Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 07:20 AM

26 posts, read 37,284 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been living in Atlanta for 6 years now and the last year have been commuting from Buckhead to Norcross.

My family and I are considering a move to Milton/Alpharetta/Johns Creek as we have outgrown our current house.

Because Milton is the farthest from Norcross does anyone have experience with this commute?

We are looking at houses this weekend and I'd like to get some ideas about what is in store if we end up buying in this area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
expect hellacious traffic. there are no really good east-west routes in the northern suburbs, especially during commute times. the commute is two way, so there isn't really a 'reverse commute' here. the main road you will probably be taking is either 120 (which goes to duluth and the northern part of norcross) or holcomb bridge road which turns into jimmy carter boulevard.

i remember taking that drive during peak traffic time over 10 years ago and even then it was awful.

your only other option would be to go down 400 and come back up 85 via 285, but traffic isn't great there either.

i would probably try and locate somewhere along the I-85 corridor if you have to commute to norcross.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Thanks bryantm3, I appreciate the recommendation and we are looking closer to Johns Creek as well.

My current commute is 45 minutes from Buckhead to Norcross, do you think it would be significantly more than 45 minutes?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunbulldog View Post
Thanks bryantm3, I appreciate the recommendation and we are looking closer to Johns Creek as well.

My current commute is 45 minutes from Buckhead to Norcross, do you think it would be significantly more than 45 minutes?
i don't know; it depends how far east in norcross you're going. 30 minutes is the minimum; it takes that long at 4 AM. i'd probably guess 50 minutes on average. don't hold me to that, though! google maps is saying 32 minutes right now, and it's 6 PM. i've never been able to get there that quickly.

i'd guess you could probably do it if you're working on the west side of norcross, but if you've got to go around jimmy carter boulevard and 85 and all that, i'd think twice.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Appreciate the perspective and won't hold you to it, the office is closer to Peachtree Corners than to 85. I looked it up on Google during rush hour on Friday last week and it said about 45-50 minutes, checking here to make sure that wasn't an anomaly.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:23 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Appreciate the perspective and won't hold you to it, the office is closer to Peachtree Corners than to 85. I looked it up on Google during rush hour on Friday last week and it said about 45-50 minutes, checking here to make sure that wasn't an anomaly.
Since your job is located in Peachtree Corners, have you thought about purchasing a home and moving into the Peachtree Corners area?

Peachtree Corners is a great community with excellent schools in the attendance zones for Pinckneyville Middle School and Norcross High School and lots of amenities along the GA 141 Peachtree Parkway corridor.

If the commute between Peachtree Corners and North Fulton looks like it will be troublesome for you, Peachtree Corners might be worth a serious look.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Hello all, I've been living in Atlanta for 6 years now and the last year have been commuting from Buckhead to Norcross.

My family and I are considering a move to Milton/Alpharetta/Johns Creek as we have outgrown our current house.

Because Milton is the farthest from Norcross does anyone have experience with this commute?

We are looking at houses this weekend and I'd like to get some ideas about what is in store if we end up buying in this area.

Thanks in advance.
If the work location is in Norcross, look for homes in the following areas:

1. Peachtree Corners
2. East Roswell
3. Johns Creek
4. Duluth
5. Berkeley Lake

*The areas above will offer the same lifestyle you are looking for in Milton/Alpharetta (I assume schools, amenities, quality homes/neighborhoods, etc.) but with a much better commute.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, my wife and I have spent time looking at houses in many of the areas mentioned, Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Duluth, and Berkeley Lake in particular. There are many nice subdivisions in each of the areas but we want more land than we can find right now in these neighborhoods. We've put an offer in on a home in Milton with 1.3+ acres which is close to 400 so I think it is about as convenient as going from Milton to Norcross could possibly be, looks like 40-45 minutes at rush hour.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, my wife and I have spent time looking at houses in many of the areas mentioned, Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Duluth, and Berkeley Lake in particular. There are many nice subdivisions in each of the areas but we want more land than we can find right now in these neighborhoods. We've put an offer in on a home in Milton with 1.3+ acres which is close to 400 so I think it is about as convenient as going from Milton to Norcross could possibly be, looks like 40-45 minutes at rush hour.

Thanks everyone for the input!
Since you want more land, Milton makes sense.

But, if the offer falls through, keep looking in Milton, but you might you want to expand your search to other areas where "more land" for you could also be an option:

1. South Forsyth
2. Suwanee/Sugar Hill
3. Parts of Lawrenceville
4. Parts of Snellville
5. Grayson
6. West Dacula
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta