Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times

Advertisements

GAC and Mt. Vernon are on (in my opinion) very different academic plains. While I can't speak to your goals, I suspect that a challenging academic environment is one of them, given your description of your children. Mt. Vernon is doing some really cool things with their curriculum, but it is a very small school as you approach the high school.

For our family, spending the money for tuition was justified by meeting a child's specific needs. We didn't do private for the sake so simply doing private, does that make sense. If our child wasn't admitted to the school(s) we felt made the most sense, we would have passed.

I think it is important to be genuine when you fill out the application. Don't try to hard to figure out what the admissions person is looking for and be honest in your responses. One piece of advice is that if a "why X school" question is hard to answer, it may be that the school isn't really the right one for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
GAC and Mt. Vernon are on (in my opinion) very different academic plains. While I can't speak to your goals, I suspect that a challenging academic environment is one of them, given your description of your children. Mt. Vernon is doing some really cool things with their curriculum, but it is a very small school as you approach the high school.

For our family, spending the money for tuition was justified by meeting a child's specific needs. We didn't do private for the sake so simply doing private, does that make sense. If our child wasn't admitted to the school(s) we felt made the most sense, we would have passed.

I think it is important to be genuine when you fill out the application. Don't try to hard to figure out what the admissions person is looking for and be honest in your responses. One piece of advice is that if a "why X school" question is hard to answer, it may be that the school isn't really the right one for your family.
Sage advice as always, lastminutemom.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,306 times
Hi, I work in Admissions and I'd encourage you to give the Admissions Office at Westminster a call to discuss this. I'm happy to help share the "why" of the SQ, which might help you decide what to share. And yes, it's okay to include the resume. MM

Old 11-14-2013, 09:55 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Yes, GAC is an interesting one to be on your list, if you're not enthusiastic about the theology. Most people I know who send their children there do so because they want a Christian school, first and foremost. It seems like Wesleyan might be a closer fit. Maybe stronger academics, also in Norcross, and although more than nominally Christian, I don't see it as quite as religiously oriented as GAC. And nothing against, GAC, I'm a Christian myself, just trying to find a fit for your family.

In addition, the schools you've chosen are very spread out geographically. Are you thinking of moving close to whichever school you end up with or just making the drive?

Looking at your list, I'd add Holy Innocents, not far from Mt. Vernon. And I second what Lastminutemom says about Mt. Vernon. There are lots of out-of-the-box learning opportunities going on at Mt. Vernon (things your children would be interested in based on the accomplishments you listed).

And I'd add Pace Academy, close to Westminster, and would offer the diversity and learning opportunities you are looking for, and not religiously affiliated.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:57 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Yes, GAC is an interesting one to be on your list, if you're not enthusiastic about the theology. Most people I know who send their children there do so because they want a Christian school, first and foremost. It seems like Wesleyan might be a closer fit. Maybe stronger academics, also in Norcross, and although more than nominally Christian, I don't see it as quite as religiously oriented as GAC. And nothing against, GAC, I'm a Christian myself, just trying to find a fit for your family.

In addition, the schools you've chosen are very spread out geographically. Are you thinking of moving close to whichever school you end up with or just making the drive?

Looking at your list, I'd add Holy Innocents, not far from Mt. Vernon. And I second what Lastminutemom says about Mt. Vernon. There are lots of out-of-the-box learning opportunities going on at Mt. Vernon (things your children would be interested in based on the accomplishments you listed).

And I'd add Pace Academy, close to Westminster, and would offer the diversity and learning opportunities you are looking for, and not religiously affiliated.
Another vote to look at Wesleyan. The headmaster there is retiring this year, but he was the assistant headmaster at Westminster before coming to Wesleyan, and in 18 years, created one of the top schools in the area with great (paid for!) facilities, excellent academics and strong extra curriculars in sports and the arts. Yes, it is a Christian school, too -- chapel on Friday's, etc. -- but if you're looking at GAC and Mt. Vernon, it's definitely worth a look. The incoming headmaster has been at Wesleyan for years -- the transition has been well-planned and won't be disruptive.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Re: Wesleyan, it, too, has become more religious in recent years. If you don't consider yourself an evangelical Christian, you may feel uncomfortable. We attended the Open House, and, although the facility is amazing and the academics/athletics are stellar, it was too much for us. They were quite open about their desire to "convert" (not quite the right word, but you get my meaning) any non-Christian or non-evangelical students who attend the school. I would say that GAC is more religious, but Wesleyan is not too far behind. Their motto is "JOY," which stands for "Jesus, Others, Yourself." That may not be a problem for you, but I just thought you should know.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 AM

403 posts, read 619,930 times
OP, I presume you live in Alpharetta. Don't underestimate the commute if you're not planning to move. We are at one of the Buckhead schools on your list and I can tell you that nearly all of the social activites and extras that are an important part of the experience take place in and around Buckhead. Most familes and thus your children's friends will live fairly near the school - not like a neighborhood elementry school, but within a 10 mile radius. If your kids are to get the most out of the experience you will spend a lot of time in the car...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Well said, Pete. Sadly, I find myself avoiding playdates with the kids who live really far away. I just can't justify putting my child in the car for two hours for a playdate when there are children around the corner. I feel like those kids are a bit left out. Not terribly so, but I imagine middle school would be difficult for a child who couldn't pop back over to the basketball game on Friday afternoon or the musical production that night.

If you are planning on staying in Alpharetta and using a Buckhead private, make sure to drive the morning drive on a school day at the time you will be commuting. Alpharetta to Lovett will take you 30 minutes, no traffic. With traffic, an hour? And for Woodward, even if using the bus, that's going to mean over two hours a day in transportation time.

I don't know how long it would take to get to the Norcross and Sandy Springs schools for you. I'd time those also.

In the Atlanta metro, living near your children's school(s) is even more important than living near work, because you will be driving to/from school x2 a day--sometimes more. I suppose if you are working in Buckhead, and plan on staying in town while the children are in school, that could make sense. . .

Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
While not affiliated with a specific religion, their website does say the following:

"Pace Academy was founded in 1958 by an interfaith group of community leaders. Although we are not affiliated with a specific church or religion, we adhere to Judeo-Christian values and place a major emphasis on character development."

No criticism from this poster! I'm just pointing out that it is not religious-free (like public schools). But, you're right, it does not have a religiously-focused curriculum.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

59 posts, read 99,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Try very hard not to squash any answers that you are afraid won't make your child look like a combination of Einstein, DaVinci, Gandhi and Miss America, who just wants world peace.

I'm sorry but that line just tickled me silly! Okay, imma stop laughing...carry on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta