Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times

Advertisements

List of Braves' terms for lease renewal and development of area around Turner Field:

Exclusive: Documents reveal Braves wish list for Turner Field
(AJC)

The biggest issue seemed to be getting AFCRA out of the picture as middle man.

Notable:

• No fast food restaurants other than one (1) coffee shop (e.g. Dunkin’ Donuts, Starbucks).
• No third party retail may sell Braves merchandise or tickets within the development.
• Limit to two (2) sports bars and two (2) fine dining restaurants within the development and must be on the northern part of the development a minimum of 1,600 feet from front gates of Turner Field.
• Development must include deck parking to accommodate 8,600 cars for use during all games by ANLBC.
• Development must include additional transit options (maglev, light rail, bus, trolley, etc.) and ingress and egress improvements.
• Capital Improvements listed in Exhibit C to be made to Turner Field in 3 phases – 2016, 2017 and 2018. (Exhibit C not included)
• ANLBC to fund $50M of improvements, AFCRA to fund $50M and City/County to fund other $50M over the 3-year period (2016 – 2018).
• Capital Improvements going forward after 2018 to be funded 50/50 by ANLBC and AFCRA/City/County until such time as development is generating annual minimums set forth above ($10,000,000) after which time ANLBC will assume 100% of Capital Improvement funding obligation.

Phase One
• 250 Apartment Homes
• 175 Hotel Rooms
• 25 Condo and Townhome Units
• 10,000 feet of retail square footage
• 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage

Phase Two
• 250 Apartment Homes
• 200 Hotel Rooms
• 25 Condo and Townhome Units
• 10,000 feet of retail square footage
• 75,000 Office space square footage
• 50,000 feet of restaurant/entertainment square footage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Geez, the Braves sure are a demanding tenant. I'm starting to see what Reed was up against.

Only two sports bars and two fine dining restaurants? What a joke. So much for the idea of creating a bustling district where fans would want to hang out before and after games.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:03 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,218,082 times
Exactly. Not sure how 5 eateries is much of a year-round destination. The Braves want a very sanitized fan experience, aka bringing the 'burbs to downtown.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:06 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Well, after seeing that, I'm glad they are leaving Summerhill. I was looking forward to the stadium being there, and those parking lots developed into a lively district - multiple bars, restaurants, shops, apartments, etc with the hidden parking requirements for the games. 2 bars, and 2 restaurants? That's ridiculous, and I'm glad that wasn't imposed on Summerhill. I don't see how 2 bars and 2 restaurants in the middle of a parking lot with only 250 apartments around them will stay in business for the days of the year the Braves aren't playing. Do you think people will go? I don't know that area well enough to make that determination - in Summerhill, it probably wouldn't happen. The need for a full district with lots to do would draw people into the area to hang out, but not just a couple of restaurants.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanarkand A East View Post
Not sure how 5 eateries is much of a year-round destination. The Braves want a very sanitized fan experience
Yes. I am really interested to see what the final layout will be for the new "Atlanta" Braves stadium. It sounds like it is going to be a mini amusement park.

These demands released here, while sanitized, would have been a much better experience that present. I would have been pretty excited about that had they stayed where they should have.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
These demands released here, while sanitized, would have been a much better experience that present. I would have been pretty excited about that had they stayed where they should have.
While I agree with you that anything over there would have been exciting, I don't think it would have been sustainable on off-game days. There was that BBQ place with the awesome rooftop that failed because they said there was not enough business on non-game days, remember? That's why I think Summerhill needed to be turned into a full restaurant/bar district with many apartments to draw people there more often and frequent the businesses, like Atlantic Station. One or two places just doesn't work in that area.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I don't know why the City of Atlanta and the Braves couldn't get it together and make something happen in the area around the stadium after decades of issues. I look at the Washington Nationals as just one example of what happens when things go right. There is tons of development springing up around, and because of, the stadium. It's roughly the same distance as Turner Field is from major employers. Wouldn't the city prefer a mid-rise development with some residences and retail over parking lots?

I am very disappointed in the Braves for turning their backs on tradition and a little upset that the City will be tearing the stadium down after they move(they really have no other option). But I won't hesitate to call city leadership lazy and unimaginative for letting it come to this either. A lot of very poor decisions have been made in the last few years regarding Atlanta sports. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM

329 posts, read 431,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
Geez, the Braves sure are a demanding tenant. I'm starting to see what Reed was up against.

Only two sports bars and two fine dining restaurants? What a joke. So much for the idea of creating a bustling district where fans would want to hang out before and after games.
Funny thing is that I have not heard of like demands made of Cobb.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Well, after seeing that, I'm glad they are leaving Summerhill. I was looking forward to the stadium being there, and those parking lots developed into a lively district - multiple bars, restaurants, shops, apartments, etc with the hidden parking requirements for the games. 2 bars, and 2 restaurants? That's ridiculous, and I'm glad that wasn't imposed on Summerhill. I don't see how 2 bars and 2 restaurants in the middle of a parking lot with only 250 apartments around them will stay in business for the days of the year the Braves aren't playing. Do you think people will go? I don't know that area well enough to make that determination - in Summerhill, it probably wouldn't happen. The need for a full district with lots to do would draw people into the area to hang out, but not just a couple of restaurants.
2 bars and 2 restaurants??? It is pretty obvious - the Braves want the fans to eat and drink inside of the stadium so as not take revenue from their catcher's mitt...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
While I agree with you that anything over there would have been exciting, I don't think it would have been sustainable on off-game days. There was that BBQ place with the awesome rooftop that failed because they said there was not enough business on non-game days, remember? That's why I think Summerhill needed to be turned into a full restaurant/bar district with many apartments to draw people there more often and frequent the businesses, like Atlantic Station. One or two places just doesn't work in that area.
I agree - off game days would have been less than good in that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta