Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,015,289 times

Advertisements

It sure doesn't take much for you folks to start arguing over.............NOTHING SIGNIFICANT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
It's not red or blue. It's just simple economics. Jobs move to wherever it is cheaper to house the company. In many of these areas the city is still growing, thus more land is available to the companies. In places like the north, it is still very expensive to rent or buy a piece of land. This brings in more people and the prosperity commences from there.
What is a big portion of making something cheap or expensive? Taxes and regulations. That is a red or blue thing.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Which Cities Americans Are Moving to

Cut from Article:

Today's nightmare cities, Barone says, are mostly familiar ones: Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and other former factory towns that no longer have enough jobs to support a shrinking population.

The new dream cities
tend to be ones in which low taxes and low housing costs are fostering population growth and prosperity: Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Nashville, Atlanta and several “mini Atlantas” including Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and Jacksonville.
This sounds like something out of the 90's. This is nothing new and in some ways, this is outdated information.

Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham I can see, but I don't get the description of Jacksonville as a "mini-Atlanta." I guess the only qualifiers are above-average population growth, being north of 1 million in metro population, and being located in the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
What is a big portion of making something cheap or expensive? Taxes and regulations. That is a red or blue thing.
Supply and demand plays the most primary role and that isn't a red or blue thing per se; it is more of an artifact of historic development patterns.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
i think this guy is WAY overestimating how many people are moving to atlanta for the "congeniality". just based on personal experience, it makes me question whether he's ever been to atlanta as we're really not that much more "congenial" than other cities along the east coast. i don't think people are flocking here to make friends— what i see on this forum and elsewhere is JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.

the fact of the matter is that cities like detroit and cleveland failed to replace their dwindling manufacturing jobs with new information and tech oriented jobs, but cities like atlanta were able to attract the business. at this point i don't think it's taxes or cost of living (outside of super expensive places like NYC and southern california), i think it's people following their jobs and going where the work is, and increasingly that's in places like atlanta. it's a nice thought to think of people moving here by the millions because they think we're nice people, but considering 90% of the metro area is composed of people *not* from atlanta, i don't think that's a realistic assumption to make.

by the way, i'm a democrat and i think tax incentives are a good idea, it pays off in the end from the money added to the economy— you end up getting the same amount of tax money (or greater) because of the investment you made, it's the same with education. it's not wasting money if it's adding to the economy 10x what you put down in the first place.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostar View Post
Well, correct me if I'm wrong but the most educated part of this nation is the place where jobs are leaving the quickest (the northeast)
i don't believe that's correct. people are moving out of the midwest— states like michigan, ohio, west virginia. the northeast generally has a stable growth rate.

as for red vs. blue states, states that have been controlled by republicans such as missouri, west virginia, and ohio aren't looking as good as "blue" states like massachusetts, minnesota, california, and oregon. that being said, there are examples of the opposite as well. my point is that it doesn't seem to matter whether the state is red or blue, it's more the history of the state and the region in which it's located.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 AM

194 posts, read 317,265 times
RUST belt migration...I believe its a combination of several things: Education, weather, transportation, weather, taxes, weather, regulations, weather, home prices, weather, cost of living, and weather.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:37 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
it's factual that these places in the south are becoming more diverse and purple. So I not following this dude.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM

1,697 posts, read 2,248,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo radley View Post
Red state cities rather than blue state cities...hmmm lol
Ever notice that there aren't any real red cities? Or that Georgia is on track to be blue in the next decade? Once we take over it and Texas it'll be smooth sailing!

Old 11-12-2013, 07:25 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Atlanta's low cost of living and doing business is a huge aspect of what put us on the map. For companies seeking to cut costs and build facilities near their employees, our beautiful suburbs are mighty attractive.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 AM

329 posts, read 431,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Which Cities Americans Are Moving to

Cut from Article:

Today's nightmare cities, Barone says, are mostly familiar ones: Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and other former factory towns that no longer have enough jobs to support a shrinking population.

The new dream cities tend to be ones in which low taxes and low housing costs are fostering population growth and prosperity: Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Nashville, Atlanta and several “mini Atlantas” including Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham and Jacksonville.
It has more to do with the weather than factory cities. Birmingham Alabama also has grown in population despite the fact it is a very heavy industrial city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta