Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 PM

29 posts, read 88,705 times

Advertisements

Buy my house in Vinings Estates that I have for sale now (See other thread)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
I'd say that anywhere you pick try to live close to a MARTA rail station. Makes it easy to get to the airport and downtown.

I know someone will come on here and bash the MARTA and make some reference to personal danger but I use MARTA all the time. Sometimes teenagers get on and act up but they keep it amongst themselves and don't usually bother the people who ignore them. And by acting up I just mean talking loud and laughing loud and trash talking each other. And you can avoid that by sitting in the conductor's car...

I dream of the day MARTA compares to METRO....

Old 01-06-2008, 11:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankurias View Post
1/2 mile from a Marta station (easy to get to the airport)
The Bankhead MARTA station doesn't seem especially safe to me and I drove by there a lot when testing the commute from Mableton to downtown. Do you think taking MARTA from there is really an option right now? I think the Marta station you're speaking of has a lot of high-density low-income apartment housing right next to it. Although I think the area you are speaking of at the corner of Marietta Blvd and Marietta Street is ok to live, if not wandering too far at night, the 1/2 mile walk towards the Bankhead station is a bit far at night in that area in my opinion.

Last edited by netdragon; 01-07-2008 at 12:01 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,889 times
If you live in Smyrna/Vinings you don't need to worry about the ability of taking the MARTA to the airport or downtown because it's such an easy drive (in comparison to traffic elsewhere in Atlanta). Also, if you do live in Smyrna (which I do and highly suggest for your circumstances) avoid considering employment for yourself located by route of 400 North or I-85 N (outside of the perimeter) because you will be fighting unbearable traffic every single day to and from work. If you end up in Smyrna/Vinings consider, if possible, openings in Cobb Co. or the city (downtown, midtown, buckhead). Your drive might still be a 20-30 minute drive but you'll be moving!!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:35 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
As mentioned above, find both jobs first and then buy. Then you can narrow the buying area to mesh with both commutes.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:33 PM

42 posts, read 179,583 times
Wow, this is such helpful advice. Thank you! We ended up in Marietta. We couldnt find what we were looking for right in Smyrna and only had a couple of days to find something. I will keep in mind the advice about areas to avoid with my job search. Thats truly helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta