Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 28,005 times

Advertisements

I'm a retiring, middle-aged black female looking to relocate from Michigan to Georgia by this time next year. I need pointers on areas to live in. I'm very outgoing..into promoting shows..(Fashion Shows & Entertainment), so I would like to live in an area where there's a mature night life with Live Entertainment..Bands, Singers.. (R&B--Smooth Jazz).--- Ballroom dancing, Stepping, Hustle/Line Dancing & Bowling is a must, (I'm a league bowler!)..lots of Shopping, Beauty Shops & Nice but very Reasonable Apartments. I would really like to have all of these things close so I won't have to drive too far to get from A to B. I know it's crazy, but I hate highway driving!! Any suggestions and info on cities/counties will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 11:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terisanjazz View Post
I'm a retiring, middle-aged black female looking to relocate from Michigan to Georgia by this time next year. I need pointers on areas to live in. I'm very outgoing..into promoting shows..(Fashion Shows & Entertainment), so I would like to live in an area where there's a mature night life with Live Entertainment..Bands, Singers.. (R&B--Smooth Jazz).--- Ballroom dancing, Stepping, Hustle/Line Dancing & Bowling is a must, (I'm a league bowler!)..lots of Shopping, Beauty Shops & Nice but very Reasonable Apartments. I would really like to have all of these things close so I won't have to drive too far to get from A to B. I know it's crazy, but I hate highway driving!! Any suggestions and info on cities/counties will be appreciated. Thanks!!
If you are looking to be immediately close to all of the places and activities that you describe without having to drive on the freeway (or heavily-congested high-speed surface roads), you might potentially be out-of-luck.

...That's because even though Metro Atlanta may have most, if not all, of the type of places, activity and nightlife that you describe, the type of places that you describe are fairly dispersed amongst multiple areas in South Fulton, Clayton and South DeKalb counties with more nightlife spots maybe in Cobb (South Cobb) and Gwinnett (Norcross area) counties.

Part of the Metro Atlanta social/nightlife tradition for many (but not all) is hopping in the car and jumping on the freeway to hit up the nightclubs in another part of the metro area.

The area with the largest concentration of nightlife for the more mature R&B/Smooth Jazz set that immediately comes to mind is along Old National Highway south of the I-285 Perimeter in the College Park area of South Fulton County. There are also many more of those types of nightclubs dispersed throughout South DeKalb County (there are some along Memorial Drive and Covington Highway) with maybe a few more nightclubs in North DeKalb and in the Sandy Springs area of North Fulton (along the GA Hwy 9 Roswell Road corridor).

There might also be some of the clubs that you describe in the City of Atlanta, though many black nightclubs in the City of Atlanta are often (but not always) aimed at the younger more Hip-Hop oriented hipster set.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:19 PM

19 posts, read 28,005 times
Thank you so much for your reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta