Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No, they had a let's-get-drunk-and-trash-the-park-and-disrespect-the-surrounding-neighborhoods festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It doesn't matter how respectful or disrespectful you are. If you have tens of thousands of people standing, walking, and dancing on wet grass all day long, it's going to tear it up.
But, it does matter a lot - MM generally results in damaged shrubs, park furniture, trash thrown in the lake, surrounding neighborhoods trashed, etc. Even 10,000 can be respectful and not perform intentionally disrespectful acts. Heck, last year I had to tow someone who parked on the grass in my yard! I wish they'd move MM to Lakewood. That would be a much more appropriate venue. Or Fort McPherson even.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Heck, last year I had to tow someone who parked on the grass in my yard! I wish they'd move MM to Lakewood. That would be a much more appropriate venue. Or Fort McPherson even.
That's not quite Midtown though...

Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
MM has to pay PP to use park for 2 days. The money MM pays PP includes money clean up the park/etc. They have no reason not to allow MM back. That's like asking if our airport will stop letting Delta fly from there because someone got into a fight on the airplane

Old 09-23-2013, 04:17 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
That was a stretch but you get the point lol

Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That's not quite Midtown though...
Exactly!

Old 09-23-2013, 05:26 PM

254 posts, read 369,796 times
If you're going to live in the middle of a metro of over 5 million on the largest park in the largest city in the metro you're going to have to deal with it. I live a block away from the park on Piedmont and it's to be expected with an event like this. I think it's a good thing that that many people were in and exposed to and enjoyed our neighborhood. The park doesn't even look as bad as I expected. Events like this are what makes the city alive.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I understand how annoying it is to have a bunch of people come in and disrespect your neighborhood. That's not cool. I didn't go to MM this year, but last year I was amazingly impressed by what a great job they did. I waited in line for all of 10 minutes, I always found a port-o-potty, and I was glad to see they let all kinds of local vendors serve food instead of the lame carnival style food commonplace at such events. I was also happy that vendors weren't gouging people, I think I paid like $5.95 for a Williams Bros. pulled pork sandwich, about what I would expect to pay in the restaurant.

It was a far cry from other events I've been to where they will charge $5 for a bottled water (MM had plenty of free water stations where you could refill your bottle) and they give exclusive food rights to a horrible vendor like Domino's who will charge $7 for a slice of cheese pizza. I was very happy to see MM do it right and not force any of this garbage on the fans who paid to attend. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't great this year, I wonder what they did last year that they failed to do this year.

On the same token, though, I have to also agree with gtjared. You can't just move to a neighborhood so you can be close to Piedmont Park and then think it's YOUR park. You moved close to it because it's a great city park, and events like this keep it great. Sure, it's annoying when events get huge and out of control and there are going to be some rough rides. But it's not like you didn't know what you were getting into moving there. Like I tell arjay, don't move next door to Southern Nights or Inserection and then complain to the county trying to get rid of them. You knew they were there when you moved in. Again, I'm not saying it's not annoying, but you have to have some perspective on it.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I understand how annoying it is to have a bunch of people come in and disrespect your neighborhood. That's not cool. I didn't go to MM this year, but last year I was amazingly impressed by what a great job they did. I waited in line for all of 10 minutes, I always found a port-o-potty, and I was glad to see they let all kinds of local vendors serve food instead of the lame carnival style food commonplace at such events. I was also happy that vendors weren't gouging people, I think I paid like $5.95 for a Williams Bros. pulled pork sandwich, about what I would expect to pay in the restaurant.

It was a far cry from other events I've been to where they will charge $5 for a bottled water (MM had plenty of free water stations where you could refill your bottle) and they give exclusive food rights to a horrible vendor like Domino's who will charge $7 for a slice of cheese pizza. I was very happy to see MM do it right and not force any of this garbage on the fans who paid to attend. I'm sorry to hear it wasn't great this year, I wonder what they did last year that they failed to do this year.

On the same token, though, I have to also agree with gtjared. You can't just move to a neighborhood so you can be close to Piedmont Park and then think it's YOUR park. You moved close to it because it's a great city park, and events like this keep it great. Sure, it's annoying when events get huge and out of control and there are going to be some rough rides. But it's not like you didn't know what you were getting into moving there. Like I tell arjay, don't move next door to Southern Nights or Inserection and then complain to the county trying to get rid of them. You knew they were there when you moved in. Again, I'm not saying it's not annoying, but you have to have some perspective on it.
I moved there 25 years ago when midtown really was not a happening place to be. The neighborhood was fairly quiet back then and the festivals in the area were a bit less rowdy. I know... Times change. But after serving on numerous neighborhood and local civic organization to make the area better, I just simply get frustrated with folks who take it for granted. That's all.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Got it. Piedmont Park was always the central park of Atlanta, but it certainly used to be much more low key than now.

I remember in 1996, one of my co-workers didn't have a car, and when we got off late, I would give him a ride home. He lived in those apartments (back when they were apartments) on 14th and Piedmont. It was fine, but it wasn't the center of the city totally desirable place that it is today. I remember thinking it was actually kind of dumpy and the park was generally deserted.

As little as 10 or 12 years ago, Backstreet, which was exactly where Viewpoint is today, wasn't considered to be in a very safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta