Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 39,879 times

Advertisements

Husband just accepted a job in the Perimeter Center (in Sandy Springs, located south of Peachtree-Dunwoody). So we're moving down there soon, hopefully.

1. Budget

$1300 a month for rent. We can go a little higher if necessary, but this is what we would prefer.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?

Preferably condo/apartment. We'd like a 2 BD 2 BA, but we are willing to compromise. We also have been seeing a lot of 1 BD with extra rooms (called a dens or study in the floor plans), which would also be fine. A lot of them seem to come with patios/decks, which would also be nice. A definite must is a washer/dryer in the unit (or at least hook ups). We also have two cats, so it needs to be pet-friendly. (Though I haven't seen any yet that aren't.)

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

I work from home. We have one vehicle. My husband wants to be able to take the MARTA to work when possible, but he can take the car if he has to.

4. Children(public school vs. private)

We have no children.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two

Right now, we don't care. But we'd prefer to be in Sandy Springs, somewhat close to where he works.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?

Important.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Don't care. We just want a place in a decent neighborhood.

My specific question is about apartment complexes. We've been looking around and we've seen a few nice places. I found one called The Reserve at Ridgewood, which seems to get great reviews. However, the rent is MUCH cheaper than other places we've looked at...not that that's a bad thing, but in an area like this I'm wondering if it's a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal. Does anyone have experience with this place? It wouldn't shock me to find out that management is leaving reviews to increase the rating, honestly. And some of the negative reviews tend to be about somewhat silly things (not all, but many). So I'm just not sure what to think!

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated! If you have suggestions for apartment complexes, I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 10:57 AM

924 posts, read 1,456,923 times
I don't have any specific recommendations really on apartments in that area other than my wife wasn't a fan of the management of one of the Gables properties off Ashford Dunwoody when she lived there back around 2007-2009. You do seem to be looking in the right area though, it is a nice area within your budget and close to your husband's job.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I don't have any specific recommendations really on apartments in that area other than my wife wasn't a fan of the management of one of the Gables properties off Ashford Dunwoody when she lived there back around 2007-2009. You do seem to be looking in the right area though, it is a nice area within your budget and close to your husband's job.
Good to know. Thank you, westau!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
I know that area well - to get from there to the Perimeter Center area during morning traffic would take about 30 minutes. During non-traffic hours, it would be 10 minutes or so.

It is an "OK" area - not great, but not sketchy or worrisome either.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I know that area well - to get from there to the Perimeter Center area during morning traffic would take about 30 minutes. During non-traffic hours, it would be 10 minutes or so.

It is an "OK" area - not great, but not sketchy or worrisome either.
Thanks, pinetreelover! There is one more question I have, if you're able to help. My husband just sent a message to Dunwoody Place, since they just had an opening. Any chance you know anything about them? They get decent reviews (the negative ones all seem fairly old, so I'm guessing management changed?) and they look really nice.

Sorry about all the questions--we're pretty nervous about the move, so basically anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks again!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wineandmeeples View Post
Thanks, pinetreelover! There is one more question I have, if you're able to help. My husband just sent a message to Dunwoody Place, since they just had an opening. Any chance you know anything about them? They get decent reviews (the negative ones all seem fairly old, so I'm guessing management changed?) and they look really nice.
You are correct about the change in management which occurred about 9 months ago.

Quote:
Sorry about all the questions--we're pretty nervous about the move, so basically anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks again!
Dunwoody Place Apartments is a really good location because of the nearly-direct elevated walkway access to and from the North Springs MARTA heavy rail/subway station which is located right next door to the Dunwoody Place Apartments.

Even though your husband will be working right nearby in Sandy Springs and likely will not need access to transit on a regular basis, being right next door within walking distance of a MARTA heavy rail station is a very-good thing because you will have direct rail transit access when needed to Buckhead (...Buckhead is Atlanta's Uptown business, shopping and residential district), Midtown/Downtown (particularly during major special events when parking may be hard to come by in the city) and the Atlanta Airport which is currently the busiest airport on the planet.

The value (and importance) of having that kind of direct access to the city and the airport by way of transit cannot be overstated in a large major metro region like Atlanta where getting around during peak hours can often be a challenge.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:09 AM

Born 2 Roll, I knew Dunwoody Place was closer to MARTA, but I didn't realize it was that close! That makes me feel much better, so I'm very glad you pointed that out. We sent management a message and I'm hoping to hear back soon. Thanks so much!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Dunwoody Place apparently wants us to pay $100 EACH for an application fee. Which I would get if we were roommates, but we're married, so that's completely ridiculous. Plus their ad saying the apartment is available "now" actually meant "in June." This place is starting to look more and more like it's run by idiots. Back to the drawing board, I guess....

Old 04-13-2014, 02:29 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Dunwoody Place apparently wants us to pay $100 EACH for an application fee. Which I would get if we were roommates, but we're married, so that's completely ridiculous. Plus their ad saying the apartment is available "now" actually meant "in June." This place is starting to look more and more like it's run by idiots. Back to the drawing board, I guess....
Don't be alarmed by the $100 application fee each that they asked for both of you. They likely asked for a $100 application fee from each of you for two reasons:

1) As a way to keep out the "riff-raff" (people with criminal records and criminal tendencies) and...

2) Because that particular location (a relatively well-kept apartment complex next to a heavy rail transit/subway station in a large major metro area with notorious traffic congestion issues) is in demand with people who have to commute into and out of the city but don't want to get on an often severely-congested GA 400 each day.

An apartment complex of decent/good quality that is in such an extremely high-demand location (in a very-popular major business/commercial/retail district next to a subway station in a large major metro area with too much traffic and too-little transit) can get away with asking for a $100 fee from each of its applicants despite having a few managerial issues in the past (Welcome to the big city...).

Also, the ad saying that the apartment is available now probably just means that they are taking applications ahead of time for when a tenant's lease expires in June and an apartment will come available in what is likely a very high-demand location next to.

Don't despair because you may not have been successful in finding something on this try as there is an overabundance of apartments and multi-family dwellings of all types all over the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/Top End Perimeter areas.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Don't be alarmed by the $100 application fee each that they asked for both of you. They likely asked for a $100 application fee from each of you for two reasons:

1) As a way to keep out the "riff-raff" (people with criminal records and criminal tendencies) and...

2) Because that particular location (a relatively well-kept apartment complex next to a heavy rail transit/subway station in a large major metro area with notorious traffic congestion issues) is in demand with people who have to commute into and out of the city but don't want to get on an often severely-congested GA 400 each day.

An apartment complex of decent/good quality that is in such an extremely high-demand location (in a very-popular major business/commercial/retail district next to a subway station in a large major metro area with too much traffic and too-little transit) can get away with asking for a $100 fee from each of its applicants despite having a few managerial issues in the past (Welcome to the big city...).

Also, the ad saying that the apartment is available now probably just means that they are taking applications ahead of time for when a tenant's lease expires in June and an apartment will come available in what is likely a very high-demand location next to.
I see! That wouldn't be so bad--$300 seems like a pretty small price to pay for extra security measures and easy access to the MARTA. Maybe too soon to rule that out, then. Though I worked at a place where I had to run background checks and stuff and they generally don't cost that much. And most states have laws saying landlords aren't allowed to make a profit from application fees...but I can't find what GA says about that so their law may be different. More research, I guess. Thanks!

Last edited by wineandmeeples; 04-13-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta