Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times

Advertisements

In terms of housing/apartments.

Are there any areas that I should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Generally the further north you are the better and I would recommend staying around or above probably 10th St ideally. Maybe a few streets south but not close to North Ave.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Generally the further north you are the better and I would recommend staying around or above probably 10th St ideally. Maybe a few streets south but not close to North Ave.
Why 10th? There are some pretty nice places further south down Peachtree.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,250,231 times
I'd rather live on Ponce than almost anywhere else in town. It would be a great place to buy into.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
What's wrong with North Ave? I lived in Savannah Midtown Apartments a couple of years ago and I loved the area (Savannah Midtown Apartments - 215 North Avenue - Atlanta - EquityApartments.com). MARTA rail was not far, I could walk to restaurants, bars, Piedmont Park, and even the FOX Theatre. It was by far the best place for atmosphere and walkability that I have encountered so far. I am thinking about moving back from the Sandy Springs area as well.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:20 AM

183 posts, read 298,523 times
I would just be mindful of the area around North Ave and Piedmont. Its not necessarily bad or crime ridden, but there are alot of homeless that are in the area due to the shelter thats over there. They're not really a danger but can be annoying at times. Also that area is close to an area of Boulevard that is considered to be pretty hood. So in that general area, I would be a little cautious, however, you shouldn't have too many issues, I just wouldn't personally be out alone with my phone all out or listening to music. Other than that, anywhere in midtown would be perfectly fine.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Personally, I would prefer 5th St and above. What is below that is improving, but just not quite there yet in my mind.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
I'd rather live on Ponce than almost anywhere else in town. It would be a great place to buy into.
Two factors are going to have an enormous positive impact on Ponce. One, of course, is the Ponce City Market. The other would be (inevitable) redevelopment of the area around Atlanta Medical Center (Parkway and Boulevard). Once this happens, I believe it will open the door to making Ponce de Leon the premier E-W thoroughfare in Atlanta. It will also bring additional prestige to lower Midtown, Old Fourth Ward and Sweet Auburn.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
I've lived in the south end of midtown near north ave for nearly 6 years. If you are close to Peachtree its a great neighborhood and getting better all the time (currently two full blocks under construction with a rumor starbucks has signed a lease). Great freeway access, Publix right there, still lots of restaurants to walk to and its pretty cool having such a beautiful historic corner with the Fox Theatre, Georgian Terrance Hotel and Ponce Condos. Of course the north end of midtown is very attractive and nice as well, especially with Piedmont park close by and more restaurants and shops. You really can't go wrong either way though.

If there was one area that may be called midtown I would think twice on it would be close to ponce further east.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM

924 posts, read 1,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
What's wrong with North Ave? I lived in Savannah Midtown Apartments a couple of years ago and I loved the area (Savannah Midtown Apartments - 215 North Avenue - Atlanta - EquityApartments.com). MARTA rail was not far, I could walk to restaurants, bars, Piedmont Park, and even the FOX Theatre. It was by far the best place for atmosphere and walkability that I have encountered so far. I am thinking about moving back from the Sandy Springs area as well.
It is the only place I have seen someone shooting up heroin in the middle of the sidewalk. That is also a pretty long walk to Piedmont Park. Pretty much anywhere else in Midtown is better for all of those things except getting to the Fox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta