to I85, I985 and Peachtree Industrail to commute to just about anywhere. They are widening Ga20 which will take you over to Cumming and access to Ga400. You will be very close to Lake Lanier which is a great place for camping, fishing and the water park there. Lanier Islands is a nice venue for entertainment.

Good Luck with your move...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta