Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,149,849 times

Advertisements

So, up north, parents have to pay a registration fee (approx $100 when I was in school in the 80's and 90's) for each kid at the beginning of the year. The schools end up having alot more money with which to work and the parents tends to take education seriously. Also, parents have to pay for your books and pay again if you lose them. K-5 school of 500 students has an extra 50000 - each year. $250,000 over five years.

Would you pay it? Would you vote for a mandatory registration fee per child for public school?

Before anyone starts asking, yes, parents who were on welfare also had to pay. Paying the yearly reg fee was/is just par for the course and the schools use it for school resources.

I was talking to a friend who is from the south and she insisted that southerners would never do it bc they are used to getting school and books, etc. for the price of property taxes and that southerners have an issue with paying extra to any government group. I insisted that if the money went to the school, people would vote for this statewide legislation. It could go to books, technology, capital improvements, teacher salary (my husband, for example, has not had a real raise in 5 years and he works for APS - no money in the budget).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
I would consider it if (a) it was guaranteed that the money would actually stay with the school where you pay the fee and (b the uber high paid "administrators" in the head office of APS took 40% salary cuts and reduced their ranks by 50%.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Where did you live where there was a registration fee? Some school systems have instituted an activity fee if a kid is involved in sports or other extra-curricular activities. That happens every time there's a recession which cuts tax revenue. Many impose a lock charge for PE.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,836,439 times
Our school had an activity fee but not a registration fee. It was $50 a year and more if you were involved in various other activities. It was also per family. My mom had 4 kids in the public school system at one time and only had to pay the $50 activity fee. She did have to pay an additional $50 for me to play softball and be in the band and my brother to play football and also be in the band, but they were not required for registration.

I actually think it would be illegal for someone to mandate a registration fee for a public school, but it would depend on the district. It seems that registration fees would defeat the purpose of "public" schools as many parents could have truant children and have the excuse that they didn't have the money to pay the registration fee. I am not from the south. I would pay the fee, but they would have to re-word it. I wouldn't pay a "registration fee." A pre-k here in Atlanta tried to get me to pay a registration fee for pre-k last year for my daughter and I called the state and reported them.

FWIW, we also had pretty expensive graduation fees. They have them in APS as well. My relative was shocked that she had to pay $350 for her child to graduate high school. She had lost her job and couldn't afford to pay that. They did let him graduate but when he needed his transcript for college, they wouldn't let him get it until she paid off the fee.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Schools are required to make arrangements for those students on Free and Reduced Meals. Whether that would have helped your relative, though, I don't know.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,149,849 times
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Where did you live where there was a registration fee? Some school systems have instituted an activity fee if a kid is involved in sports or other extra-curricular activities. That happens every time there's a recession which cuts tax revenue. Many impose a lock charge for PE.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,885 times
Only had this in Maryland, if you played a sport not for regular k-12.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:37 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
In 42 years of living in the northeast, I never heard of, nor paid, any registration fees.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM

813 posts, read 1,134,340 times
I thought I read some place that schools in Buford required a yearly tuition?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,783,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I thought I read some place that schools in Buford required a yearly tuition?
My understanding is there is a way where some people from outside the city (limits) can buy their way in and pay an annual tuition and it makes up 20% of their students body.

I couldn't tell you a thing about it though. I just know I read it one time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta