Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
A few weeks back we was eating on the patio at Barcelona in Inman Park on a Saturday afternoon, a group of 2 couples were seated on the table next to us...they had been to the braves game that afternoon.

After studying the mainly tapas menu one of the girls asked the waitress if she could get them 'something American as we don't like foreign foods'.

The waitress politely mentioned to them that they were in a Mediterranean style tapas bar.

"Well you must sell tacos or nachos?"

"Ma'am, tacos and nachos are both Mexican and not American" replies the waitress.

BOOM!
Blonde with big breasts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindecatur View Post
blonde with big breasts?
where????

Old 10-18-2013, 09:32 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I've found that folks in other countries actually appreciate it when you attempt to speak their native language, even if you mess it up. Shows some respect.
Knowing Hello, Thank You, and Goodbye goes a long way.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Both are fine.

I don't want to go off on a tangent here, but it seems to me that in a lot of ways, we are entering a "this or that" society.

I mean, just look at this board. Chain or chef? Suburb or in town? We get asked a lot of either or styled questions often forgetting to realize that very little in life is a zero sum game.

The answer is almost always in the middle. For example, this question. As has been stated, both serve individual purposes. Only a fool would say one is always better than the other because you have some chef driven restaurants that are actually pretty terrible and then you have some chains, like Houstons, that are often better than a chef restaurant. I've taken to pretty much refusing to eat anywhere until I've checked the Yelp reviews. I'm not going to step into a complete unknown just because it looks a certain way.

I really like both types of restaurants. Just like I really like the suburbs and intown neighborhoods. I wouldn't judge anybody for choosing one over the other so long as they acknowledged what is good and bad about both before diving into a decision.

It reminds me of the kids I knew in college who liked REM or Nirvana, but then refused to listen to them anymore once they gained traction and sold some records. The fact that other people like the music now as well doesn't change what it is and shouldn't influence whether you like it. I like underground stuff you've never heard of as well as crap that you hear all over pop radio.
Not to mention the fact, all these people who only eat in "chef-driven" (???) restaurants must have a LOT more disposable income to throw around than the rest of us. Some of the arrogant comments about those "embarrassing" American tourists in Paris suggest this is really a discussion about class, and not food.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:40 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
where????
Bahahaha! Nicely done!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yes "van" as in "vin".

I think the exact quote was "we would like to order some van."
LOL!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 AM

687 posts, read 745,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Blonde with big breasts?
Sadly not....in fact I think she had more ears than teeth.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Not to mention the fact, all these people who only eat in "chef-driven" (???) restaurants must have a LOT more disposable income to throw around than the rest of us. Some of the arrogant comments about those "embarrassing" American tourists in Paris suggest this is really a discussion about class, and not food.
It's about being knowledgeable about local culture and making an effort to learn the language before going to other countries. It's arrogant of Americans to go to other countries and demand or expect people to speak English in their own countries.

It's not about class. Heck, I grew up working class, yet I studied French in school and know enough about the French culture to know that I should try to speak some French properly when going there. I know to go into a restaurant in France and say, "Je voudrais, une bouteille de vin, s'il vous plait," and not say, "Can I have some van," and I'm not upper class. Sheesh! LOL!

It's about being cultured and not everyone who has money is cultured.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Some of the arrogant comments about those "embarrassing" American tourists in Paris suggest this is really a discussion about class, and not food.
Exactly!

And you know, I'm not a huge international traveler, but I know someone who is. I mean, this guy has been EVERYWHERE. He's not afraid to camp in a tent in the Sahara or ride a train through Siberia.

I remember years ago asking him about his trip to Luxor, and he told me that he ended up eating at American fast food restaurants way more than he wanted to because they were so available. He said that one of the best views of the pyramids, or maybe the sphinx, I can't quite remember, is from a Pizza Hut!

I think familiarity can be a good thing sometimes. Even though I'm not a world traveler, I do remember going to New Orleans years ago and after a few days just wanting a McDonalds or something because if I had one more muffaleta, jambalaya, or bowl of gumbo, I was going to go nuts. Yeah, that stuff is great, but sometimes the familiar is what you really crave.

I understand the derision toward chains because I can't remember the last time I visited an Applebees or Chili's. But that doesn't make them evil, bad, or me better than people who do go there. I like to keep my feet firmly planted, and I didn't step into a $60,000 job right out of college. I remember when a Saturday night dinner at a place like Chili's was considered going out to a nice restaurant!

I don't really know what else to say, except variety is the spice of life, and yes, even chains make up the variety of the landscape. Can anyone honestly say they haven't just craved salad and breadsticks at Olive Garden or a blooming onion at Outback and would have taken one of those over dinner at a celebrity chef restaurant?

Maybe it's because at heart, I'm a rebel, and nowadays it seems like the more rebellious thing to do is go to a chain because it pisses off all the pretentious douchebags so much.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 AM

41 posts, read 72,201 times
I'm the first to admit I'm a complete food snob, and even I understand the point of an Applebees or Chilis. 99 times out of 100, I choose the small local place, but sometimes, it's late, you're travelling for business, and you just want somethign familiar without having to figure out what or why. Didn't stop me from researching all of the restaurants in Roswell before deciding to move there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta