Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 AM

550 posts, read 989,085 times

Advertisements

I would be prepared that the overall atmosphere in East Cobb does tend to be quite conservative. But in my actual experience of living here and not being conservative, it hasn't been a big issue, as again, there are lots of transplants from all over the country and the world with diverse political and religious views. I choose not to discuss politics with my neighbors and it has been fine. When it isn't rush hour you can quickly be in the city if you want a different feel. Fall and spring are gorgeous here, and if you like to do outdoor stuff you can be on a trail in the Chatahoochee National Forest 15 minutes after leaving your home. Overall, I think it is a great place to live and raise kids. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM

16 posts, read 26,251 times
Thank you very much for the lengthy and well thought out feedback. I really appreciate it!!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM

66 posts, read 104,922 times
This is all good information regarding Atlanta, but I must also add, crime in Atlanta is high. No, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't live here, but probably compared to San Diego, it will be an eye opener. East Cobb is known to be a good area. Best wishes with your decision.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:25 PM

550 posts, read 989,085 times
Crime really plays no role in the OP's situation.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,252 times
Private message me. I moved my kids and I here from San Diego in Feb 2013. Happy to share my thoughts...

Old 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 5,188 times
East Cobb is a nice area with a lot of convenient shopping. I live in Sandy Springs which is a neighbor to East Cobb. My dtr takes swim classes at the Atlanta Swim Club.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,164 times
Based on your criteria, I'd look at Vinings instead. It's more progressive, has more of a sense of place and community, and has more things to do around it.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 PM

341 posts, read 708,347 times
Don't do it!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 AM

125 posts, read 232,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diananhancock View Post
Hi All,

I am a married, 42 year old female with a 5 and 6 year old. We have lived in San Diego, CA for 17 years and I'm originally from the bay area. My husband works for a large company headquartered in Atlanta. The door has always been open for him to move there. He is Director level but would have a lot more advancement opportunities if we moved. My two kids go to private school (10K each per year) because I'm not overly impressed with our public schools. So here is the question - our life here is good but I'll admit I'm a bit bored. We don't have any real "roots" keeping us here but the thought of uprooting our entire family is very frightening. We don't HAVE to move but the opportunity would have a financial upside. I have done a lot of research on where to live if we move and East Cobb looks to be the best fit. Our budget would be up to 650K but public schools would be a big part of that decision. A sense of community is important to us. I don't want to be driving my kids all over the city for activities and playdates which is why a sense of community is important. I hate traffic (which is even more of a joke to consider Atlanta) but I work from home so I can avoid most of this I believe. East Cobb is in close proximity to my husband's work and he wouldn't even have to get on the 400 to get there.
Am I crazy to leave "comfortable" and "enough" because I feel like a change may be a good thing? I have never lived on the East Coast so this would open up doors for new vacation locations (I've played Hawaii to death - yes I know that sounds terrible).
So anyone that can shed some perspective would be great. I plan to go out and visit in the next month and I'm sure that will help sway my decision.
Thanks in advance for the insight!
If you want to be near water, look into both the Cobb and Fulton sides of Roswell. The City of Roswell in Fulton has really nice bike and walking trails and the Chattahoochee River. You'll also want to talk with actual parents and spend some time in the area before making a final decision. The poster's suggestion about Vinings is a good one. The Smyrna and Vinings area is also very close to most of the prestigious private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta