Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:02 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,048,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I guess it depends on how you define "history." Atlanta certainly has a history in the sense that it's existed for a century and change, but that's not enough to pique most people's interest. I assume what they mean is that it has no history they care about, which is a valid point... outside of the Olympics I can't think of anything significant happening here that wasn't also happening everywhere else at the time. It's always just been another cog in the machine... big, yes, but otherwise no different than the rest.
Not sure if I completely agree with that. I mean what can most people tell you about Savannah when it comes to history? It's obviously historic but it wasn't really known for anything significant in the national consciousness. The most some folks might be able to come up with is Sherman's March to the Sea, and even then, nothing really "happened" since the city was spared destruction. Atlanta's role in Sherman's campaign is actually more significant since it was torched.

I think the main issue here is that 1) Atlanta doesn't have a very extensive historic urban fabric relative to the size of the city/metro compared to that of a couple other sizable cities and 2) the most historic parts of Atlanta's urban core aren't the most active and don't attract the most tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Indeed. I wouldn't even use "wretched" to describe Birmingham, Memphis, Detroit or New Orleans -- all cities that have much uglier pasts than Atlanta for sure. And of course, Atlanta is heads and tails above all those cities.
Very true. I was going to say that perhaps Birmingham deserves the "wretched" description relative to its history, but even then, it has to be realized that although Birmingham is a young city having been founded after the Civil War, the Civil Rights era doesn't constitute the entirety of the city's history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 04:19 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,754,685 times
I was born and raised in Atlanta, I know it's history. But everyone I meet says that Atlanta is all new and has no real history. They also say this about around Atlanta. I just want to know why people can't see Atlanta has history.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,114,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I guess it depends on how you define "history." Atlanta certainly has a history in the sense that it's existed for a century and change, but that's not enough to pique most people's interest. I assume what they mean is that it has no history they care about, which is a valid point... outside of the Olympics I can't think of anything significant happening here that wasn't also happening everywhere else at the time. It's always just been another cog in the machine... big, yes, but otherwise no different than the rest.
That's not true several significant events happen Atlanta.

1. The fall of Atlanta during the civil war was essential to the union winning. Regardless of size Atlanta was considered the Confederacy's second-most important city. Atlanta was home to second busiest mill in the south and was extreme logistic importance.

And Also Lincoln was up for re election in the middle of the war, while the war was unpopular. George B. McClellan ran as the peace candidate he would had ended the war by giving into the south demands. Lincoln won re election because of the fall of Atlanta.

United States presidential election, 1864 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Atlanta civil right history. Atlanta was basically the command center of the civil right Civil Rights Movement. A lot of the major civil right organization was headquartered in Atlanta which blue printed the marches and boycotts throughout the south.

Southern Christian Leadership Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Regional Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Student Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Atlanta Student Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also Atlanta is the only US city that Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. Du Bois and Marcus Garvey the biggest civil right leaders of the turn of the 20 century associated with.
Booker T. Washington
Atlanta compromise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

W.E.B. Du Bois taught at Atlanta university his famous "The Souls of Black Folk" was written in Atlanta

Atlanta Conference of Negro Problems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

V. Of the Wings of Atalanta. Du Bois, W. E. B. 1903. The Souls of Black Folk

Du Bois’s “Litany of Atlanta”: Poetry as Rhetorical Agency

Marcus Garvey association with Atlanta is weird. He came originally to meet the klan. But later on he was imprisoned in Atlanta. And wrote his "First Message to the Negroes of the World From Atlanta" speech.

3. Atlanta is the cradle of the New South that gave birth to the ideal. People Acknowledge the industrial history of the midwestern cities but don't think "historic industrial" with Atlanta. Even though that what Atlanta history is. Atlanta was the dominant logistical and industrial city of the South.

Marietta Street Artery Association

By 1910 only New Orleans and Louisville were larger cities in the South. Both of which are old south cities. Atlanta again was leading and pushing the ideal of the new south.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,909,983 times
A lot of people are transients and just here for a job transfer or better climate, spend a few years and leave without asking or learning about it

Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM

23,491 posts, read 44,156,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Still, even the bad stuff in Atlanta's history is pretty mild compared to many other sizable cities. I have a hard time using the word "wretched" to describe the overall theme of Atlanta's history.
Next Thursday celebrates the 150th Anniversary of being burned down and our railway being pulled up by Yankees. I would call that wretched by even the broadest definition.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
3. Atlanta is the cradle of the New South that gave birth to the ideal. People Acknowledge the industrial history of the midwestern cities but don't think "historic industrial" with Atlanta. Even though that what Atlanta history is. Atlanta was the dominant logistical and industrial city of the South.
That is huge, and probably shaped Atlanta more than any other single factor.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 PM

12,978 posts, read 9,681,281 times
how can you not think of Atlanta and the old south, Sherman march through and the burning of Atlanta, Margaret Mitchell house, Coca-Cola been around since 1886 , the king center, the state capitol building, just to name a few. i'm sure there are lots of history in and around atlanta .

Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Still, even the bad stuff in Atlanta's history is pretty mild compared to many other sizable cities. I have a hard time using the word "wretched" to describe the overall theme of Atlanta's history.
I think you can say that as so much is wrapped up in slavery, the Confederacy, and segregation. It's not as bad as Germany confronting its past of Nazism but a similar uncomfortable problem. Even for the Olympics opening ceremony, they were struggling with how to present a montage of Georgia history tastefully but not sugarcoating it. Don't think so? Try flying the Confederate Stars and Bars. And didn't we discuss the removing of the carvings on Stone Mountain?

It's like we want to hit the history "reset button" for 1973 because it's like walking a minefield the further you go back. You really have to be careful about talking about anyone from long ago as s/he may have held unacceptable views by today's standards. Can't even quote a founding father's views because he might have held slaves. So much shame is attached to Atlanta's past that it's easier just to ignore it.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:52 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,954,071 times
ALL places have history. To try and argue otherwise is just stupid.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,114,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I think you can say that as so much is wrapped up in slavery, the Confederacy, and segregation. It's not as bad as Germany confronting its past of Nazism but a similar uncomfortable problem. Even for the Olympics opening ceremony, they were struggling with how to present a montage of Georgia history tastefully but not sugarcoating it. Don't think so? Try flying the Confederate Stars and Bars. And didn't we discuss the removing of the carvings on Stone Mountain?

It's like we want to hit the history "reset button" for 1973 because it's like walking a minefield the further you go back. You really have to be careful about talking about anyone from long ago as s/he may have held unacceptable views by today's standards. Can't even quote a founding father's views because he might have held slaves. So much shame is attached to Atlanta's past that it's easier just to ignore it.
This is all suggesting that slavery and segregation is everything to Atlanta and southern history. As if blacks and whites in the south did not do anything else but fight.

Let's forget the Music, food, art, literature, academics, culture, events, architecture, industry, and etc history among black and white southerners. As a black American it's insulting it's like saying blacks didn't do anything but be victims. No we shouldn't ignore southern or Atlanta history and it's not sugarcoating anything. A lot more happened in the South than just slavery and segregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta