Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times

Advertisements

I grew up in CT. Buried powerlines were more common in big cities or anything in suburban developments after the mid 70s because of the big ice storms. Whenever they could, they buried more.

It's not as a high priority here because there aren't the ice storms. I'm not really sure why they built those giant utility towers in Cumberland and on S. Cobb Dr instead of conduits, but I imagine it was a cost thing.

If you ever go to San Fransisco, one of the most expensive places to live in the world, you'll notice all the overhead lines all over the place in some areas. Yet it's still very popular in those neighborhoods.

Over time, as areas get finished, lines will probably get buried. In the meantime, we have bigger fish to fry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
I was just thinking about this the other day as I turned from Howell Mill onto 14th. Big-ass pole on the corner with the lines making the corner, and a new apartment building being built on the corner. Someone's window looks to be no more than 10 feet from the lines. Terrible.

I think the number of lines running around this city is atrocious, but I'm sure it's stupidly expensive to bury them at this point. Plus, it would take 40 years of studies and discussions.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:02 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Those are pad mounted transformers. You do need them, but I don't even really notice them, even though my subdivision does have them. Much better than overhead lines, they kind of just blend into the scenery like fire hydrants. A lot of people plant bushes around them and conceal them.

I refused to even look at any houses that were within view of transmission lines.

I don't necessarily mind transmission lines as much as distribution lines because they require so much right of way and are generally out of the way....though, it is surprising to me to see them in shopping center parking lots like you see on Steve Reynolds Blvd near I-85, and I'm appalled by how many of them go over subdivisions! I would never live anywhere near them, but I don't think they are as ugly as distribution lines. They're just more symmetric, and I actually kind of enjoy seeing the designs of the big metal robot looking structures that hold them up. Though, I do wish we could be artistic about it sometimes, like these:

These are cool...

Especially the 3rd and 6th.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I think it depends on the development,aesthetics, and what they did.

There is a big pro and con attached to it. It is a guaranteed open space where you don't have a neighbor, so if it backs up to your back yard and you have a small tree buffer you can potentially get the extra privacy without being able to afford extra property.

But it is just hit or miss. I have seen some neighborhoods around me where I really didn't mind at all. It seemed like nice open space and private and I have seen some areas where it was ugly overgrown and not well thought out.

Some people even own the land, so they can maintain a large lawn or grassy area. I know it sounds silly, but it is the advantage of having a 1 acre plot for the price of a 1/3 acre plot in an area where there is not much inventory of properties that large.
I wouldn't buy near them. I doubt they cause any problems, but with lots of choices not by major transmission lines, why do it? We are electrical creatures. It could cause an impact.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I wouldn't buy near them. I doubt they cause any problems, but with lots of choices not by major transmission lines, why do it? We are electrical creatures. It could cause an impact.
Well its not for everyone, but like I said there are areas where it gives people an extra yard for essentially no extra cost. I think that is the why.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We are electrical creatures. It could cause an impact.
I'd be more concerned about the cell phone in your pocket. If you live downwind from a high voltage line, that may be problematic due to ionization. But the low voltage power lines are not really a risk.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
like I said there are areas where it gives people an extra yard for essentially no extra cost.
Maybe, but is it really worth the brain cancer?

As was said, this is likely not a risk....but the jury is still out, we don't know for absolute sure. Repeat exposure to high voltage transmission lines over many years may cause a problem. Or it may not.

I say, why even risk it? All it takes is one study suggesting a strong linkage before your house becomes more or less worthless. Then there's the cell mutation that you have experienced. It's all individual risk tolerance. But I also charge my cell phone in another room when I sleep at night. It's true, I carry it with me all day, but do I really need to have it next to my head when I sleep at night, too? I just don't do it.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:13 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
GP will propose that the true cost to them for buried lines is the periodic maintenance costs, which, as you can imagine, is likely quite high.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
i guess i'm the opposite of ATLTJL; i don't mind the regular power lines along the streets as much as i do the high voltage lines that cut huge gashes through the landscape. have you seen the new northern section of piedmont park that has those horrible things going through it? gosh that's really terrible. out in the country like in the photos above, it's not that big of a deal, but when you cut out a 200 foot wide path of complete destruction through the middle of a city just to put some power lines in, that really sucks.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Those are pad mounted transformers. You do need them, but I don't even really notice them, even though my subdivision does have them. Much better than overhead lines, they kind of just blend into the scenery like fire hydrants. A lot of people plant bushes around them and conceal them.

I refused to even look at any houses that were within view of transmission lines.

I don't necessarily mind transmission lines as much as distribution lines because they require so much right of way and are generally out of the way....though, it is surprising to me to see them in shopping center parking lots like you see on Steve Reynolds Blvd near I-85, and I'm appalled by how many of them go over subdivisions! I would never live anywhere near them, but I don't think they are as ugly as distribution lines. They're just more symmetric, and I actually kind of enjoy seeing the designs of the big metal robot looking structures that hold them up. Though, I do wish we could be artistic about it sometimes, like these:

The third and sixth are like metallic Ents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: