Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if there was a thread on this topic, but I remember reading this article the other day. It is about how there is very limited retail and entertainment in the area around Turner Field. There is a large parking lot area that could be transformed into something.

Fans, residents hope for a new ballgame around Turner Field *| ajc.com

You know what I'm thinking? They should build another Atlantic Station type of development around there. They should even build a mini-amusement park with a roller coaster and a few other rides, in addition to the retail and dining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:26 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,571,048 times
I was at the Braves-Rockies series and some of my friends said the same thing. They were women so I figured they were being girly.....but now that I think about it. The ballpark is isolated a bit.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
They should even build a mini-amusement park with a roller coaster and a few other rides, in addition to the retail and dining.
This was attempted by the city some years ago. It failed, largely due to the fact that people tended not to stick around after the games.
It was regarded by the citizens as yet another expensive boondoggle not to mention being an enterprise that the city had no business taking on in the first place.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:43 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
I think condos and apartments would work. Once more people live around there, the retail and entertainment will follow. There are many ballparks in other cities surrounded by residential (San Diego and Baltimore for example). Of course, the economy will have to turn around first before any developer will begin building anything.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
There are condos and apartments near by already. I agree it would be great if some shops, restaurants etc opened there. Its too bad as its so close to downtown yet nothing there outside the stadium. Even just a small thing like putting two or three places on a block would be nice.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:18 PM

823 posts, read 2,216,343 times
Not having the train go there stunts its development. The stadiums in Baltimore and to a lesser extent SD are transit hubs. It also hurts Braves attendance to an extent.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:24 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Most people blame MARTA for not having a train station at Turner Field but nobody stops to question why they didn't build the field closer to a train station in the first place? And most of the people who complain about MARTA not having a station would probably vote not to fund it anyways (Gwinnett, Cobb, Clayton, the state of Georgia, etc).

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM

255 posts, read 464,319 times
Are you guys kidding?

Who would walk the streets around Turner Field without a squad of SEALS to protect them?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I think condos and apartments would work. Once more people live around there, the retail and entertainment will follow. There are many ballparks in other cities surrounded by residential (San Diego and Baltimore for example). Of course, the economy will have to turn around first before any developer will begin building anything.
That makes a lot of sense. (Like Wrigley field). I am curious, as to why they don't build more venues, businesses and residences that people will actually move to, in that area. (I know, now is not the best time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Not having the train go there stunts its development. The stadiums in Baltimore and to a lesser extent SD are transit hubs. It also hurts Braves attendance to an extent.
Very true. Another issue that needs to be tackled. Yankee stadium (prime example). Skip and a hop away.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
The sad thing is, there USED to be vibrant neighborhoods all around this area pre-Freeway and original Fulton County Stadium construction/wholesale land clearance.

The 60's were not very kind to the edges of Central Atlanta (or countless other cities, sadly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta