Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving from Philadelphia to Atlanta for work and am not too familiar with the area, besides the occasional SEC Championship game... My office is in Sandy Springs but I don't want to live in a totally suburban area. I'm looking for a place with restaurants, bars, and shops that is walkable, and if it were near public transportation (within 15 minutes or so?), even better. I would prefer a rental house or townhome instead of an apartment, with a budget of 1200 to 1400, if possible. I've heard horror stories about the commute, so if you could recommend places that aren't too far from Sandy Springs that have independent restaurants and within my budget, I'd appreciate it! Other items of interest would be a place to take art or culinary classes in the evening nearby, or adult intramural teams, green spaces or parks, and areas of cultural interest. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,636,162 times
Is your office near the Marta stop in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:34 PM

Not sure if it's the same, but my office is near the Sandy Springs transit station. So, yes?

Old 01-04-2014, 03:12 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,636,162 times
I would recommend you getting an apartment first so that you can have more time to look for areas that you like. I would also recommend living in Inman Park. You will be close to the Marta Station and you can take Marta to work because traffic will be bad since your job is near Marta. Inman Park would fit you perfectly since you are looking for bars, restaurants, etc and it is right around the corner from "the city." It is also near Atlanta largest park called "Piedmont Park" which is home to PLENTY of festivals/ etc when it warms up. You will be also near Ponce City Market which is the largest food hall in America that is opening this summer and you will be near Krog St Market which is another food market opening in Inman Park in a couple of months.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,688,010 times
If your office is near the Sandy Springs MARTA station, there are several communities up and down Peachtree-Dunwoody Road and along Mount Vernon/Abernathy that would probably fit the bill, but $1200 - $1400 isn't going to get you much more than an apartment. Is there a particular reason you're looking for a house -- pets, etc.? The Sandy Springs MARTA station is on the north side of the Perimeter Mall district, which includes a great deal of shopping, restaurants, and workplaces, but relatively few bars within walking distance, unless you count the bars in the restaurants, or places like Cafe Intermezzo or Eclipse de Luna.

The Sandy Springs MARTA station is one stop further north than the Dunwoody MARTA station, which stops right next to Perimeter Mall. Gerry is correct in that Inman Park is an interesting neighborhood -- however, at your budget, you aren't going to be able to touch a house -- most of the single family homes around there start in the $2500's and go up quickly. $1200-$1400 is doable for a house, but only outside the Perimeter (the circle made by 285), and not within easy reach of reasonable public transportation. Even townhomes may be a little problematic.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:07 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,938,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_cayo_hueso View Post
Hi, I'm moving from Philadelphia to Atlanta for work and am not too familiar with the area, besides the occasional SEC Championship game... My office is in Sandy Springs but I don't want to live in a totally suburban area. I'm looking for a place with restaurants, bars, and shops that is walkable, and if it were near public transportation (within 15 minutes or so?), even better. I would prefer a rental house or townhome instead of an apartment, with a budget of 1200 to 1400, if possible. I've heard horror stories about the commute, so if you could recommend places that aren't too far from Sandy Springs that have independent restaurants and within my budget, I'd appreciate it! Other items of interest would be a place to take art or culinary classes in the evening nearby, or adult intramural teams, green spaces or parks, and areas of cultural interest. Thanks!
Look in cabbagetown, reynoldstown, edgewood, kirkwood, and east atlanta. Those areas are walkable, have parka, homes within your range, walking distance to retailers at edgewood retail district. There are a couple bars in cabbagetown and kirkwood. East atlanta has a concentration of bars, but is not on the rail line. It is just a couple miles away from a station.
I know several homes in kirkwood that are within your price range. 3 bars/restaurants are set to open in 2014 in downtown kirkwood. I commute via marta to sandy springs station as well. Its an easy, stress-free commute.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 PM

Thank you all for the tips! I was worried that an apartment complex might be full of college kids, since that was my experience when i was younger, but maybe that's not so any more. A house is still my preference, though, unless i can find a nice apt. As for commuting, I'll have a car but I'm used to taking a train up here in Philly and rather enjoy it. I'm glad to hear the city has a commuter rail. How are the buses? Thanks again for the input. I'll be in Atlanta in 2 weeks for work and will have time to check out your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Old 01-05-2014, 03:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,938,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_cayo_hueso View Post
Thank you all for the tips! I was worried that an apartment complex might be full of college kids, since that was my experience when i was younger, but maybe that's not so any more. A house is still my preference, though, unless i can find a nice apt. As for commuting, I'll have a car but I'm used to taking a train up here in Philly and rather enjoy it. I'm glad to hear the city has a commuter rail. How are the buses? Thanks again for the input. I'll be in Atlanta in 2 weeks for work and will have time to check out your suggestions. Much appreciated!
Buses are not the most reliable and for the most part feed into the stations. There is an app that has real time, GPS location, but not arrival. The buses get caught in the same traffic that plagues the metro. Also, MARTA does not operate commuter rail, I'm sorry if you got that impression. They operate a SEPTA-like HRT, subway. The trains are clean, on time, reliable, and fast. In april the trains will begin operating on 10 minute headways during peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: