Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 21,383 times

Advertisements

We are going down to Atlanta to see the Cubs play the Braves. It's not until August, but I want to be prepared. Since it's a night game, we'll need to spend the night and I am not familiar with Atlanta at all. Can anyone suggest a close hotel that is in a good part of town? We would prefer to be able to walk to Turner Field (or maybe take a shuttle from a hotel?) because i'm sure parking will be insane. We will have two young kids (both under age 5) with us, so we need to consider that too. I've heard there is a Comfort Inn right near the stadium but I am leary about staying there after reading comments online. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 02:18 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
There is a hotel right next door to Turner Field but you don't want to stay there. Other than when there is a game on that is not a part of town you want to be in. There is a MARTA (local transit) shuttle but with two kids under 5 my advice would be to suck it up and drive. As for hotels, Midtown and Buckhead tend to be to neighborhoods people suggest and with good reason. They are convenient to what pass for tourist attractions and are nice neighborhoods. For specific Hotels check out tripadvisor.com. They also have a very good Atlanta forum where they answer questions like this all day.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The area around Turner field isn't really someplace I'd want to be walking to after a game, so you may want to consider getting a place downtown. You'll most likely have to arrange your own transportation to/from the game, but it's honestly your best bet.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
I do this all the time from work. I work on the corner of Intl. Blvd and Peach Tree St. You should get a hotel around that area. This is also close to the park, GA Aquarium, and Coke.

There's a Hilton, Days, Holiday, Sheraton, etc. all within a block or two of Marta Stop N1 (PeachTree Center).

I usually take Marta rail one stop South to 5 points, one stop East to Ga State, then walk. However, you can get a free transfer at the 5 points station to a Marta bus and dropped off at the entrance to the stadium. This is probably easiest with kids and it what alot of people do, completely safe to and from stadium.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:39 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,678 times
Be careful walking around that area at night! There are some very unsavory characters hanging around, and I might be hesitant to walk around with little ones. JMHO.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
There's plenty of parking at Turner Field. We've driven down from No. Fulton plenty of times.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 21,383 times
I looked into parking near Turner Field and there are a quite a few lots, but it seems that we would then have to walk to the parking lot and my primary concern is doing so at 10 or 11pm at night. If it's unsafe to walk across the street to a hotel it would be just as unsafe to walk a few extra blocks to parking, wouldn't it?

Maybe I'm making too much of this

Let's say we stay elsewhere (i.e downtown or in Buckhead) and take the Marta and then the shuttle that goes right to Turner Field. When we take the Marta back to our hotel, how busy will it be at that time of night? How safe is it? My kids have been on a train before when we've visited DC (we were on it during the day) and they were fine with it and actually enjoyed riding it!

I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thank you so much!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
After the game there will be 30,000 other people walking with you. Safety in numbers and all that. Its not that the area near Turner Field is really dangerous it just isn't a touristy area. There is nothing going on there. To get anywhere, aquarium, Coke museum, etc you will be driving. There is regular MARTA bus service to that area but it is spotty.

As for MARTA the same rules of numbers apply. Those shuttles are packed after the game and almost everyone jumps on a train once it gets back to Five Points. I would never worry about taking a MARTA train. There is always a cop I believe in the first car if you are really concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta