Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,797 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been a Georgia resident for about 10 years. I recently decided to move closer to my work but I realized I'm not very knowledgeable about the different parts of town in Atlanta. I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or condo inside the perimeter. Here are my criteria (in the order of decreasing importance)

1. Location: I would like to live close to I-285 East. Due to the nature of my job, I frequently commute up and down the highway from the intersection of I-85 and I-20.
2. Safety: Having lived in a quiet suburb for most of my time here, I want to continue living in a safe neighborhood.
3. Budget: I am fairly open on the budget.
4. School/children: It is not a consideration--they're old enough to be own their own..

Thank you for all your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Longtime OTP trying to move ITP: Help!-map.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:27 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldoehd View Post
Hi all,

I've been a Georgia resident for about 10 years. I recently decided to move closer to my work but I realized I'm not very knowledgeable about the different parts of town in Atlanta. I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment or condo inside the perimeter. Here are my criteria (in the order of decreasing importance)

1. Location: I would like to live close to I-285 East. Due to the nature of my job, I frequently commute up and down the highway from the intersection of I-85 and I-20.
2. Safety: Having lived in a quiet suburb for most of my time here, I want to continue living in a safe neighborhood.
3. Budget: I am fairly open on the budget.
4. School/children: It is not a consideration--they're old enough to be own their own..

Thank you for all your help!
Based on your criteria for living close to 285 on the eastside, I think the most obvious choice for safety, walkability, and transit access without budget constraints would be Decatur. You probably have the most options for condos and apartments there. However, make sure you stay in the CITY of Decatur limits (I think zipcode 30030). Do not look in the parts of Decatur that are actually in unincorporated DeKalb County. Within Decatur, the neighborhood of Oakhurst might be the most convenient for your commute.

Another good option would be Kirkwood, generally north of Hosea (the addresses that end in NE). I'm sure others will chime in with other areas, but those would be a good start. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Between Brookhaven and Decatur, which neighborhood fares better in terms of safety?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:24 AM

329 posts, read 637,954 times
how about the lofts / condos around the Chamblee MARTA station?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 AM

Interesting suggestion-- I hadn't thought of that area. I will definitely check them out!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. Between Brookhaven and Decatur, which neighborhood fares better in terms of safety?
I think Decatur proper might be a little safer. But there are areas with just a Decatur address in unincorporated DeKalb that are less safe than Brookhaven for sure. So if you do Decatur, make sure you are in the Decatur city limits.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:19 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think Decatur proper might be a little safer. But there are areas with just a Decatur address in unincorporated DeKalb that are less safe than Brookhaven for sure. So if you do Decatur, make sure you are in the Decatur city limits.
Yes, agreed. Both are very safe neighborhoods though - I wouldn't have concern in those neighborhoods at all. However, according to your map of frequent travel on 285, Decatur will be much more convenient.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Or North Decatur zip 30033 would be fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
I think it's kind of a toss up. There are parts of both I like and dislike.

There is a nice complex off Peachtree in what I assume is Brookhaven. Can't recall the name of it right this minute, but there's a Publix, Costco, and Marshall's among many restaurants and shops surrounding it. I have never encountered what I'd consider traffic congestion (like in Cobb) over there so it should not be hard getting to 285. At any rate, it's near Oglethorpe which could be an issue, but I don't think many college students live there.

My gym is down the street off Ashford-Dunwoody Rd. Maybe I just never visited the part of Chamblee that people love so much but a lot of the native Atlantans really seem to love it. That could be a good choice as well; they must like it for some reason.

If I personally wanted to have somewhat of a suburbs feel and have easy access to 285E, I'd likely go with the a place near Perimeter Mall.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
If I personally wanted to have somewhat of a suburbs feel and have easy access to 285E, I'd likely go with the a place near Perimeter Mall.
Traffic is terrible up that way however. Plus you are technically OTP if the OP is looking to cross that boundary to ITP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta