Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,848,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
San Francisco: Nevada dumps homeless, mentally ill on streets :: The Salt Lake Tribune

Nevada has been secretly sending homeless people from Nevada to San Fran lol.

Mayor Reed should try that here. He should rent about 5x 59 passenger buses, stop by that homeless shelter on Pine St and tell them they are going to an all you can eat restaurant and then send them to New Orleans lol
HAHAHAHAH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 02:50 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,174,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The answer is not to concentrate poverty, but disperse it. Public housing was an experiment in concentrating poverty and trying to centrally manage it. It failed miserably. There is no reason why the city of Atlanta should have to burden the majority of the metro's poor residents and allow the suburbs to not support the poor.

If you worked hard for everything you have, is it fair that you bust your butt for 8 hrs at work and have to commute 1 -1.5hrs each way, while your new section 8 neighbor stays at home, only to come home and notice homes being broken into during broad day light, graffiti, boys walking around with their pants off their azz, loud vulgar rap music being played super loud because this is the behaior they are used to and have now relocated it to your quite neighborhood.

Here is a better example: You pay extra for a 1st class ticket for peace and rest on a 8 hr flight, but the government says it isnt fair coach gets less room, so they give a $5 voucher and now your stuck next to a crying baby or some loudmouth person for the rest of your flight. Is it fair you paid $1000 for a ticket, but the other person paid $5 because someone thought they should be able to enjoy what you have as well because everyone was cramped in coach.

I know public housing projects were a massive failure, but if you want to live somewhere nice and peaceful you should pay exactly what the other people have to pay to live there, not have it given to you for peanuts, then still abuse it. Tear down the projects and make new ones and weed out the bad folks. Most of the people who stayed when there projects were rebuilt to something nicer are the folks who were not causing any problems to begin with.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,874,820 times
Honestly I think that the FBI data is pretty misleading due to the post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yep, Chicago proper alone has nearly 3 million people.

What people also don’t get is that Chicago’s murder rate was way worse in the 80’s and 90’s when it was double of what it is now (it was over 900 back then), yet when Chicago had nearly 1,000 murders, the city’s murder rate wasn’t national news. Why is it national news now even though it’s gone down significantly?

Just like Atlanta, even Chicago’s worse neighborhoods have seen a decline in murders since 1965 (again it was almost 1,000 in the 80’s and 90’s).

The shootings aren’t widespread all over the city as the media would have you believe. Chicago is huge and has 77 distinct communities that contain all of the city’s neighborhoods. The shootings are confined to about 25 of those communities and are typically concentrated on the city’s south and west sides; and they really are the city’s absolute worst neighborhoods (obviously). Chicago’s worst 25 communities combined have a population that is more than double the population of the entire city of Atlanta. With that being said, the other 52 Chicago communities are pretty safe and have very little no crime and no murders at all.

As someone else mentioned, the murders in Atlanta are confined to three certain zones. The same can be said for Chicago, but because it’s so big and has way more people, it has way more bad areas.

Even with the crime being concentrated on the south and west sides, all south and west side areas are not bad. For example, I’m from Beverly, a mostly working-class community on the far southwest side of the city and some of my immediate family still lives there. There are NO murders in my old community and it also has very few other crimes. Outside the worst 25 areas, the rest of the city is pretty safe.

As you said, looking at raw numbers it looks pretty bad, but when broken down, Chicago still has fewer murders per 100k people than many other cities. The whole city of Chicago isn’t the Wild, Wild West like people have been led to believe in recent years.
Atlanta's murder rate is actually comparable to Chicago, if not worse due to the large population of Chicago and like the poster above mentioned, they have nearly 3 million people in the city itself so statistically 500 murders is pretty low in a city with a population of that size.

My husband is from Chicago and he has friends who had people murdered in their family in the 70s and 80s. A couple of his cousins were murdered in the late 70s/early 80s during the heroine epidemic. The neighborhood where most of his family lives now is much better than it used to be.

Just like Atlanta, Chicago has pockets of areas where crime is committed. The whole city is not some sort of hell hole and too much is made IMO of the murders there especially since they are pretty low compared to what they were in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If you worked hard for everything you have, is it fair that you bust your butt for 8 hrs at work and have to commute 1 -1.5hrs each way, while your new section 8 neighbor stays at home, only to come home and notice homes being broken into during broad day light, graffiti, boys walking around with their pants off their azz, loud vulgar rap music being played super loud because this is the behaior they are used to and have now relocated it to your quite neighborhood.

Here is a better example: You pay extra for a 1st class ticket for peace and rest on a 8 hr flight, but the government says it isnt fair coach gets less room, so they give a $5 voucher and now your stuck next to a crying baby or some loudmouth person for the rest of your flight. Is it fair you paid $1000 for a ticket, but the other person paid $5 because someone thought they should be able to enjoy what you have as well because everyone was cramped in coach.

I know public housing projects were a massive failure, but if you want to live somewhere nice and peaceful you should pay exactly what the other people have to pay to live there, not have it given to you for peanuts, then still abuse it. Tear down the projects and make new ones and weed out the bad folks. Most of the people who stayed when there projects were rebuilt to something nicer are the folks who were not causing any problems to begin with.

I actually work in housing and had a hand in demolishing a few of the public housing communities here in Atlanta. The areas where new developments were created gave previous residents the opportunity to come back to the redeveloped communities once they were complete. Over 90 percent of those people returned to the city. I actually spoke of this in another thread.

The only anamoly that I can think of that contributed to vouchers being used in suburban areas are those housing communities that were not re-developed like Herndon, Bankhead, and Bowen, which come to mind. But the former residents are tracked due to receiving vouchers and most of them went to new development like Villages of Carver, Eastlake, or Castleberry, etc. and not as many used vouchers to go to the burbs. I actually feel that once the areas around the former project communities were redeveloped that many in the area were priced out, which could especially be the case at Eastlake or Castleberry as rents around those areas increased but on the whole, most of the residents stayed in Atlanta proper.

And I also find it odd that people who chose to buy farther out are complaining that they now have to deal with basically "those people." City of Atlanta residents have had to deal with them for generations and I don't really feel any sympathy for suburbanites in regards to their plights in this regard. Move back to the city is my advice or tell your neighbor not to accept a Section 8 voucher. You act like your former suburban neighbors aren't the ones benefitting the most from this set up. They get guaranteed rent from those Section 8 tenants and if those tenants are doing illegal activities or being a nuisance, as someone who works in housing, I implore you to report them. They will shape up because if they lose the voucher, they will never get the chance to get another one. And there are strict guidelines for Section 8 tenants it is just that people with complaints such as yours do not make those complaints to the housing authority and get the land lord and tenant the attention they deserve.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,848,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly I think that the FBI data is pretty misleading due to the post below:

Atlanta's murder rate is actually comparable to Chicago, if not worse due to the large population of Chicago and like the poster above mentioned, they have nearly 3 million people in the city itself so statistically 500 murders is pretty low in a city with a population of that size.

My husband is from Chicago and he has friends who had people murdered in their family in the 70s and 80s. A couple of his cousins were murdered in the late 70s/early 80s during the heroine epidemic. The neighborhood where most of his family lives now is much better than it used to be.

Just like Atlanta, Chicago has pockets of areas where crime is committed. The whole city is not some sort of hell hole and too much is made IMO of the murders there especially since they are pretty low compared to what they were in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.

I actually work in housing and had a hand in demolishing a few of the public housing communities here in Atlanta. The areas where new developments were created gave previous residents the opportunity to come back to the redeveloped communities once they were complete. Over 90 percent of those people returned to the city. I actually spoke of this in another thread.

The only anamoly that I can think of that contributed to vouchers being used in suburban areas are those housing communities that were not re-developed like Herndon, Bankhead, and Bowen, which come to mind. But the former residents are tracked due to receiving vouchers and most of them went to new development like Villages of Carver, Eastlake, or Castleberry, etc. and not as many used vouchers to go to the burbs. I actually feel that once the areas around the former project communities were redeveloped that many in the area were priced out, which could especially be the case at Eastlake or Castleberry as rents around those areas increased but on the whole, most of the residents stayed in Atlanta proper.

And I also find it odd that people who chose to buy farther out are complaining that they now have to deal with basically "those people." City of Atlanta residents have had to deal with them for generations and I don't really feel any sympathy for suburbanites in regards to their plights in this regard. Move back to the city is my advice or tell your neighbor not to accept a Section 8 voucher. You act like your former suburban neighbors aren't the ones benefitting the most from this set up. They get guaranteed rent from those Section 8 tenants and if those tenants are doing illegal activities or being a nuisance, as someone who works in housing, I implore you to report them. They will shape up because if they lose the voucher, they will never get the chance to get another one. And there are strict guidelines for Section 8 tenants it is just that people with complaints such as yours do not make those complaints to the housing authority and get the land lord and tenant the attention they deserve.
Good post! I agree.Why should we live with rift raft.Just like wealthy and middle class people who move to the suburbs,so to can poor and those of them that are rift raft.

The notion that ghetto behavior should stay in the city is so crazy.No one complains about the city loosing people of means when they decide to live in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta